Cobh to West County Cork via car?

Old Apr 2nd, 2012, 07:41 PM
Original Poster

Cobh to West County Cork via car?

I would like to take my historian granddaughter to Cobh next year and as I look at various maps I cannot tell whether we can get to Passage West area via car ferry or even a bridge or whether we will have to head north and go through Cork City (sigh). As long as I don't have to go through Mallow.....

Also, to get to Cobh from the east must we come in from the north across Foaty Island? That looks to be the only ingress/egress to Great Island.
Old Apr 2nd, 2012, 07:49 PM
Original Poster

Well, I plugged some route into aaroadwatch.ie and it appears that Cobh is not easily accessible but I think worth the hassle to get to and from.

I also want to visit the famine ship at New Ross.
Old Apr 2nd, 2012, 07:50 PM
Original Poster

routes
Old Apr 2nd, 2012, 10:19 PM

You can take the car ferry to Passage West.
Just don't expect a huge ferry port. The small waiting zone for cars looks more like an oversized bus stop or random rest area.
On the other side, just follow signs to Cork which will take you to the Southern Ring Road, a motorway that by-passes Cork city. Keep following signs to "The West" and to N71.
Take exit to N71 after appr 10kms and you're on your way to West Cork.

If you want to see Kinsale you can either take opposite direction from Passage West ferry port or take same route as above to South Ring, but keep following signs to the airport. From the airport keep following signs for Kinsale. It's a minor detour but easier to find without GPS.

Will come back with Cobh-New Ross bit later.
Old Apr 3rd, 2012, 01:24 AM

The direct route is plain and simple.
Follow signs from Cobh to Cork (but not via the ferry) until you hit N25. Follow N25 to New Ross. You pay a few euros for the tolled by-pass (around €2 each way) of Waterford city.

If you look for scenic byways, I can recommend the R675 from Dungarvan along the Copper Coast to Waterford.
There are artefacts and buildings from the copper mining area along the route. And the coastline is indeed spectacular.. more like Portugal's Algarve with yellowish cliffs, rock formations and sandy beaches.
http://www.discoverireland.ie/Activi...ng-route/81003

Depending on your time budget for the day, the R700 from New Ross up to Thomastown is also very scenic. Especially the village of Inistioge half way between both towns.
Around Thomastown you'll have Jerpoint Abbey to visit. And the Mosse pottery. And go back the faster way via Knocktopher and the M9 motorway to Waterford and N25 back to Cobh.
But I think this will probably stretch the limit of how many kms you wish to drive in a single day.

You'll find other regional auto routes via
http://www.discoverireland.ie/places-to-go/
when you choose one of the counties/ regions from the left hand navigation.
Old Apr 3rd, 2012, 04:07 AM

Hi jaja-
I can't help you with this area of Ireland,but it so nice to see you are returning with another grandchild.Enjoy and have fun!

Susan
( we are leaving 7 weeks from today!)
Old Apr 3rd, 2012, 11:19 AM
Original Poster

Thanks a million, Cowboy. Your guidance is invaluable. The itinerary is still moiling around in my head but help like yours will help me brain it all out and get it on "paper" for critique from Fodorites.

Susan, I am actually taking two granddaughters but the elder is the history major so I'm trying to get her as much history as I can cram into 8 days! Must get with the younger and see what she wants to do. I know they wanted to go to NI but that's not on the radar this trip.

This will leave two more granddaughters and then I will probably be too old and too broke to go back! But let's hope not.

Enjoy your trip and I eagerly await a full report!
Old Apr 3rd, 2012, 11:28 AM
Original Poster

Cowboy, as it stands now we will be coming from Dublin via Powerscourt and Glendalough to New Ross, taking about two days to make this part of the trip. Then on to Cobh and westward.

So I'm thinking early start at Glendalough to Thomastown to Inistioge to New Ross and then the N25 on to Cobh. That might be too full a day but we could overnight in Cobh and then to the west the next morning. Must start getting this on paper.
Old Apr 3rd, 2012, 01:49 PM

From the N25 take the R624 road to Cobh, passing the Fota Island Resort and Fota Wildlife Park. Cobh is just 10 minutes from the N25. For accommodation in Cobh have a look at http://visitcobh.com/index.php/accommodation/.
The Ferry to Passage West takes just a few minutes and runs continuously from early morning to late evening.
There will be a lot of history to cram in Cobh in just a day with the story of emigration, the Titanic and Lusitania and Spike Island but it will be fun in beautiful and friendly surroundings.
Old Apr 3rd, 2012, 04:13 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, Greatisland! I am starting to get excited about putting together an itinerary and looking for accommodation even though it's over a year away.
Old Apr 4th, 2012, 03:08 AM

jaja, you're welcome. I am sure you will have a lot of fun in this beautiful part or Ireland.

As you will be coming from Dublin/ Glendalough, you can also think about incorporating Kilkenny and Dunmore Cave into your itinerary. Since you mentioned you granddaughter's interest in history, this would be a bit of Viking era:
http://www.heritageireland.ie/en/sou...t/dunmorecave/
Beware: Lots of sometimes slippery steps lead down to the cave, so if climbing steps is any issue for you, don't!

