Family Holiday Idea's

Search

Family Holiday Idea's

Search this Thread

Old Nov 13th, 2013, 03:36 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Family Holiday Idea's

Hello, I am new to this Forum. I am interested in hearing some idea's for a suitable Holiday Destination. My Wife and I have two small Boys, a 4 year old and a 1 year old. I am looking at going away on a foreign holiday next summer, the boys will be 1 year older of course by then. A friend of ours highly recommended Cambrils in Salou Spain, however they are booked out for the time we require.
We would like to go away anywhere in Europe for 10 days next summer, and I would love to hear some recommendations on a Family Friendly Destination for small kids , and still close enough to a nice classy town where we could enjoy a nice meal in the evenings.

Many thanks,

Damien
Old Nov 13th, 2013, 05:26 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
There literally hundreds of places that fit that criteria. What research have you done? Do you have any guide books?

Most places in Europe are 'family friendly'.

What sorts of things domyounwant to see/do?
Old Nov 13th, 2013, 06:31 PM

Are you looking for a resort - with activities for kids - or just lodging - near a beach? Or in the countryside? Will you fly or drive there? What other activities do you want?
Old Nov 13th, 2013, 07:41 PM

That's way too vague a request. What research have you done in guidebooks and with maps, etc., to narrow down the choices?

And what's with all the initial caps?
Old Nov 14th, 2013, 01:48 AM

Too vague. It would be helpful to share the following information:

1. Home airport
2. Budget for airplane tickets
3. Budget for remainder of trip
4. Travel dates (since you seem to have those already selected)
5. Can you drive a manual transmission auto?
6. Do you or your wife speak any foreign languages that you want to practice?
7. Any places you want to avoid?

Also, "Family Friendly Destination" is a misnomer since any place you go will have *gasp* families living there already and so are "family friendly" by default. Did you perhaps have a different meaning of "Family Friendly Destination"?
Old Nov 14th, 2013, 01:58 AM
Original Poster

Apologies for the Vagueness, my Wife and I are new to Family Holidays. Over 5 years ago we were going all over the world, on Cruises etc as a Couple before the kids came along.
We have not gone on a foreign holiday in a few years other than a weekend in Euro Disney when our eldest had just turned 3, as our boys have been too small. But next year we plan on going on a Family Holiday. We both are very easy going and are open to any suggestions. We live in Ireland and would be open to Spain, Portugal, France, Croatia, Germany , as I said we are open to going anywhere. All I am looking for is a good recommendation from a Family whom have had an excellent experience at a European destination. We would like to go somewhere where a 5 and a 2 year old will be well catered for, a Resort with loads of activities for small children. We will be Flying.
If this again is too Vague don't worry about replying, I will try working with a Travel Agent.
Many thanks,

Damien
Old Nov 14th, 2013, 02:35 AM

Will the oldest be in school by then? If not go in June or September rather than the peak summer months. Still lots of young kids, but not as crowded, or as hot.

My son took our grandsons to a campsite in Italy when they were the ages of your boys. They rented a cabin on the campsite, which also offered pre-set up tents, and caravans. It had a couple of pools, and the sea, and enough interesting things for the adults in the area too.
There are plenty of such places throughout France and Italy, and they offer everything you need with young kids.

Alternatively consider a gite in France, and rent a car.
Or look at all-inclusive in Turkey or similar.
Old Nov 14th, 2013, 08:20 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I'd look at the Mosel valley, not too hot, municipal pools, swings etc in each village. Hotels are not too expensive, trains and boats are easy to catch off to other places. Campsites too.

Good advice above too
Old Nov 14th, 2013, 08:34 AM

How about glamping?
Try googling glamping France or whatever.
Old Nov 14th, 2013, 08:42 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
With two young kids you need a pool or a beach (or both), good weather and a laid back atmosphere. The answer IMO is Mallorca. Avoid the loud resorts like Palma Nova or Magaluf and have a look at Andratx, Pollenca, Puerto Pollenca to name but a few.

On the east side of the island there are great beaches at places like Cala d'Or and lots of choice for hotels or apartments depending on your preferences. There are loads of restaurants to have a nice family evening meal and the food is generally very good.

If this was my choice, I'd stay at Puerto Pollenca for the beach and restaurant choices, its access to Pollenca itself and hire a car to see the island.
Old Nov 17th, 2013, 02:25 PM
Original Poster

Thank you to everyone for your help and suggestions. When I was looking into the holiday planning in more detail I was shocked that a lot were already booked up. Thank you Rubicund for the Puerto Pollenca suggestion. We were there once for a week and absolutely loved it. The town was so beautiful and classy, fabulous restaurants. I did look into booking there again following your suggestion. But whilst I was researching I came across a Camping Park called Sangui Salou. Camping Sangulí is located about 100 kilometres from Barcelona, in Salou, the capital of the Costa Dorada (Tarragona).
The beach is about 50 metres from Camping Resort Sangulí Salou, and the seafront promenade will take you right into the centre of Salou. The fishing town of Cambrils is 5 km from Camping Sangulí Salou. The Airport in Reus is just 10 km from the Resort and we can fly there with Ryanair. Most of the summer was already booked up for the accommodation we wanted. There was just two of the Villa Paradise Bungalows left for 10 days in the middle of June, so we booked it straight away, and then booked the flights. http://www.sanguli.es/en/accommodations

So thanks again everyone, we are now booked and it looks very well geared for the two boys. And if they are happy we will be happy.

Damien