Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

COLLISION Insurance in Italy - is it necessary or a scam?

Notices

Old May 28th, 2001, 01:38 PM
Veronica

The car rental companies strongly recommend collision insurance in addition to the mandatory theft coverage. Are there that many accidents &/or problems? What to do if you're in one? First time in Italy...

Old May 28th, 2001, 02:19 PM
andy

Yes-you definitely need collision,theft and any other insurance they offer in italy--it is one of the few places your credit card car insurance will NOT cover due to the high amount of break-ins and theft of vehicles. In fact, if you purchase something and iommediately go and lock it in the trunk, get inthe car and move it to a completely different parking place. A friend of mine rented a car in italy ,went shopping,put new leather coats in trunk and went back to shopping. When he got back to car, trunk had been broken into and all stuff including his luggage was GONE. Take out all the insurance you can get. Be aware of scams of people trying to help you change tires etc. adn make sure you carry a cell phone that can be used in ITALY.

Old May 28th, 2001, 04:10 PM
Sherry

Be very sure that if you take the insurance offered by the rental car company that there is NO deductible. Ask specifically. They will not necessarily volunteer the information. It is not true that credit cards will not cover you for CDW in Italy. But not all credit cards cover you. If you find a credit card that will cover you in Italy it will probably have 100% coverage if you have an accident. Just do your homework. And compare total costs of rental agreements.

Old May 28th, 2001, 08:35 PM
Andy

Veronica- American EXpress will NOT cover you for a car in Ireland,Italy nor Israel. If you use any other credit card company be sure and ask for specific questions-such as does it cover broken windshields and tire damage- AMEX does NOT cover these items. Another FOdorite told me his experience and I re-thought whether it was worth saving approx. $200 and end up with o deductable, but no coverage for tires and windshields. SO I decided NOT to press my luck and took out coverage with the car company(AUTO EUROPE) and took the extra super CDW which left me with a $100 deductable and all above items were covered in total.

Old Jun 14th, 2001, 08:23 AM
Maurice

My Canadian VISA is not a fancy one (not Gold or Platinum). It offers rental car insurance coverage if the card is used to rent. READ THE FINE PRINT - Only in NORTH AMERICA!
Side note: Only autos. An SUV is (rightly!) not considered an auto and not covered anywhere.
I suppose if you have one of those fancy Platinum cards, experiences may vary...

Old Jun 14th, 2001, 09:36 AM
Marilyn Ham

Since I am a big fan of Rick Steves who travels on the cheap and he recommends that you spend for the extra insurance, we did. Marilyn

Old Jun 14th, 2001, 09:54 AM
Lee

Many car rental companies will charge a huge deposit on your credit card if you do not take their collision damage waiver. I know people who had up to $3500 charged on their card as a security deposit until the car is returned. If you have a large credit line, this may not be a factor but beware in any case....

Old Jun 14th, 2001, 11:37 AM
Joe

To Sherry,
Can you tell me one credit card that covers CDW in Italy? Bet you can't becasuse there are none.

Old Jun 14th, 2001, 03:56 PM
anne

Veronica - hope you enjoy your trip to Italy. It's a wonderful country. I don't know how much driving you are planning on doing, but it wasn't much fun. The maps were difficult to read (many didn't include the route numbers - good luck navigating) and fellow drivers lived up to their reputation for being pretty crazy. I live in the NYC area & regularly drive in, so I'm accustomed to crowded roads, etc. My next visit to Italy? I'll stick to the trains whereever possible.

Old Jun 14th, 2001, 04:35 PM
Maureen

Veronica,
We will be renting a vehicle while in Italy through "Auto Europe." Their prices are very reasonable and include CDW, theft and the sales tax. For peace of mind I think its worth it. Also our motor association strongly recommended an International drivers license.
Maureen

Old Jun 14th, 2001, 06:09 PM
Sherry

Sorry Joe, but you are not correct. My MBNA Platinum credit Master Card most certainly covers me 100% for the CDW in Italy. I used this card to rent in Italy in August of 2000 and I DID NOT PURCHACE ANY ADDITIONAL CDW COVERAGE from Hertz. I have never purchased any additional CDW in Europe during the four times I have rented cars there. I have only rented one time in Italy. I do not like the thought of an accident. I have been lucky and never had one. But I just do not feel comfortable with the deductibles imposed even with insurance by the rental car companies. And sometimes extra insurance cannot be purchased. I believe I still have the original rental agreement from Hertz for the Italy trip with NO CDW on it. And I drove the car for ten days. I was very careful to check with my credit card before I traveled. It is true that some companies WILL NOT ALLOW you to rent a car from them without purchasing their extra coverage. But I most certainly did.

