Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Co. Wicklow from Dublin - before confirming reservations, is this a good plan?

Old Jul 10th, 2007, 12:58 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Me again, summary: living in Dublin and yet another weekend trip

This time the plan is to rent a car in Dublin and drive down to Co. Wicklow either on a Fri afternoon or Fri night, hopefully avoiding traffic. (Speaking of, am I correct in hearing that there were major roadwork delays but now they're all clear down there? or am I thinking of someplace else? Making sure.)

It's looking like we'll stay at Wicklow Way Lodge (near Roundwood). We'd spend the night there on a Friday, drive around exploring all day Saturday and return to Dublin that night, stopping at Powerscourt on the way home.

OR

I could stay 2 nights in Wicklow - though I'd prefer not to - but I'm flexible depending on opinions re: that.

On my list to do is: Avondale, Glendalough, Russborough House, Mount Usher Gardens. Is that feasible for an entire day in the area?

Any must-dos/must-sees that I'm overlooking? (keep in mind I'll have my 8-month old son so hikes over 30 minutes, etc. aren't practical)

Comments appreciated. Thanks!

Old Jul 10th, 2007, 01:24 PM

I suspect that the traffic improvement that you have heard about is not relevant: they have eventually bypassed Gorey, further to the south.

Yes, you can hit all your targets in one day, but it would be slightly awkward devising a good route: Russborough (worth visiting) is across the mountains from everything else, and you would have to cross back to return via Powerscourt when there is a more direct route from Blessington back to Dublin. If you don't want to give it an extra day, I suggest that you save Russborough for another time.

Other bits to consider:
- From Roundwood you can make a short local excursion to Lough Dan. Ignore the sign that says you have to stop and park; the road goes right down to the lake, and you will be tolerated because of having a young child in the car.
- Do not miss the drive between Rathdrum (where Avondale is) and Laragh, near Glendalough.
- From Laragh, follow signposting to Sallygap, and see Glenmacnass, a spectacular cascade that should be in full spate after all our recent rain. At Sallygap you can turn right and work yor way towards Enniskerry.

If you decide to give Wicklow another day, there is a lot more to see.
Old Jul 10th, 2007, 01:49 PM
Original Poster

I don't have much time to write but... I just found out Knockrue House has an opening (I'm lucking out it seems - I'm finding most places are booked high season on weekends) and their website lists the location near Blessington:

http://www.glendalough.connect.ie/kn...irections.html

Perhaps I should reconsider 2 nights: perhaps Fri night Wicklow Way Lodge near Roundwood then on Sat night we could stay at Knockrue, with a leisurely drive back on Sunday fitting in Rossborough and Powerscourt.

Better?
Old Jul 10th, 2007, 02:14 PM

Knockrue looks nice, and the price seems good.

Right. Now you can cross the mountains twice. I suggest once over the Wicklow Gap, going towards Blessington (it's more scenic that direction) and once via the Sally Gap on the way back towards Powerscourt. The road from Blessington over the Sally Gap is wonderful -- mountain and rock and sheep and bog and you will have to stop at Lough Tay.

Given how much you crammed into your Carlingford trip, you might also find time to drive into and out of Glenmalure, south of Laragh on the Military Road, and perhaps also down the Avoca Valley from Rathdrum to Arklow.

Get a good map. Working all those bits into a workable itinerary will keep you busy.
Old Jul 11th, 2007, 02:28 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the info. Yesterday I stumbled upon the Northern Ireland tourist office in Dublin, and got a great map for our Antrim coast trip. I'm sure the main tourist office in Dublin can provide me with something for Co. Wicklow, good point.

I've decided on 2 nights so that's the plan. Nothing to lose!