Search

colchester - u of essex - need help!

Search this Thread

Old Jun 17th, 2003, 12:54 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
colchester - u of essex - need help!

hello fellow fodorites!

well, i posted a thread many months ago to ask for info on both the university of sheffield and the university of essex (and the cities of sheffield and colchester etc). it turns out that despite all of the wonderful information we received on sheffield, my husband has chosen essex for his PhD program (we currently reside in southern california) for a number of reasons i won't bore you with! so, this means that i am desparate for information on the city of colchester, areas to live in, entertainment, general cost and standard of living.....as the wife of a full time student, i will be able to work...but will i be able to find a job in the area? i'm full of questions and am hoping that someone out there knows something about the university/the area etc. thanks in advance for your assistance!! - jules
Old Jun 17th, 2003, 01:31 PM

If your husband gets one year student visa, yes, you will be able to work without restriction and your husband part-time in term time and full time during vacations.
Old Jun 18th, 2003, 07:15 AM
Original Poster

thanks alec! are you familiar with the area? do you know if there are a number of jobs available in the colchester/essex area? does anyone think it's do-able to commute via train to london for work?!? (in southern california, i commute by car around an hour to and from work as it is...) we're just wondering what an approximate rent would look for a smallish but nice two bedroom flat (or similar?!?) thanks again to any of you who can help!
Old Jun 18th, 2003, 08:23 AM

I don't know the area particularly well, so an Essex girl (or boy?) can give you more local info. BTW 'Essex Girl' is a description for a working-class girl made good in the world, who likes stylish living that goes with her new-found wealth and status but still retains her Cockney roots in terms of accents and tastes. I don't know what a US equivalent would be?
Colchester is famous for the military (several large barracks in town), a Roman town, inland port and oysters. Many commute to London, but rail travel is expensive, so unless your pay is significantly higher, it may not be worth the time and expense of commuting. For just a year, you are looking for a remporary job or a short contract. Maybe the university can offer something, or suggest suitable contacts. What are your qualifications and experience? There's always demand for office staff and it pays reasonably well, around £7-10 per hour according to experience (IT skills with MS Office usually expected). You can do supply teaching if you have qualification in state schools (around £120-150 a day but irregular), and private schools take those without. Cost and standard of living would be typical for southern England. Rent will be high. For a 3-bedroom semi, you are looking around £800-1000 per month, plus utilities and council tax (around £150 per month for both).
Old Jun 18th, 2003, 09:28 AM
Original Poster

alec,

thanks for the info! i don't know what an "essex girl" equivalent would be here?!? maybe "jersey girl" (hehe - it's a new j lo/ben & jen movie coming out soon). but i think i get the idea! actually, we will moving there for at least three years (as that's how long my husband's PhD program is...) so I would definitely be looking for something long term! I have worked in "corporate america", for the federal, local and state governments as well as for an ad agency and a number of law firms etc doing mainly publicity, media relations, and of course a ton of administrative/office work. it sounds like there's a need for administrators/assistants/secretarial skilled workers?! we currently pay $1400 US for a 2 bedroom apartment so the rent seems comparable i suppose. is colchester a small town/city? i studied for a summer at cambridge university while in college...is colchester smaller or bigger than cambridge? are there things to do there?! thanks again!
Old Jun 18th, 2003, 10:43 AM

You will find it difficult to work for national or local government as a non-British or Commonwealth citizen, except for some limited areas like teaching and nursing. The once booming economy has been struggling of late and there's now a glut of applicants for most professional-type jobs after a spate of large redundancies. This is particularly acute in IT and high-tech. Perhaps you can sign on as a temp and then look for something more permanent once you get a foothold in the job market, as many bosses look for UK experience. Temp jobs are very easy to find - just look for agency ads in any town. There may be US corporations looking for ex-pats staff.
Colchester has a population similar to Cambridge, at around 100,000, but very different in character. Colchester centre has a historical core with a ruined castle but otherwise the town looks quite modern and has little of the culture and refinement of Cambridge with its colleges. Its economy is heavily dependent on the military. As for entertainment and things to do, the town's appeal is limited for those from outside (local theatre, arts centre, cinemas) and you need to travel to London or Ipswich (the chief town of Suffolk) for more variety. Look out for what the university and its union has to offer.
Old Jun 19th, 2003, 08:12 AM
Original Poster

thanks again for your help alec. that does help me get a better feel for the area! has anyone else been to/lived in or around colchester? any alumni of the university of essex who can comment on the school/housing? hope you all have a great day! it's raining here in southern california (it feels as though i've already moved to england!! hahaha!)