Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   College student looking to travel in UK, ideas?? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/college-student-looking-to-travel-in-uk-ideas-17690/)

Laurie Oct 4th, 1997 07:51 PM

College student looking to travel in UK, ideas??

Hi everyone! I was wondering if anybody had any suggestions for a low budget college student travel ideas for Spain, Italy, Holland, Germany, Belgium or Switzerland. Preferably Spain and Italy, but any would be wonderful. I have already traveled to G.B., France, Ireland and Scotland with my college, however there is nothing else available for travel now. I would love the opportunity to travel to some of these other countries while I still have the time. If anyone would be kind enough to suggest inexpensive ways for a college student to travel abroad, I would really appreciate your input! I am looking for anything and everything at this point! :-) Guided tours, packages, individual, etc.. Thank you for your time and help! Laurie

Tricia Oct 5th, 1997 01:42 AM

I know of a place in Holland you might like, especially if you like a clean, safe, fun environment. Its about 1 hours drive from Amsterdam to a a town called Harlingen. Don't miss the Dykes along the way and watch for the sailboats in the canals- they look like they are sailing on grass. Harlingen is an adorable Dutch town on the beachfront. Weekends in July and August see many German tourists. There are a chain of 5 islands about 20 miles out from the coasts and the tourists flock there. There is a fast ferry and a slow ferry that leave all the time. You can take a bike over or rent one there. You can stay in hotels, pensions or hostels. Terschelling-West is the biggest town on the island. There is a 400 year old lighthouse, black Dutch ponies for hire, an old Dutch windmill converted to a pub in Midsland, a darling market square with great bakeries, restuarants, shops and pubs. Bikes are king- have the right of way over cars. Many small boats with families come from all over to stay in the harbor. Its fun to walk and see the different sailboats etc.
There is a pine tree forest through the old dunes that takes you from one side of the island to the other. One half of the island is a famous nature preserve. There is a prestigious naval academy that young men attend for 4 years there. We stayed at Hotel Europa. Close to town, cheap, they will serve you breakfast and lunch for a little additional and its GREAT food! Let me know if interested, I have phone numbers for reservations etc. Two other places I loved were Rothenburg, German, a city that dates back to 800's and is BEAUTIFUL and Brugge, Belgium.

Laurie Oct 5th, 1997 10:54 AM

Hi! Thank you for your information. I appreciate it very much!! :-) I would love it even more if you could inform me of the phone numbers you mentioned. Thank you again for your help!

Tricia Oct 5th, 1997 02:21 PM

Here is Hotel Europa, Europalaan 35, Terschelling-West, ph 011 31 562-442241. Fax is 011 31 562 44 31 25. When in the country itself drop the 011 31 and add a 0 in front of the 5 (if i remember correctly) The Terschelling Toursist office sent me a really nice brochure. They are on the internet but their ph is 011 31 562 44 30 00. Ask them for a map and a list of hotels and pensions. Now at Hotel Europa you can use the communal showers, which are very clean and men/womean separate or get a room with a shower. They have the door from the hall going into a hall with closets then another little room with the shower. From this room is a separate door (that locks) going into a room with a couple of chairs and a desk and coffee table. But two twin beds. The stripped down rooms come with two twin beds, a sink and table and closet. I left my fan there, ask them if you can borrow it!! Ask for the side that faces the pine tree forest, not the lighthouse side! Otherwise that huge beam comes in your room every 6 seconds. All rooms have a door opening onto a little balcony which is nice. So many European rooms doen't have a fan, or window. Holland has 7200 miles of bikes trails, called Feitspads. Very very nice. I met a sailor/artist in the pub who paints pictures of the island and had sailed all over the world. I got hooked on Heinken that night. They also have WWII bunkers the Germans made the villagers build during the war and they are on the left side of town as you look at the island from the boat. They also have rooms there, but you need to book 1 year in advance. Ask the VVV and ask for Saski (a friend) Also there was a couple going there for their honeymoon and in this forum they wanted to gather others who wanted to meet them their and do some biking. If you scroll back you may be able to hook up with them!!
Let me know how you do!

Laurie Oct 6th, 1997 03:13 PM

Hi again!! And thank you so much, again!! Your information will be so very helpful!!! If and when I get there I will personally look for your fan!! LOL Thank you again for your help. P.S. I got hooked on Heinikin in Paris!!! :-) Good stuff!!