Coastal Town After Tuscany

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 11th, 2013, 04:00 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are planning our 2nd trip to Italy for early June next year. Typically and preferably we travel in May but because of life events, June it needs to be. We will have 14 nights. Initially I was planning to visiting Tuscany - hill towns and walled cities as we've already visited Florence on a previous trip- then Cinque Terre (or visa versa depending on what makes most sense. Then, I started to change my mind in favor of Sorrento over CT since it will be June.

My current plan would be to base in the Siena area for approx 4 nights then the Montepulciano area for approx 3 nights, leaving 7 nights for our last destination and getting back to an aiport.

Now however, I am wondering if we should choose another coastal town in say Grosseto, Livorno, Pisa or Lucca.

My husband and I love the water so a vacation is hardly complete if we don't have a chance to enjoy a drink while listening to the waves! We don't necessarily need or want to get in the water, but if it's hot that would be a nice option. We can use a car if needed or drop it off if that is best.

I would prefer an area with a nice water view - we don't need a "beach" - but I prefer a "town" we can stroll, eat, etc in the evenings. I am concerned that the CT area really won't offer that. My concern with Sorrento/AC is that it appears to be complex to get there after Tuscany as it would require a full day of travel. Also access to other historic cities or places of interest would be icing on the cake!

Is there a coastal town in closer proximity to our location that might meet our needs? We haven't made plane reservations and can do open jaw if that makes most sense.

Lastly, I am trying to squeeze Orvieto into the mix but haven't found a way to do that yet either, but I can save it for another trip if needed.
Old Sep 11th, 2013, 04:29 AM

Santa Margherita Ligure springs to mind. Accessible by rail and there is a handy ferry service that gets you to Portofino, the abbey at San Fruttuoso and Camogli for day trips.
There are a number of walks around the Portofino peninsula if you like hiking.
Old Sep 11th, 2013, 04:53 AM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Grosseto, Pisa and Lucca aren't on the coast. Orbetello and Piombino are accessible by train.

What are your arrival/departure cities?
Old Sep 11th, 2013, 05:33 AM

I assume you will have car in Tuscany. I see 4 good options for you depending on your departure point:

Lerici
Camogli
Porto Santo Stefano
Portovenere

Click on my name above and find my trip report for Liguria and Tuscany that may help. Given a week, I see no reason for not having 2 destinations. Tell us more.
Old Sep 11th, 2013, 06:11 AM

I am like you about the sea on vacation and always include a coastal spot. I think the above advice is perfect--stick to Liguria but not necessarily CT (which I found horribly overcrowded when I visited in late May a few years ago).
If you are set on Tuscany this time, then I'd save Sorrento for a future trip when you can do it proper (there is SO much to see and do in the vicinity that having close to a full week --without having to traverse the country--is preferable).
Old Sep 11th, 2013, 06:27 AM

You could certainly do what you had in mind:

4 nights in Siena
3 nights in Montepulciano
7 nights in Sorrento

Or you could spend the last week around Cinque Terre (Lerici is a good base for exploring the region). Both areas are wonderful.

I work for a tour company that offers a tour to Tuscany, Umbria & Cinque Terre. Reading through the itinerary for this tour might give you some ideas about things to do in these areas:
http://www.ipswichtours.com/small-gr...-tuscany-tours

If you choose to drive down to Sorrento (gorgeous!) it should only take about 4.5 hours from Montepulciano. You could stop in Orvieto on your way to split up the journey and get in that visit.

Once in Sorrento you can explore the Amalfi Coast and take an excursion to Capri. Here's what we do for ideas:
http://www.ipswichtours.com/small-gr...fi-coast-tours

In any case, I hope you have a wonderful trip!

Buon viaggio!

Jean Moss
www.ipswichtours.com
Old Sep 16th, 2013, 03:57 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all of the replies and sorry so long getting back with you!

kybourbon: I know those areas aren't particularly on the coast but each of those regions has coastal towns/beaches; also we are totally flexible on airports. I've been comparing mostly Florence, Pisa and Rome. We will be flying out of DFW and don't mind open jaw.

Bob: Yes, we will have a car for the parts of the trip where needed/makes sense. Thank you for the suggestions on some of those other areas. Porto Stefano is particularly intriguiging with its proximity to Pitigliano, Saturnia, etc.

And thanks to the rest of you for pointing out that Sorrento is not out of the question for our 2 week trip!

I will research some of the towns mentioned, look at maps and mull a little more over what makes most sense for our stay. The only "certain" part of my plan is southern Tuscany so now I just need to figure what other area pairs best with this destination. I will be back with more questions I am sure!