Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   CNN international vs. CNN US (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/cnn-international-vs-cnn-us-457120/)

BTilke Jul 7th, 2004 11:45 PM

CNN international vs. CNN US

For American Fodorites who travel abroad, how do you think CNN International stacks up against CNN US? I have been told that CNN US has gone a little too far towards the "infotainment" style with tabloidy features and less hard news. In the U.S., do you get the same international shows (Europe Tonight, Asia Now, Asia Business News, etc.)?
Also, since I'm watching CNN's morning show at the moment, I have to say that CNN International's Richard Quest used to strike me as grating beyond belief but now...I've actually gotten used to the guy. And I am addicted to watching the weekly international edition of Comedy Central's Daily Show, shown week-ends on CNN at the ungodly hour of 1:30 am CET.
What (English language) news show do you watch while traveling in Europe? CNN? BBC World? Fox News? CNBC (NBC Nightly News on at 12:30 am CET)? Do you enjoy seeing an international perspective of U.S. events?
No underlying motive for the questions, just curious.

SiobhanP Jul 7th, 2004 11:55 PM

In Ireland we used to have CNN but I liost in in the Cable TV re-shuffle. I get Sky news on Cable and I am not sure but I think I got Sky news in Morocco a few years back. Forget Fox etc you won't get this it's American. There is CNBC in some places. I think CNN is different and more news oriented from wht I remember. I would not expe t to see comedy on CNN over here if I did have it.

SiobhanP Jul 7th, 2004 11:56 PM

Sorry I did not see the full post :-) I think we are more newsy over here and have more international news

BTilke Jul 8th, 2004 12:07 AM

Fox News is available on satellite (Sky) and is shown in some hotels. When I stayed at the (ANA) Grand Hotel in Vienna, no CNN or BBC World, just Fox News.

Riffic Jul 8th, 2004 12:33 AM

I much prefer the CNN-US version, but overall prefer Fox.

When I lived in the US (most of my life until about 3 years ago), I often watched CNN because I thought it offered decent, rather in-depth news. At least back then, it didn't have the boring info-tainment programs such as the Music Room and Design 360.

CNN Europe is a different beast. Our first year living in Germany, CNN and M-TV Germany were the only English language channels we received, and I quickly tired of the rather superficial and lack-of-variety news coverage. At the time, it was just the Palestinian-Israel coverage reported nearly the same way every 10 minutes, but from numerous angles (e.g., what's the effect on world peace?, how does this effect global investment?, what does this mean for the Bush foreign policy?).

Now, we luckily get SKY Digital (don't tell the British Authorities!) and I shun CNN in favor of Fox News. I must admit it does appeal to me mainly for its conservative slant, and I really enjoy Neal Cavuto. For me, it's the best way to keep in touch with US Domestic happenings.

BTilke, though I certainly don't fault you for waching the Daily Show, which is a great program.

celticdreams Jul 8th, 2004 03:04 AM

Funny that you brought this up. I used to HATE Richard Quest - bugged the heck out of me. Last year, a friend of mine saw him filming a segment on learning a foreign language. He was in Rudesheim (sp?). She walked up to him, introduced herself to him as me and got his autograph for me. It was kind of cool, it started as a joke, but now he makes me laugh.

As for CNN US vs CNN international - it's interesting to watch while I'm in Germany (because it's the only English channel in the hotel - except when I accidently catch Leno once in a while). I wouldn't want to have to watch it constantly. I'm a Fox news person, and find CNN a bit too biased (on the left, obviously) But, it's interesting to get a 'world' view of things.

My hotel doesn't get BBC, but my friend does, at her apartment so that's nice as an alternative once in a while. Depending on where I'm staying in Germany, I can sometimes get AFN which is always a nice break.

JulieVikmanis Jul 8th, 2004 05:04 AM

Each time we're in Europe my husband and I remark on how we'd so much rather have CNN International at home than CNN US, though I share the concern over the terribly repetitive nature of the actual news segments. I'll never get used to Richard though.

ncgrrl Jul 8th, 2004 06:18 AM

I wish CNN-US carried more world events. When I watched CNN-International I learned much more about world events than I would at home. Though it isn't just a CNN-US thing, all US-based news does a lousy job on foreign affairs.

