Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Coatia or Corsica for honeymoon late June/early july?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 1st, 2014, 10:43 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi! My fiancee and I are getting married in Colorado in June and we were initially thinking of going to Croatia to explore and have beach time, and possibly go to Slovenia….after some research and conversations with friends and other travelers, we got swayed to check out Corsica. We have some time to plan but find ourselves wavering between Corsica and Croatia on an almost daily basis!

We could fly from Denver to Zagreb, explore the city and Pulitces National Park, then fly to Split and take a sailboat around the islands on the coast, end in Dobrovnik and explore and fly home from there.

Or we could fly from Denver to Bastia, explore the north and wine country, head to Porto by car and see Les Calanques and then take train or drive to Ajaccio, Les Sertainas to Bonafaccio and then head home from Ajaccio.

Does anyone have any ideas, suggestions, comments about which itinerary or country may be more suited to our desire to have a romantic honeymoon filled with relaxation, culture, sightseeing, beach….

Anything helps!
Old Feb 1st, 2014, 11:31 PM

Can I ask you how long you have for your honeymoon? Whilst Corsica isn that big it can take a while to get to some places due to the switchback nature of the roads
That said I Love Corsica and have been a few times to the north region and can whole heartily recommend.
I could recommend some places to eat/ visit in the Balange region if you do end up going there.
Old Feb 2nd, 2014, 01:53 PM

Well both ideas have much to reccommend them and I can't see any way anyone can suggest one over the other except by personal bias. Since what someone ELSE prefers is not necessarily what YOU would prefer, what can you really expect other than someone trying to 'sway you' one way or the other?

I would say that either choice needs at least 2 weeks. I could easily spend 2 weeks just sailing around the Croatian coast and islands (and have done). I could also (and have done) spend the time sailing the west coast of Corsica.

But which to pick? That's up to you. Like asking do you want a peach or a plum.
Old Feb 4th, 2014, 12:26 PM

Well, I would strongly encourage you to rent a car for either location. The time not lost on buses and the freedom given, makes it well worth it and the driving is easy with good roads.
In the southern third of Corsica there is a lovely town called Zonza with a good value hotel, 'Le Tourisme' with pool. It is near Breva Pass.
One advantage of Corsica is that Sardinia is a short ferry ride away.
If you go, Plitvice National Park is well worth the visit but begin your day very early as the tour buses descend after 0900. The park hotels are expensive, crowded, but there are many lovely accomodations adjacent to the park. Of course the real crowd masses are to be found in Dubrovnik from the large, to very large cruise ships..
A very worthwhile side trip from Dubrovnik is Mostar in Bosnia, my favorite.
A possible airline route could be Denver to LHR and then using a budget airline like Easy Jet to travel to Corsica, Sardinia, Split, Slovenia, Dubrovnik etc.
All the Balkan countries are close together and all can be reached in a 6-8 hour drive from each other including Serbia, Montenegro etc.
Not to complicate your trip planning but if I had another honey moon I would include Lake Bled and the Soca Valley of Slovenia. My advance congratulations!!
Old Mar 6th, 2014, 12:12 PM

yes!
Old Mar 9th, 2014, 03:11 PM

Hi, Having done both of your ideas, I would opt for Croatia. We started with a few days in Dubrovnik. then did a week long sail among the islands. After that, we drove from Dubrovnik to Trojir and up to Pltivic, then back to Dubrovnik. It is beautiful countryside. The people are friendly, food is good. We drove across Corsica, stopping in different towns. Driving is difficult in the mountains. While it is pretty, I feel Croatia is more varied.