Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Coast between Monemvasia and Nafplio (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/coast-between-monemvasia-and-nafplio-560689/)

Jojonana Sep 25th, 2005 11:18 AM

Coast between Monemvasia and Nafplio

Hello! During our honeymoon trip this coming October, we will see many places (Poros, Demitsana, Mani, etc.) After our 2 days in Monemvasia, we will be going towards Nafplio.

We have 2 days before returning to Poros. Should we stay two days in Nafplio or stay one night in a village on the coast? If so, where is it nice in October? Paralia Tyrou?
Thanks to all!

Grandma Sep 25th, 2005 02:04 PM

How I envy your time in Monemvasia! We stayed one night in Methoni.. which has interesting ruins and... a few years ago.. a restaurant where we had the best food in our trip thru Greece. We stayed in a very modest hotel.. but there is a major upscale chain (forget the name) that has a place near Methoni. I'm not looking at a map, so don't know how this fits into your schedule.

stanbr Sep 28th, 2005 06:07 PM

I drove this route this year and I don't remember seeing much of the coast on the drive between Monemvasia and Nafplio. We certainly enjoyed two nights in Nafplio. You will need at least two nights to visit the 3 fortresses and get to know the town.
Try Ilion studios. Great view of the ocean and beautifully decorated rooms. In May we got a suite for 50 Euro a night without reservations.

Carolina Sep 29th, 2005 09:26 PM

Another vote for 2 nights in Nafplio. It is a lovely town. Have a wonderful trip.
Carolina

Jojonana Oct 1st, 2005 06:10 AM

Stanbr, can you give me more info on Ileon studios? I can't find them in my Greece Guides.
Thanks! :)

dsmith23 Oct 1st, 2005 04:42 PM

Jojonana,
We just returned from two GREAT weeks driving around Greece. We spent one night in Monemvasia and two nights in Nafplio and would highly recommend both places. In Nafplio we stayed at the Hotel Grande Bretagne (not affiliated with the one in Athens). The hotel was very nice with great views of the harbor.
Dave

stanbr Oct 6th, 2005 07:31 PM

Jojonana, sorry for not replying sooner. My daughter is in her last year at Collage and I can't get much time on the computer.
Hotel Ilion in Nafplio has a web site at www.Ilionhotel.gr. The pictures are primarily of the main hotel which is decorated a little outlandishly unless you like naked nymphs. We stayed in the studios which are about 50 meters from the main building. They have similar decorating but also have kitchens and balconies. I believe we were in suite 14 which had two balconies one facing the sea and the other facing one of the fortresses.

I am not sure what they might cost if you book in advance but in late May the studio was 50 Euro on a walk up basis and they took Visa.

Nafplion and Ilion were really a delight.

Digbydog Oct 9th, 2005 04:23 AM

I vote for Nafplion too--a lovely town with a beautiful promenade along the sea. Also, if you are interested in ancient Greece, you are within a short drive of Epidaurus and Mycenae.

RobynFrance Oct 9th, 2005 10:58 AM

We loved Nafplion--would recommend 2 nights there--it was fab.

rex Oct 22nd, 2005 06:23 PM

See http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34695909

Best wishes,

Rex

dina4 Oct 29th, 2005 07:54 PM

We stayed 2 nights in Nafplion at the Ilion Suites as well. We LOVED it! Our little apt. had a huge balcony with an amazing view. The hotel employees were lovely. We would stay nowhere else when we visit again. The town is so charming/quaint with lots of great tavernas, shops.

We went to Epidauros on our drive back to Athens. The drive was long, but Epidauros was really interesting--you can drop a coin in the center of the stage or say something, and people in the highest row will hear you perfectly.

We were there in June and enjoyed a nice day at Tolo Beach. About a 15 min. drive.
Just realized your post was sept. My info may be too late. oh well.