Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Coffee Singles (bags) available? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/coffee-singles-bags-available-336093/)

Connie Apr 3rd, 2008 07:07 AM

Coffee Singles (bags) available?

None of our hotels list a coffeemaker in the room. I need my coffee first thing so I bought an immersion heater and plan to bring some coffee singles (those tea bag looking things). We are doing carry on only. If I just brought a few to get started, would I be able to find more once I get there--- Paris, Rome, Siena, Florence, CT, BO of Switzerland?

I know they aren't as good as brewed coffee but they are way better than instant coffee, IMO.

Thanks

suze Apr 3rd, 2008 07:13 AM

I don't know about teabag/singles but certainly you can find a small jar of instant coffee in the grocery stores in major cities. Look for an Italian brand of "espresso" instant, it's fairly decent.

bilboburgler Apr 3rd, 2008 07:27 AM

do you know about coffee in the countries being a tiny cup and where the word Americano comes from.

wolfmisc Apr 3rd, 2008 07:33 AM

Every bigger supermarket in the greater cities, i.e. Paris,Rome,Siena,Florence should have them. If not, buy a plastic filter and some paper filters. Put the filter with paper and ground coffee on top of your cup and pour boiling water on it. Not as good as a coffeemaker, but it will help. I tried it out many times already when in vacation.

GoAway Apr 3rd, 2008 07:39 AM

Wolfmisc's method (using a plastic filter holder and filters) is generally my preferred method of making a single cup of coffee, both at home and on the road, if I'm not using a french press or cafetiere. It's essentially the same as a Mr Coffee drip machine, except you're Mr Coffee. But, in your case, you'd need two vessels - one to heat the water and one to pour it into.

Lawchick Apr 3rd, 2008 07:39 AM

These "traditional" coffee bags are not so easy to find in Europe.

What you can use if stuck are some coffee "pods" which are for use in Espresso machines...like the Illy pod....and that will work.

GranthamMommy Apr 3rd, 2008 07:49 AM

Minimus.biz website has travel sizes of hundreds of items. They show Folger single serve on the webpage today.

I just checked and they have a number of varieties available today, including Folgers bags at 35 cents a serving.

Connie Apr 3rd, 2008 08:31 AM

Thanks for all your great suggestions. I think I'll look into buying a single serve cone and filter. The Pods idea is a good idea if I get tired of messing with that.

I love Minimus and have ordered many things from them. I was just trying not to pack so much--hoping to pick things up after I get there. I'll already be having to buy liquids since 3 oz of toiletries isn't going to last very long.

Thanks everyone

Pegontheroad Apr 3rd, 2008 08:37 AM

I've used two methods: one is the plastic cone and filter method, but as GoAway said, you need two vessels. The coffee is tastier, though.

The other is an immersion thingy and instant coffee. At home I am a coffee snob, but when I travel, I sometimes just bite the bullet and drink instant.

hetismij Apr 3rd, 2008 09:08 AM

The other thing to try instead of Illy pods, which you may find too strong, are Senseo pads. Though designed for a Senseo machine I'm sure they would work in the way you describe.
Your immersion heater is dual voltage I hope?

Connie Apr 3rd, 2008 11:42 AM

Yes, but I'm glad you asked just in case. This is my first trip, so I'm open to any suggestions.

suze Apr 3rd, 2008 12:10 PM

I wasn't sure an immersion coil would make water actually boiling hot enough for a Melita style filter to work right??

wombat7 Apr 3rd, 2008 12:14 PM

I saw an insulated single French press a few weeks ago at the swish Kitchen store on Marylebone High Street - would have been perfect for travelling (assuming you have a kettle in the room) - but it was around 40 pounds which seemed too rich to me.

goldwynn Apr 3rd, 2008 12:37 PM

Connie........you will have to also pack in your carryon the electric converters to fit the sockets of the countries you plan on visiting. Quite a few years ago I use to have that immersion heater and brought my own coffee only to find out that some of the hotels in France did not like the idea of having an electric appliance in the room because of fire safety.

Connie Apr 3rd, 2008 01:04 PM

The immersion heater is dual voltage and I have all my adaptors. I'll just have to pack it away after I use it, just like I will my clothes line!

Pegontheroad Apr 3rd, 2008 01:14 PM

I have an immersion thingy for the U.S. and another for Europe. I also have a vast collection of adaptor plugs. Well, maybe not "vast," but a couple, anyway.

The immersion coil can make the water boil, so it's definitely hot enough for a melitta cone and filters, which is what I use.

Celiaanne Apr 3rd, 2008 02:08 PM

Funny you should post this, Connie. Just a few minutes ago I put our 2-cup coffee maker in my carry-on (and coffee, filters, plug and converter) for my trip to France on Monday.

I hope I can actually take it once the real packing starts. Last year I had to take it out at the last minutes. This time I am determined nothing is going to boot it out!

I thought I was the only one who just HAS to have my coffee first thing. Good luck with your singles!

RM67 Apr 3rd, 2008 02:21 PM

The coffee bag thingies are vile.

I know this because I made some DIY after-dinner crackers last Christmas with them in, and took them to a pre-xmas dinner at my brother's house.

They were obviously just meant to be a bit of fun, not exactly gourmet, but I really cannot convey quite how awful the coffee made with them tasted. I would strongly advise you to get a jar of powdered instant instead if you're that desparate. That's how bad they are.

sshephard Apr 3rd, 2008 02:31 PM

I would look for a French press/travel mug combo. I think I am going to get one for my next trip to Europe.

Check out www.REI.com or

http://www.planetarydesign.us/index.php

Barb Apr 3rd, 2008 03:04 PM

I just bought a small travel french press at Barnes & Noble. I will just pack enough ground coffee (in a baggie inside the press) It is plastic and very lightweight. I think the brand is Bodum.