Reload this Page >

clothes for italy - a girlie thing

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 16th, 2001, 06:12 PM
Mitzi

Is it appropriate to wear pants out to dinner? I've read that Italians dress very conservatively. Am curious as to what to wear in Rome, Florence, and Venice. Any advise from you seasoned travelers? First time traveler to Europe and need help. thanks

Old Mar 16th, 2001, 06:27 PM
StCirq

Italian women wear pants out to dinner all the time. I wouldn't agree that "Italians dress conservatively." They have tremendous flair, and inlarge part they are thin and beautiful, which helps to make them look wonderful no matter what they've got on. But pants are definitely OK - not scruffy jeans, but nicely tailored ones, that is. We had dinner last summer in Rome with a young Roman woman who was wearing (aftger a day working in a Roman law firm) black Capri stretch pants and a grey cotton-knit t-shirt, with scarf. Very simple, but very attractive. LESS conservative, though, than what her counerpart here in the DC area would have been wearing at a law firm.

Old Mar 16th, 2001, 06:51 PM
BILLYC

Mitzi, I'll be in Rome soon, if I run into you I hope your wearing something shear and pink with a plunging neckline. <BR>caio <BR>

Old Mar 17th, 2001, 10:41 AM
Ann

Mitzi, Black!

Old Mar 17th, 2001, 10:56 AM
Lesley

Italian women dress very simply and seem to avoid prints...if you want to blend in pants will not be an issue but solid colours particularly black, navy, camel and red are the key (and lets face it are easier to pack in a mix and match way). But do bring or treat yourself in Florence to a beautiful large silk scarf, I didn't see any pashmina's on well dressed Italian women when I was there but they do have a knack wearing a fabulous, and colourful scard with a flourish. If you are tempted to buy a silk scarf and don't have deep pockets, try the Straw Market near the train station in Florence- they knock off Ferragamo at 10% of the real thing prices. I don't mind $250 for F. shoes but get a little queasy about the same thing for a scrap of silk!

Old Mar 23rd, 2001, 08:57 PM
Mitzi

Thanks everyone for your replies. Love ann taylor, yes I plan on lots of black...hope I don't look like I'm in mourning....Billy...I'll be the one with a rose in my teeth!!!

Old Mar 26th, 2001, 11:09 AM
Sarah

Glad I saw this post. I was wondering the same thing myself, but also wanted to find out how to dress for time of year. I am going May 5-12 Rome, Amalfi, Sicily, Venice. I live in Boston - will it be like June? Or cooler. Thanks to anyone who can recommend clothing for the time of year.

Old Mar 26th, 2001, 11:23 AM
Syl

Mitzi, Just returned from Rome and slacks seemed quite appropriate. I wore black slacks everywhere. The Roman women dress tres chic in blacks, grey and camel from what I saw. Strangely, they were their heavy winter camel/mink trimmed coats and leather trenchcoats at a mere balmy high 50's weather. Besides at every restaurant we went to, it was so crammed packed with customers and the tables are sooo jammed close together, it is quite evident that people are there for socializing and eating as the main order of business rather than judging others who walk in. Have a wonderful time and most importantly take the most comfortable walking shoes you have, though if you can, avoid them being white tennis shoe types. <BR> <BR>My wardrobe was condensed to 3 black washable slacks, a black blazer and 4 wshable tops, plus assorted scarves and jewelry. The extra pair of dress shoes I packed never came out of my suitcase. <BR>

Old Mar 26th, 2001, 11:42 AM
Bev

I will also be in Venice, Tuscany and Sorrento the first two weeks of May. Are capri pants and sandals appropriate daytime wear (for a woman!)? Thanks for your help.

Old Mar 26th, 2001, 11:56 AM
Santa Chiara

Sarah, hotter, 80s or 90s. Cotton button-down sweater for possible cool nights. <BR> <BR>Bev, yes.

