Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Cochem or Beilstein??? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/cochem-or-beilstein-720601/)

anewland Jul 13th, 2007 01:11 PM

Cochem or Beilstein???

Need advice between the two. I read that both or touristy. I will be there for 3 days Aug 7-9. Which would be the best town to base from? We will have a car and love to ride bikes. Thank you all!

crckwc Jul 13th, 2007 08:09 PM

We just returned from that area and enjoyed it very much. Beilstein was our favorite place on the Mosel. Although we didn't stay there, we went to Beilstein twice for sightseeing and again for dinner. Beilstein is more charming and quieter than Cochem IMO, but I have no information on hotels there. If you love to ride bikes, the Mosel is the place for you!

bettyk Jul 13th, 2007 08:45 PM

In May 2005, we stayed at the Haus Lipmann Hotel in Beilstein for 3 nights and really enjoyed the town and the hotel. It IS a very small town but we walked up to the Burg Metternich ruin and the Karmelitenkirche, both very interesting with lovely views over the Mosel. We had a car also and visited Cochem and Burg Eltz. Cochem is much larger and busier than Beilstein. However, we preferred having a nice quiet place to return to in the evening after our daytripping.

rlgann Jul 13th, 2007 10:32 PM

I would definately pick Beilstein over Cochem. It is a much quainter, quieter town. But my favorite place along the Mosel is the twin town(s) of Bernkastel-Kues. This is after three trips to the Mosel staying at Cochem, Beilstein and then Bernkastel. Do not miss Trier with probably the best marketplace in Europe.

valtor Jul 14th, 2007 12:51 AM

it seems that I am the only one that loves Cochem more than Beilstein. We stayed for 5 nights in Cochem, and made day trips. For us, Bilestein is a very picturesque village, good for max. 4 hours visit, including a lunch in restaurant.

I would like to return to visit and stay again in Cochem, but not to visit again Beilstein.

hausfrau Jul 14th, 2007 02:38 AM

I think the question is where do you want to spend your evenings, a larger, lively town like Cochem, or a charming, picturesque village like Beilstein? It is up to personal preference. Both are good bases for exploring the Mosel.

Another vote for Haus Lipmann in Beilstein (they have a big Fodorite fan club).

Bernkastel-Kues is also lovely, as rlgann said, but I have not stayed there. You would want to be on the east side of the river, where the beautiful old town square is located.

odyssey4 Jul 14th, 2007 04:08 AM

Anewland, we just returned from this area. I agree with the previous posters about the differences between the two towns. Beilstein is very small and quaint- maybe two small souvenir shops at the most and a few restaurants. But it is so quaint. You can certainly day trip from here. I think the time to Cochem was about 20 minutes.

Another vote for the Hotel Haus Lipmann. Fantastic place to stay. We were there at the end of June. This is a beautiful area. I would not necessarily associate Beilstein with touristy. There were small hotels and pensions there, but not super touristy.