Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Coffee crazy (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/coffee-crazy-508855/)

catton6 Mar 3rd, 2005 06:34 AM

Coffee crazy

I am traveling overseas for the 1st time ever (a bit nervous about it all)
1) Are there coffee makers in rooms like in most US hotels or should I bring a 1 cup brewer for early a.m. fix? ...must have cream!
2) Flying into Amsterdam then train to Belgium & into London. Will be gone for 2 weeks. Trying to pack light..what about washing laundry?
I've been reading lots of postings & getting a good travel education. Thanks Fodor's for this comm site!

Travelnut Mar 3rd, 2005 06:47 AM

Most hotels do not have coffee makers. It might be a bit more common in London to have a 'hot pot' to heat water, but I've never seen a typical U.S. coffee maker (brewing machine). The alternative to lugging a brewer and finding creamer in every town is to ask the hotel if they can bring some coffee to your room in the mornings.

Most cities do have self-laundering places...if not, you can wash one or two items and drip-dry in the bathroom...or, you can ask the hotel for laundry service while you're out sightseeing.

Travelnut Mar 3rd, 2005 06:49 AM

I might add that the coffee is the first thing I hit in the mornings at home, but somehow, I've managed to do fine while traveling by putting on some clothes and tramping down to the breakfast room for the first cup. The next trip, though, I am going to try having coffee brought to the room to enjoy while I'm dressing and waking up.

ista Mar 3rd, 2005 06:54 AM

Unless you are one of those who won't even think about getting ready in the morning until they have a cup of coffee in them, why not get your coffee outside. I love the coffee in Europe, and it is fun to sit at a table and watch the world go by:). Even a one cup brewer just seems like something extra a person doesn't want to drag around. Have fun and enjoy your trip.

Patrick Mar 3rd, 2005 07:05 AM

You have a serious problem. You have been "reading lots of postings and getting a good travel education" here, but you only bothered to register for this one post about coffee? This is the only question you have about European travel?

Either you are a troll -- and there seem to be a whole lot of single new posts this morning by brand new posters all with these strange single posts that seem to beg for people to rant at them, or your caffeine addiction is even worse than mine, if coffee is the only question you have about traveling in Europe!

By the way, "trying to pack light" and taking a coffee maker, do NOT go together.

You are never far from coffee anywhere in Europe. I say throw on some clothes and go get your first cup somewhere, then come back to get ready for the day -- so much better than making your own in your room!

artstuff Mar 3rd, 2005 08:51 AM

If you do go out looking for coffee in Amsterdam, please be aware that "coffeeshops" specialize in marijuana and hashish, although you can get a good cup of coffee at most of them. Peace. :)>-

Robyn

Christina Mar 3rd, 2005 09:16 AM

I am one of those who will not go out without coffee and doesn't care to have breakfast in my hotel nor to pay for it, as I don't eat breakfast. I don't think I've ever had a room with a coffee maker, so bring your own (I assume you have a dual voltage one?). I don't take cream in my coffee, so you are out of luck unless you use those fake creamer things.

I just take one of those boiling coils (dual voltage, with adapter plug) so I can make lots of things in my room -- bouillon, tea, coffee, etc. Sure, it's not as good as brewed, but I have an instant brand I like and it does the trick of waking me up. I have actually bought some instant espresso in grocery stores in Europe that was more like strong coffee than real espresso, and not too bad.

I think one of those coils is packing a lot lighter than an entire pot. Even with it, I think you could boil the water and pour it over individual coffee filters as I've seen those (and that is what most of those pots do anyway, pour water through coffee). You can get a 220V, European plug one at AAA, so you don't even need an adapter.

SuzieC Mar 3rd, 2005 09:31 AM

Maxwell House makes "coffee tea bags"... Coffee Mate comes in wee packets.. those with a small boiling coil... never leave home without them.
And a corkscrew...and can-opener.

RufusTFirefly Mar 3rd, 2005 09:34 AM

Now, now, Patrick. Maybe catton has gleaned so much useful information from all of us "experts" here at Fodorrs that there just weren't any other questions to ask.