Old Mar 26th, 2001, 11:58 AM
Lisa

In addition to agreeing with pretty much everything that's been said here, I wanted to mention something about clothes in Rome. I was there in late May three years ago and found the weather warm, so I dressed in a classy sleeveless above-the-knee dress. This was NOT considered appropriate attire for touring the Vatican. At the Vatican and St. Peter's, women are expected to have their legs and arms covered. (Short sleeves are fine.) And yes, capri pants and sandals will be fine for May in just about any part of Italy. Have fun!

Old Mar 26th, 2001, 12:03 PM
Jeanette

I just returned from Northern Italy and every kind of fur, quilted, colored coats were evident; sometimes indoors. Hats, caps, gloves, and scarves when it was 45 degrees were on everyone. I saw very little black compared to New York or San Francisco. I saw a lot of bright colors and especially red leather in jackets- and lots and lots of red leather shoes (loafers, boots and every kind imaginable- platforms AND skinny high heels with dagger toes.) In the windows there were a great variety of cool yellows, creams, and very light blue ensembles with leather jackets- sometimes to match. Long evening gowns that were red and slinky in lots of different materials abounded. <BR> <BR>Overall there was a much bigger variety of styles and types of clothing that I see in the USA. Young women wore both long clinging skirts and tight pants. Older women wore skirts with a more formal custom or classic 30's look. My biggest suprise is that the makeup was much more individualized. Some girls from the former Soviet Union (Ukraine) and some from Eastern Europe wore tons of makeup but looked good and it was applied with great skill. Some Italians wore almost no makeup. I think you should be yourself. The only negative IMHO (and more so to my traveling companions) was the Italian women's propensity to put on overpowering scent. <BR>On an outside terrace you could smell the presence of these two ladies for at least a half hour after they had left. Smoke and perfume are much stronger than at home in the USA.

Old May 11th, 2001, 12:12 PM
nedda

Hi, I was wondering what are the best type of comfortable walking shoes recommended. I was thinking some black disel or nike walking shoes, since I will be packing mostly black for my trip. Should I wearing cute semi-comfortable sandals or very comfortable semi-cute tennies? Thanks

Old May 11th, 2001, 12:42 PM
A.M.

Just back from Rome, Florence and Venice myself. The weather was in the 70's but alot of Italians were still in winter type clothes. Go figure. Bring comfortable dark shoes AND sandals. Only where white sneakers if you want to look German, they were the only travellers I noticed wearing sneakers! Nice dress pants and happy tops is what to wear. I noticed many Italians wearing swede and leather jackets and these really cool shoes...looked like oldfashioned leather bowling shoes, in red and tan and black. Bought myself a pair, hope they come into fashion here! If you are staying in the cities leave the jeans at home and bring an extra pair of pants or a skirt, preferably washable as you can get hot and dirty. I personally thought I brought way too much black. I also never wore the little black dinner dress I brought.

Old May 11th, 2001, 01:46 PM
Deb

A.M. - what exactly are "happy tops?"

Old May 11th, 2001, 02:48 PM
A.M.

Deb, <BR> I coined that during my trip, cause I saw all these women travellers wearing somber, dark clothing (including me). I decided I'd make an effort to wear more colour next time. Colour makes me happy, tops are less conspicuous than bottoms thus "happy tops" lol...

Old May 11th, 2001, 03:01 PM
kam

I live near San Francisco and I don't live in Paris, Rome,London, Florence etc. When I travel, I take pains to dress well in styles that would be acceptable here while considering the fact that I am traveling. I will never look like an Italian woman, but hope that in putting my best California face forward they will appreciate my efforts and think me appropriately dressed. It's also fun to leave space in your wardrobe for one sweater, one scarf or other small item of clothing to purchase there. Makes you look well dressed and is a great souvenir. Don't plan on buying a lot or expensively, however, because it might not look so great when you get it home! So far, it's worked for me.