Here in the US, the local PBS station carries BCC World News, but it seems to be a program for the US market. A lot of US news with a little bit of the UK.

Grasshopper Jul 8th, 2004 06:22 AM

Glad to know I'm not the only one who has trouble with Richard Quest! :-) He drives me nuts!

I think there's a lot less more repetition on the CNN Iternational. It's clearly intended for short views (not watching all night when you can't sleep because you have jet lag!)

xyz123 Jul 8th, 2004 06:22 AM

Recently several of the hotels I stay at in London have taken CNN international off of their tv choices and substituted the crummy CNBC international. Can't fathom why they would do such an imbecilic thing.

mgmargate Jul 8th, 2004 06:30 AM

R.Quest's delivery is a nightmare.I prefer Fox because they admit they are for the most part conservative but they present the positions of the left. Most of the other "news organizations" seem to ignore the facts that don't suit their liberal agenda,leading me to question their integrity.

Patrick Jul 8th, 2004 06:46 AM

Congratulations, BTilke, you must have found a really great wine to drink in quantity or have learned to relax to the ultimate to find that Richard Quest is no longer "grating". After an entire year, when I turned on the TV and got CNN this year, the first thing my partner said was, "Oh my God, they haven't gotten rid of that guy yet?" This morning he attempted to interview a guy about Yahoo stock prices and absolutely refused to let the guy speak; Richard kept injecting his own thoughts before the other guy could even get his out.
And that weather gal, Femie Okay (yea, I know I spelled it wrong) is just as obnoxious. My favorite is when she points to the weather in Miami and says, "here in the panhandle of Florida".
I can watch CNN International for about an hour (much repeating within that time), but then have to turn it off for at least a day or two if I don't want to just see all the same things again.

Grasshopper Jul 8th, 2004 06:52 AM

Patrick! Hello!! Nice to see you pop up. You are still on your trip, right? I hope you're having a great time.

sera Jul 8th, 2004 07:57 AM

I get cnn international on my digital cable and I like some of their shows. Also, you can get actual news when cnn-us is playing "People in the News" over and over again.

Tomato Jul 8th, 2004 08:46 AM

Fox news balanced ?
CNN international left-wing?
What a sick joke!

During the Iraq war last year CNNint was full of the most vile pro-US one-sided propaganda.

BBC World was and is much more balanced.

Christina Jul 8th, 2004 08:57 AM

I don't really like CNN International at all but often watch it because it is the only English-language channel on the TV in many of the hotels I've been in. It doesn't really seem like a regular channel to me, more like a promo channel or like the one with the channel guide because they don't have very many long programs and keep repeating the same few things all day. Their weather isn't very good, either, in that they don't even mention a lot of important cities. As I recall, they don't even have Prague or Budapest or Krakow on their weather list, but a lot of other bizarre places. So I couldn't get any weather info when I was traveling in that area.

I think I watched BBC Skynews once or so, but it's not usually on the TV.

I usually watch French news in Europe, actually, as I know French and its better than CNN. I don't watch CNN very much at home or MSNBC, because they are more headlines-type news, not in-depth. MSNBC is mainly business, as I recall.

I've never seen a US news channel on a TV in Europe.

BTilke Jul 13th, 2004 02:56 AM

My Secret Shame: I actually *choose* to watch Richard Quest in the morning. I find him a refreshing alternative to the blandness of BBC's Breakfast Show. Although my favorite morning show is the parade of web cams from around Europe shown on KetNet, a Flemish or Dutch channel.
Personally, I can't watch FoxNews for more than 10 minutes without wanting to throw something at the television, but I certainly understand that people with more conservative views would appreciate its coverage. The more variety of views the better overall.
(What I find amusing about the web sites of tv news channels like MSNBC or CNN and Fox News is that they all often rely on wire services for breaking news. So that "right wing mouthpiece" Fox News and that "left wing mouthpiece" CNN can both be running the exact same story. LOL)

Thanks for all your posts!