Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

college couple looking for mykonos hotel - Please Help!

May 3rd, 2006, 06:56 AM
Original Poster

I'm planning to be in Mykonos the first week of June and I'm so excited. I'm looking for a hotel priced around 100 euros or less. I would also like a hotel that's close to a popular beach, but also close to the nightlife. I've done some homework and it seems like Platis Gialos is a good area for my needs. Does anyone have any suggestions about good hotels in this area? I've looked at booking Petasos and Argo seriously. I've also considered Palace, Palladium and Nissaki. Are these places any good? Also, what is the nightlife like? I've read some posts stating that is dangerous and not to take drinks that have been open. Is this true? If so, then where are there safe places to party? I would appreciate any help. Especially from Thanos. I've heard so much pleading for Thanos' Mykonos expertise. Thanks!
May 3rd, 2006, 07:30 AM

I went to Mykonos two years ago. Arrived by boat around 1:30 in the morning. There were many people waiting by the boat with photos of their hotels and they drove us to a hotel with our luggage. He charged us $40 for the room, which was within walking distance to the downtown area, and had its own private bathroorm. He said, you can pay me in the morning. The next day we had to leave because we had booked a nice 150 Euro hotel for two nights. The bathroom in the second hotel was so small, you could sit on the toilet and take a shower at the same time.

You are arriving before High Season so you might want to wait until you arrive in Mykonos to find a hotel unless you have money to burn. You might want to rent a car so you can check out the entire island, including Super Paradise.
May 3rd, 2006, 08:43 AM

Hello

Your choices are very good. Well done!

The Petasos Bay is next to the other hotel in the group and they use same facilities. For smallness and perhaps more relaxed and intimate surrounds then I think the Petasos Bay is better choice than the Petasos Beach also theyr rates are better. Location is excellant and you will very much enjoy Platy Yialos and Psarrou beaches which is only short distances from hotels.

The Argo hotel is not on beach but a little back and behind some buildings. Views from sea view rooms are very good and think standard is OK. I never hear complains about the Argo but you must remember facilities you have at Petasos and it's sister hotel will be more plentiful.

The Palladium I know little about but pass it many times. It is not on beach and maybe a little older style but views will be very good. I hear nothing bad about this hotel. It is on a hill so if difficulty walking may not be so good.

The Nissaki is a B class hotel with maybe best views, especially of Psarrou. Again, a smaller hotel which means perhaps good service and more attention, but I do not know for sure. Good location and I have read good recommendations but cannot recall where. Sorry.

The Palace is bigger hotel, three small hotels joining together. It is located on beach. If you go here do not choose garden rooms. It's location is very good but there will be some beach noise. It is known for that here and I know of peoples who have transferred to other hotels.

If had to choose it would be Petasos Bay or the Nissaki.

Nightlife in early June will be good. It will not be very very busy but all clubs and bars will be open. I think Mykonos is same as anywhere else, take care when drinking in any bar or club. I never here of problems you mention though. But is easy to watch barman open bottle for you and never leave it alone by itself.

Again, I never here of problems but treat our island as you would anywhere else and be careful. Greece has lowest crime rate in Europe but still things could happen.

If you have more questions please ask and I will try and assist.
May 6th, 2006, 03:56 PM
Original Poster

Thanks so much Wally and Thanos! I sincerely appreciate the help. I decided on Petasos Beach Hotel because I actually found better rates for this hotel than the bay one. Thanos, I have a couple more questions. What areas are good for nightlife for a couple in their early 20s? We're college students looking for a good time and I love to dance. Do you have any suggestions? Also, what is the best way to get to the Paradise and Super Paradise beaches? Can you get their by taxi or water taxi? Thanks again
May 7th, 2006, 11:29 AM

hello stcarter

You will be located at Platis Yialos and from there you have access to regular boat service to Paradise and Super Paradise. Also, small walk from Paradise on cliff looking down on beach every late afternoon/evening party and dancing begin at a club there called Cavo Paradiso. This is one of most popular places for dancing and fun times on the island.

In town there are very many bars and clubs offering all kinds of dancing and nightclubbing. I do not visit them now so best idea is to speak to local people when in bar and they will tell you where best town centre clubs for dancing and entertainment are.

Please enjoy your trip

thanos
May 9th, 2006, 01:49 PM

I found your thread b/c i am going to Mykonos in August and need to find a hotel. I know that august is terrible but i dont have a choice...As for hotels, I am not sure what area of the island to be in and I was hoping you have some wisdom on that.

stcarter - how come you decided to stay by Platis Gialos? I am also in my 20's and want to go to beaches and party at night. I thought that it might be better to stay in or near Mykonos town so that we are closer to the restaurants and bars. I think we are going to rent a car anyway so I thought it would be easier to travel to the beaches during the day than to have to drive around for dinner at night. How come you decided that Platis Gialos was the perfect combo? Although someone told me that the good clubs are not in town anyway - is that true?

If anyone has advise on a hotel that is within walking distance of Mykonos town or in general recommendations about where to stay in Mykonos they are welcome. Specifically I was wondering if anyone knows anything about Hermes Hotel and Adonis. Thank you.
May 11th, 2006, 09:22 AM

I happened to run across your question while looking up nightlife options from the computer in the lobby of the Argos Hotel in Mykonos (in the Plytos Gialos area). I like the place so much that I thought I should recommend it for your stay.They have net access, it's a very short walk to the beach, some of the rooms overlook the sea, they offer a free breakfast in their airy bar, it is clean, and the staff is very nice. Also, when we arrived off the ferry they had a van waiting. They have a website, so you can check it out for yourself. We also like the first restaurant on the beach (they have white cushions out front)good food nice staff