COKE FREAK...how much is it in italy?

Jul 7th, 2001, 01:57 PM
pam

COKE FREAK...how much is it in italy?

No, not that KIND of coke.
The kind that "things go better with" LOL
How much is it for a can or a bottle there? I've heard some outrageous amounts (like $7 a bottle) Is this true?
Say it ain't so

Jul 7th, 2001, 02:44 PM
If you are

to post a question about it here...

Won't you pay whatever it takes when you get there?

The price IS higher here, especially compared to the bucket-size you get here at McDonalds, since they are likely to be 5-8 ounces there. But if you must, then GO to McDonalds there, you won't pay anything like $7. Maybe $2 or 3.

Jul 7th, 2001, 03:14 PM
Nick

In the supermarket, a can of coke is about L400, in a small grocery store (kind of like 7-Eleven) it is about L900, in the restaurant L4000 and in a gelateria, pasticceria or alimentari it is about L3000.

Jul 7th, 2001, 03:52 PM
Walter

I usually drink the wine, but a $7 (or more) coke would only be at an well located cafe where you are paying for the ambience, a tourist rip-off joint near an attraction or an hotel minibar. I usually buy their large size bottles which I believe is 1.5L from a sidewalk vendor or supermarket for maybe $1.50-$2.00. Even the sidewalk vendors around tourist sites I've noticed charge less than you would find around & in US events/tourist sites. HTH Regards, Walter

Jul 7th, 2001, 05:40 PM
Diane

They probably will even be in mini-fridges in your hotel rooms. By the way, mini-bars in Italy weren't nearly as costly as mini-bars in US hotels. Softdrinks are usually a cola (Coke or Pepsi) and Orange, Orangina, etc. and ran 3000-4000 lira.

Jul 8th, 2001, 08:05 AM
sandi

I found that a coke in a cafe usually cost as much as the sandwich or the pizza I was buying..around $3.00 - $4.00 (US) for a glass.

Jul 8th, 2001, 08:59 AM
e

Just returned from Italy and I, too, am a cola freak. What I found though was that they don't have TRUE coke but "new formula" coke that tastes like pepsi.That might not mean much to you winos out there but to us cola people it is very important. And the delis and the like had it for around 1.50-2.00 a can or bottle.

Jul 8th, 2001, 12:46 PM
pam

New coke? No way.
I will drink bottled water or something healthful
Maybe it's a blessing in disguise.

Jul 8th, 2001, 01:50 PM
Kavey

I recall several years ago (somewhere between 7 and 20) Coke changed their formula in the UK.

It proved an unpopular move and within months they changed it back.

We've had the classic recipe ever since, unless I am mistaken.

(Which I quite often am).

PS Coke isnt expensive if you buy it in the supermarkets.

Jul 8th, 2001, 01:59 PM
Ursula

Pam: If you sit down in a café at Piazza San Marco in Venice, at Via Veneto in Rome, Piazza Signoria in Florence, etc., you will most probably pay some $7.
The more you stay away from the top tourist spots, the cheaper it is.
Cheapest of course are the small shops where locals do buy their food and drinks. You will not be charged more because you are a tourist.

Jul 9th, 2001, 05:32 AM
leo

My son is a die hard cola lover, and found Coke readily available everywhere in Italy (3,000-5,000 Lira range). Except for one time he ordered Coke in a fairly nice restuarant in Siena and the Italian waiter sneared" We do not serve American Wine" LOL.

Jul 9th, 2001, 10:20 PM
Mary

I'm a coke freak, too. Last time I was in Italy, we stayed at Hotel Mario in Florence. My husband bought cokes from a coke machine inside the police station. It was very cheap compared to other places. On our last day a policeman told him that really it was only for the police.

Jul 9th, 2001, 10:45 PM
Gerry

Mary:
Thanks for sharing that. It gave me a laugh. And, I think it says a lot. Yes, you can get coke everywhere and the Italians drink it too.