If you will have some time in Dublin, the National Museum would be perfect to satisfy your granddaughter's interest in history while also all other in your party would have a good time. It's not a huge building with thosands of rooms and exhibits, but also suitable for those who get a bit bored in museums.
Old Apr 4th, 2012, 11:32 AM
Original Poster

Again, Cowboy, thanks for good ideas.

I have been to the National Museum twice and agree that it's wonderful. It is definitely on the short list.

Erin is graduating in May with a degree in history and going right into her master's program in library science with a view to being an archivist so I am afraid we will never get her out of the Long Room at Trinity!

Thinking about doing the B&B at Trinity for the two nights in Dublin. Or one night in Dublin and late in the day take public transport to Dun Laoghaire for the night and renting a car the next morning for the trip south. Still pondering.
Old Apr 4th, 2012, 11:37 AM

Just to warn you that parking in Cobh can be an absolute nightmare. We ended up not visiting the town after failing to find anywhere to park.
Old Apr 4th, 2012, 12:27 PM
Original Poster

Oooh, thanks for the heads-up, hetismij2! Perhaps it depends on time of day and time of year? I hope! Or if we decide to overnight there we could park at the B&B and walk. Or something.
Old Apr 4th, 2012, 06:08 PM

We're heading out for something similar on the 16th -- less than two weeks!!!! We're flying into DUB, spending the first night in Bray and the next, in Wexford. From there, we'll move on to Midelton for four nights -- and a GENUINE Irish Wedding!

Also, LAST year, right before our GTG in Killarney, we spent five days in the 'Sunny SouthEast', so I have (and WILL have) a number of travel suggestions for the area.

My FINISHED (No Snickering -- I actually DID actually finish it -- FINALLY!) Trip Report from last June:
http://ireland.activeboard.com/t4420...ireland-again/

You mention the Dunbrody Famine Ship in New Ross, but another option might be the Jennie Johnson, which is moored at the Dublin Docklands --
http://www.jeaniejohnston.ie/

From Wexford Town (which has LOTS of History-related sites nearby), enroute to Hook Head (oldest Continuously Used Lighthouse in the world)is Tintern Abbey, a couple of interesting castles AND the beach where Strongbow landed his Norman English invaders. Heading toward New Ross from Hook Head, is Duncannon -- a 'Star Fort' that rivals Kinsale's, Dunbrody Abbey and castle.

AND -- If you opted for the Jennie Johnson INSTEAD of the Dunbrody and to give up on shaking the hand of the Brass JFK in New Ross, you can take the Passage EAST ferry over to Waterford as well as the Passage West one, from Cobh...

Ferry info for Cobh Ferry -- http://www.passagewestmonkstown.ie/c...iver-ferry.asp

No matter what you ultimately decide, I'm SURE it will be a GREAT trip.

Bob
Old Apr 4th, 2012, 07:04 PM
Original Poster

Aw, gee, between Cowboy and Bob this trip is looking like it will take a month or better to see everything I want to show the girls! 8 days on the ground are going to be full.

Bob, you gave me the idea for the New Ross ship but I'm liking the Jeannie Johnston also. Many of the things I'm looking at are a direct result of your trip report from '11.

My best to your lovely and long-suffering wife and enjoy the trip....and I will require a detailed report, and pictures. How's the hand holding up?
Old Apr 5th, 2012, 01:34 PM

The hand is about the way it was when we saw each other in Killarney ... Dr. says it's as good as it's likely to get -- even if I were to opt for a second surgery.

I'm eactly 6 months out from a VERY significant Birthday and am hoping to spend it in the NW. There's a O'Duhbda Clan Gathering in Sligo (Inishcrone)that's only held every three or four years. Can't think of a better place to wake up, retired!

In the vicinity of Wexford Town is Vinegar Hill and the 1798 Rebellion Museum, Irish National Heritage Park, JFK Arboretum, Johnstown Castle and Agricultural Museum, Enniscorthy Castle, Ferns Castle and the ruins of Selskar Abbey, in Wexford Town:

It was founded about the year 1190, by the Roches, lords of Fermoy, though it was not an original foundation, but like most of the ecclesiastical buildings in this county, a re-erection on the site of an old church dedicated to the apostles in question. The first treaty ever signed in Ireland with the English was on this spot, in the year 1169, when the town of Wexford surrendered to Dermod M'Murrough and his allies.

After Henry II murdered his friend Thomas Becket, he did penance at Selskar Abbey.

This church, with six others, were demolished by order of Oliver Cromwell, when in possession of the town in 1649.

How's THAT for some 'Compact' History????

MORE options: http://www.visitwexford.ie/index.php...es-and-museums

Bob
Old Apr 6th, 2012, 04:35 PM
Original Poster

Bob, I'm warning ye....one more good idea and you will have to help fund this extended visit!!

Ah, the northwest. I'm jonesing for a week or so in Co. Donegal.

Every stone by the side of the road in Ireland has a history, and a song written about it. Gotta keep going back.....
Old Apr 8th, 2012, 12:55 PM

Fair Enough ---

My lips -- and my wallet -- are sealed!

Bob
Old Apr 8th, 2012, 06:42 PM
Original Poster

Just kidding, Bob, your job is to throw the ideas at me and mine to winnow them into something resembling possibility.

Keep 'em coming! No charge!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

FODOR'S VIDEO