Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Clothes to bring July 14 (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/clothes-to-bring-july-14-a-134093/)

dorothy parker Jun 30th, 2001 06:47 AM

Clothes to bring July 14

Hot or cold or both? We are taking a week in Great Britain Tauck tour starting in Edinburgh and going to Scottish border, Cotswolds, Oxford, etc. Once we get to London we are leaving tour and doing 3 days on our own. I am mainly concerned with countryside and dinners. Both of us like casual.

JOdy Jun 30th, 2001 07:09 AM

Most likely both! right now its 70 in both edinburg and London, and 70 there always seems hotter than 70 here in FL, don't know why. I guess your dress for evening depends on whether you are dining with your group and where you'll be dining. As I recall Tauck are rather upscale tours, but I don't see why you couldn't wear a pr. of dark slacks, witha silk sweater or blouse in a bright color, and a jacket or stole if needed, That gets me in just about everywhere with some earrings, scarves or whatever you prefer. Most men will be wearing jackets in the better places so you husband may need a sport coat or blazer and nice slacks.

JOdy Jun 30th, 2001 07:25 AM

JOdy thanks for your help. I think you are probably right on all counts. The nights we are dining with group it will probably be at 'country estate hotels' where we are staying. I was planning on bringing a pair of wool gab houndstooth check pants and a black jacket and pants made out of a soft cloth that feels like suede [can't think of name] but is washable and lighter. For day I was planning on khaki pants and polo shirts. Am debating taking a blue double breasted gab blazer to go with above for dinner but it is heavy to carry. Good idea about scarves and stole [shawl] Many thanks again. Agree that 70 there is hotter on other side of pond than 70 here but it has been a long while since I have been in UK.

JOdy Jun 30th, 2001 07:55 AM

HI again Dorothy.<BR><BR>Sounds like my travel wardrobe! I have a pashmina shawl ( bought it new on ebay great price !) it goes with me everywhere, perfect in spring and summer for coolish night or a/c, and in fall and winter on its own with a jacket or sweater or for additional warmth with a coat if needed. Best investment I ever made and it folds up to nothing

JOdy Jun 30th, 2001 12:58 PM

JOdy, thanks to you I'm ready to go. Found a few scarves in my drawer and have a black cashmere shawl [a la pashmina.] Dorothy<BR><BR>P.S. Took the lining out of my black LLBean raincoat to make it lighter. Do you think I'll need it?

JOdy Jun 30th, 2001 06:02 PM

Dorothy-<BR>I rather doubt it , but don't hold me to it! I think I'd chance it without and just take a folding umbrella and hope for the best!

JOdy Jun 30th, 2001 06:04 PM

Dorothy- It looks like I'm writing allthese comments myself.. You are supposed to put your mname in as author!! have a super trip , you must be raring to go!!

Andy Jul 1st, 2001 09:47 AM

Dorothy- we went to England in mid May- COtswolds,Lake District and Chester- The weather here said England sunny and 70 for up til the day we left--so we left our raincoats in car at airport--arrived in Heathrow to 70 degrees and sunny--woke up next morning 50 and rain--ps it rained all week and for some reason got colder as we approached London--so BRING RAINCOAT WITHOUT LINING PLUS UMBRELLA--also you will not need wool slacks at nite -reg.black dessy slax will be fine, but you may be too hot if you wear lined wool. THe shawl is an excellent choice- I ended up buying a cashmere shawl there for the cool nites but for the most part we never went out at nite as we stayed in manor houses with restuarants so we never needed anything heavy....bring some short and long sleeve t's and layer for during the day if it's cool.That's what we did last month. Have a great time