Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Clothing To Wear and Thiefs (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/clothing-to-wear-and-thiefs-76604/)

I.M. Worried Jun 19th, 2000 09:59 AM

Clothing To Wear and Thiefs

I am going on a 6 week tour or Europe this fall. It is true that no one there wears anything except black from head to toe? Why is this? What is wrong with my pink jogging suit and three-toned Nike Air shoes? They never get any second looks here in Des Moines. I am also scared to death of the Gypsies that I have been told will attack me and rob me blind, and might even throw a baby at me! God, that poor baby! Is it true that all Gypsies are thiefs? <BR> <BR>Also, I need advice on rooms? I hear that a man in Italy, one Dr. Abate, lets rooms at a good rate? True? And can I get a nice 2 bedroom hotel room in central London for under 80 dollars a night? <BR> <BR>Please answer me real soon as I am really worried that those Euro-trash people might be out to rip me off. <BR>Thanks

rurude Jun 19th, 2000 10:15 AM

Do you think this is cute? It's a little sophomoric for my taste.

Bored Silly Jun 19th, 2000 02:27 PM

A little obvious, aren't you? Where's the creativity?

Anobvioustroll Jun 19th, 2000 02:40 PM

Oh, this Forum has become much too serious and mean spirited. This was obviously an amateur's attempt to troll and get a funny thread started. In the good old days, someone like Dr. Fordor would have taken this and run with it, to the amusement of all. Now, people race to be the first to hurl an insult. Oh, where is Elvira when you need her? I was going to give it a go, but you people sapped all of my creative juices and humor before they got a chance to bubble into something mildly amusing. Ahem.

not_rude Jun 19th, 2000 02:57 PM

Sorry, there's nothing cute about this. It clearly makes fun of some of the genuine but naive questions you sometimes see around here. This forum is useless if no one feels comfortable saying what's really on his or her mind. There are plenty of topics we can have some fun with-- go find one!

goawaytrolls Jun 19th, 2000 03:04 PM

Nice try troll... maybe you'd get better pickings somewhere else. Have you tried Lonely Planet lately?

xoxoxox Jun 19th, 2000 03:11 PM

Oh, you guys are way too touchy. If you do some searching, you will find many long threads poking fun at things new travelers do. Everything from washcloths to bright clothing to weight. There's nothing new about that, and it probably has not deterred anyone from seeking legitimate travel advice. And that is the point: it was all in good fun, and funny too.

nancy Jun 19th, 2000 03:22 PM

What is this about washclothes? <BR>Is there something funny about them? <BR>Help! <BR>I need to be enlightened about this one. <BR>Nancy

Fan Jun 19th, 2000 04:35 PM

Ah, washcloths. There were a few long threads making fun of all things Americans want/need/do on vacation in Europe. One such thing was the need to have a washcloth. I don't recall how to find those old threads. <BR> <BR>Any help for Nancy out there?

nancy Jun 19th, 2000 05:57 PM

Thanks , <BR>As much as I love all these old postings , I am not sure it is always the safe thing to do! <BR>I have a question, <BR>But I do not want to start one of these crazy postings with my innocent question. <BR>Why would one need to take a washcloth to Italy? <BR>People there have towels, yes? <BR>Thanks if anyone can disperse the mists of confusion from my clouded brain. <BR>Nancy

washcloth Jun 20th, 2000 06:01 AM

I've never seen washclothes supplied in a hotel bathroom in Europe. Who cares if people take washclothes with them?