Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Clothings for Christmas Season in Vienna and Salzburg

Nov 8th, 2004, 02:37 PM
Original Poster

Hi, I will be in Vienna and Salzburg over Christmas. And I am wondering what I should put on in order to keep warm. What about shoes? Do I need anything special for the snow (if it comes)?

Also, are there any dress code if I want to attend any performance or go somewhere for dinner? Are sporty down jackets ok?

I have never been in Europe in winter and am a bit worried about the cold and snow. Thank you.
Nov 8th, 2004, 02:42 PM

i have found the people do dress up for the opera and ballet in vienna. but then there are sudents in jeans.. so.. whatever. you definitely can wear dressy clothes and not feel overdressed.

you will need snow boots or shoes you can wear if it snows.
i have only visited vienna in winter, several times. it was absolutely gorgeous, as was salzburg, with the snow.

everywhere has excellent heating.
be prepared to pay to leave your coat in coatroom at every café and of course, the theater.
we joked that we hadn't budgeted for that!! (it gets a bit costly when you run in and out of places all day!!)
Nov 8th, 2004, 03:15 PM

I can't speak to the opera or the symphony. I do, however, live in Seattle and we compare our weather with the weather in central Europe. Here the secret is to layer. We have found a fleece to keep the warm in and a shell to keep the wind and wet out works pretty well. We have found the same thing in Europe.
Nov 8th, 2004, 06:36 PM

I would never wear a sporty down jacket out to a performance or dinner anywhere, but definitely not in those places. I just read an article in some travel magazine (probably National Geographic Traveler) about Salzburg in winter and they said it was a rather formal city in that the locals wear fur coats to buy produce or something.

I wouldn't take a sporty down jacket myself, it sounds like something only for a ski resort area or something.
Nov 8th, 2004, 09:47 PM
Original Poster

I agree that a down jacket may not be "appropriate" for dinners or performances. It will not be something I do at home but then it never gets to that kind of climate here. That's why I am wondering. I will remember the idea of layers and, of course, the cost of coatrooms!

Snow boots/shoes are mentioned. Aren't they "too sporty" for dinners too? If so, what can be the alternatives? Are normal leather boots ok in snow?
Nov 9th, 2004, 11:52 AM

I haven't been to Vienna in years, but the Viennese are extremely formal in their attire. You will see people dressed for the opera/theatre in velvet opera capes, for example. Dressing in casual attire for an evening performance could make you feel very out of place.

Salzburg can be very glamorous. I thought it to be almost as fashionable as Milan. Even women seated at outside cafes were dressed to the hilt with their fur coats, heels, and Yorkshire terriers peering out of Furla handbags.
Nov 9th, 2004, 12:02 PM

On the one hand, I agree that Vienna and Salzburg are more formal and you probably would something a little more conservative...OTOH, many places in Vienna are almost fanatical about making you check your coat (and often making you pay for the privilege), so any fashion discomfort should disappear as soon as your coat is squirreled away in coat check.
I think you would feel comfortable with a longer coat. It will keep you warmer than a short coat. If you come from a warm climate (Hawaii?), you will feel quite cold. Layers are a good idea, as Aisleseat said. But Aisleseat, Vienna and Salzburg will definitely feel colder than Seattle (I used to live in Washington state and even here in Brussels it's colder than Seattle and Vienna has harsher winters than Brussels). Today, the morning temperature in Salzburg was just a hair above freezing and there was fresh snow in the hills outside town.

Make sure you have a hat, scarf, gloves, comfortable warm (and waterproof) low heeled shoes or boots for everyday walking. Some silk long undies sounds like just the thing for someone who might be sensitive to cold weather.
Nov 9th, 2004, 12:05 PM
aj

Try something in a "Geiger" boiled wool jacket in black. They are warm, leightweight and layer well with a silk shirt. I believe they are made in Austria. I wore one in France several winters ago and felt warm, dressy but not too dressy.
Nov 9th, 2004, 01:25 PM

We were in Salzburg at Christmas three years ago and there was snow and it was quite cold. We are from southern Michigan so we are used to fairly cold winter weather, but when you are out walking everywhere, as we were in Salzburg, the cold is worse than when you drive everywhere (as we do at home). Warm lined boots were essential and even then we passed up midnight mass in the cathedral because it was simply too cold to walk there and back. So don't underestimate the weather. It might be warmer, but there is no guarantee.
Nov 11th, 2004, 06:53 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all your advice!
Nov 11th, 2004, 07:20 PM

We spent a week in Vienna in December a few years ago. I have never been colder in my life, and I live in Connecticut! The local women and men were wearing fur hats and fur coats, and all the women were wearing tall boots which I would expect were lined.

There was plenty of snow.

We learned the reason for the existance of "Slivovitz". We had a shot each evening when we returned to our hotel. It's a defroster!

Vienna's weather is nothing at all like Seattle's, which is basically temperate!