Old Jun 14th, 2001, 06:21 PM
ingrid

Whoa, I better call my credit card companies. We'll be renting a car in Germany and I was surprised to see that you can't drive rental BMW, Mercedes, and even Volkswagen into Italy!

Old Jun 15th, 2001, 06:34 AM
Ingrid

I called Master Card asist and listened to the car rental coverage automated message. They didn't say that Italy is excluded but said that there might be difficulties to decline CDW when renting a car. Made it sound like it was the car rentals office idea. The guy from AutoEurope told me that this should tell me something, but I'm not quite sure what. So, has anybody ever filed a claim for something that happened in Italy? I'll rent my car in Germany andn will travel to Switzerland and Italy.

Old Jun 15th, 2001, 06:43 AM
Ed

Collision coverage of some kind is certainly wise when driving in Italy. If you go without it you're either fairly wealthy or ignorant. One could almost say collisions are mandatory in Italy.

As to where you get the collision insurance, the first thing to do is check with your card issuer as that would be the least expensive (free). And be sure you use that card for the rental, otherwise you won't be covered!

Most rental companies will not permit high-value vehicles (e.g. BMWs, Mercedes) to be driven into Italy ... theft rates are extremely high. Similarly most rental companies won't let there cars go into most of Eastern Europe.

twenj

Old Jun 15th, 2001, 07:03 AM
ingrid

This is what my MasterCard (Platinum) says:

Where you're covered:
In general, coverage is accepted worldwide, but there are exceptions. You may experience an inability to use this service in Australia, Ireland, Israel, Italy, Jamaica and New Zealand. Please contact your car rental company before you travel.
Coverage is not available where prohibited by law.
So, that tells me that I can use my CDW provided by my MasterCard when I rent the car in Germany; my reservation voucher does not say that I cannot decline CDW, only that I can't drive a BMW or Mercedes into Italy (which I wasn't planning on doing anyways).
Still, the question remains: Doe snaybody have experience with filing a claim with their credit car for a loss in Italy?

Old Jun 15th, 2001, 08:11 AM
az

Sherry is right on target. Both my MBNA Platinum MC and First USA Platinum VISA provide the coverage. But even easier: have you talked to your current auto insurance agent? Mine (Farm Bureau) provides the same coverage on the rental car that I have on my principal auto because the rental car is regarded as a "replacement vehicle" while I am on vacation. But for Italy, at least, you will almost certainly get a lower rental rate WITH the coverage than WITHOUT, at least from the major rental companies (Hertz, Avis, etc.). And by going w. a major, you don't run the risk of unattended rental desks at the airport/train station; on both of my recent visits to Termini Station in Rome, I noticed unattended desks for less well known companies. With Hertz, I paid just under $26/day, including tax, insurance--everything, for a small car w. AC and standard transmission.

And please don't be overly concerned with all the horror stories about driving in Italy: if you enjoy driving, you will enjoy driving in Italy (yes, traffic in cities is a mess, but so are NYC, LA, Houston, etc. etc.); if you don't enjoy driving, you won't enjoy driving in Italy.
For a tongue-in-cheek guide to driving in Italy, see "Rules for Driving the Amalfi Coast" (posted 6/10/01 on this forum), and especially Christina's respone to them!

Old Jun 15th, 2001, 10:11 AM
ingrid

Limiting factor this time is that the CDW coverage through credit cards is apparently only for fewer than 15 consecutive days. So, I'll split up my rental since I'll be in Germany for one week before going to Italy.
BTW, I'm not scared of driving in Italy. Hey, I grew up on the German autobahns but I guess I have been in the US long enough to start worrying. My husband, who frequently travels in Europe, never buys CDW--- but then, I'm the worrier in the family.
And, no, my insurance (Nationwide) does not cover rentals abroad.