Jim_Tardio Mar 3rd, 2005 10:25 AM

I always travel with my little heating coil and plug adapters. I usually purchase the local teas & coffees for in-room brewing.

It's always the first thing I pack...come to think about it, it never gets unpacked and just lives in my suitcase.

ira Mar 3rd, 2005 10:34 AM

If you are going to use a heating coil, I suggest you make sure it is a dual voltage (110-220) or buy one in Europe.

((I))

Christina Mar 3rd, 2005 11:51 AM

oh, and further tips on packing light with one of those coils -- pack a lightweight plastic coffee mug, large enough to boil water in (mine is about 10 oz). This will be much lighter weight than any glass or stoneware mug, and unbreakable. The kind I mean is dishwasher/microwave safe (so you can boil in it) and seems like a material that used to be called Melamine or something many years ago. YOu can find these in some discount or grocery store, Kmart or Target, places like that. Just don't use a flimsy plastic cup or mug that can melt.

LoveItaly Mar 3rd, 2005 01:02 PM

It is interesting how we are all so different. I like to have coffee delivered to my room, relax and drink it while watching CNN. Then I am ready to get prepared for the day.

got1tiel Mar 3rd, 2005 01:37 PM

I agree with Patrick on the wierd notion of packing a coffee machine.

imagine the hotel owner will start to review his pricing when he finds out from the cleaning lady 'that an american is opening up a starbucks in one of his rooms'

platzman Mar 3rd, 2005 04:19 PM

Hello, my name is platzman and I'm addicted to espresso.
There, I admit it.
But even I can do without lugging my espresso machine and milk frother to Europe.
Unlike America, you have to look really hard and go out of your way to find a bad cup of coffee in Europe.
Especially in Italy, if you buy an inferior cup of coffee, that business will be belly up by the end of the day!
I can wait until the hotel's breakfast buffet, OR I can walk to the nearest streetcorner coffee shop to get a fix.

jody Mar 3rd, 2005 04:27 PM

I throw on whatever comes to hand in the dark of our room and am out the door before daylight heading for the nearest bar,cafe , whatever that is open and serving! After a few cups of wonderful nectar I head back to the hotel to wake my sleeping husband and dress. No way am I going to have inferior instant stuff when the real thing is just outside my door somewhere!

shutterbug Mar 3rd, 2005 04:29 PM

I usually don't post unless I can offer something new or different to the previous listings, but I can't let this go.

Pack as if you plan to have to carry the bag half a mile. With that in mind, packing light takes on a new meaning, and more essentials become expendable.

Most European Best Westerns and a few other chains offer coffee service in the room. Check the hotel's website. If they don't, coffee is included with breakfast.

In London, Starbuck's and Cosi's are almost as plentiful as their American cousins. In France and Italy, we never had to wander far for coffee.

Leave the coffee-maker at home and bring detergent for sink-washing and a few extra rolls of film. Besides, unless you have a refrigerator, your cream will spoil.

Have a great trip.

Danna Mar 3rd, 2005 05:50 PM

We bring a funnel and small coffee filters. Then buy coffee when we arrive and use the heater doodah that is usually in the room. I really detest Nescafe. I found this tip here on Fodor's and it works for me!

fitzwillie Mar 3rd, 2005 05:55 PM

Catton6. I apologize for Patrick, our resident troll!!

LoveItaly--why go to Europe to watch CNN? Yuk!!

Catton6. Caffene addiction can be serious, but does not explan some of the caziness that spirts from the minds of these folks!

SuzieC Mar 4th, 2005 07:43 AM

Loveitaly, I DO TOO! Love to have it delivered to the room AND watch CNN. Only really shallow people don't keep up with the world events, don't you think?

I just keep the "coffee set up handy "in case"... even here in the USofA I was a guest at a friend's beach house...they had NO COFFEE...didn't drink it. I wanted at least one cup to get the old body moving before I went to the store to get some.