Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Clothes for Feb. in Paris? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/clothes-for-feb-in-paris-678018/)

beachgirl86 Feb 8th, 2007 01:20 PM

Clothes for Feb. in Paris?

Hi all,

Off to Paris in 9 days :) I've been checking the weather, and it says 40-50 degrees each day. What do you all pack for clothes to travel to Paris this time of year? What kind of jacket -- wool/raincoat/medium or heavy weight/etc..? Sweaters, etc...? I'm a woman, btw! Thanks for any tips or suggestions! I haven't been to Paris since I was 16, about 12 years ago, and I'm looking forward to it!

traveller1959 Feb 8th, 2007 01:30 PM

It can get much colder than the average temperatures. It can also rain or snow heavily. A thick wollen wintercoat would be appropriate. In any case, pack a sweater. Gloves, scarf and hat. Scarves are very elegant in Paris.

Do not take colorful ski jackets. They are not appropriate in Paris.

nbujic Feb 8th, 2007 01:34 PM

true, it can be very windy ( and cool)
We were in Paris in the second week of March - I wished I had a hat and a warmer coat ( I took a light wool jacket )

Christina Feb 8th, 2007 01:38 PM

The same thing as where I live, as the weather is about the same (Washington DC). It's about the same as New York, also, so why don't you pack as if you were going there, if that helps.

djsteach Feb 8th, 2007 01:39 PM

I was in Paris last February with my 25 year daughter. Be prepared for all kinds of weather. I found a down coat (Black)was the way to go. I also brought my shearling (black) too. Layering works best. Bring a few pairs of walking boots...foot doctors recommend that you do not wear the same pair of shoes for days in a row. Be prepared with bandaids and insoles. You will be walking A LOT!!!!!!!!!!!! Always carry a small foldable umbrella, hat, gloves and, of course, a scarf. Lots of wonderful reasonably priced scarves sold by sidewalk venders to buy and wear there and at home. Enjoy your trip!!!!!!!!

Toupary Feb 8th, 2007 01:55 PM

The temperature in Paris right now (almozst midnight) is 39°. This is supposed to hold for the next five days (highs in the low 50's). Don't count on its being the same as Washington right now. There was a 20° difference today.

You can get a 5-day forecast on CNN closer to the time you leave.

RM67 Feb 8th, 2007 02:50 PM

Generally it's more temperate than the North East Coast of the States - ie slightly warmer in winter, slightly cooler in summer - though be aware it can still snow or reach the 90's. At the moment much of Western Europe is having a cold snap.

hazel1 Feb 8th, 2007 03:03 PM

I was in Paris in February two years ago and it was blustery and cold, but who cares -it was Paris! Definitely plan on wearing a hat, gloves and scarf & dress in layers. I brought a pair of black tights that I wore almost every day and it really helped keep my legs warm. Cashmere or merino wool sweaters are great because they are very warm but not bulky. As for a coat, I had a fleece-lined rain parka with hood that was fine. I'd brought an extra microfiber jacket to wear as an additional liner if needed, but it wasn't necessary. One thing to consider is having a tote bag - the downside of dressing for warmth when you're outside is that you're often overwarm inside museums, etc. and it's nice to have something to stash your hat, gloves, sweater, etc. in. Have a great time!

beachgirl86 Feb 8th, 2007 04:55 PM

Thanks so much for all these wonderful reponses...I love reading them, and they are very helpful!

Leilei Feb 8th, 2007 05:16 PM

We were in Paris for Christmas and the temps were in the 30s.I wore lightweight layers- silk, merino wool and cashmere and stayed nice and warm. There were times that I wore not only long underwear, but also tights and knee socks. I took a pair of Naturalizer lined boots, but usually just wore my Merrell Primo Patch shoes and they were soo comfortable. We took what we call our 'Vermont coats' which were bought for a Christmas trip to Vermont. Not the most stylish, but the warmest. We saw all kinds and colors of coats, tho the long quilted coats seemed the most popular. Dress for warmth and you will be fine.
Have a great trip! ;-)

julies Feb 8th, 2007 06:50 PM

We were there last March and another year in February. Last year I never even wore the regular pair of shoes I'd brought but wore my ankle high, gore-tex walking boots that resemble a shoe every day. I learned this our 1st winter trip there; you can be awfully miserable with cold wet feet.

Also, take silk long johns. Some days they can be invaluable. The other thing that no one has mentioned is that many of the buildings are quite overheated, so if you are in a warm turtleneck sweater you will die. I found the solution to be layers with a crew neck sweater and then a neck scarf--perfect for layering and I blended in with all the French women with their scarves.

suze Feb 8th, 2007 07:39 PM

I think a good outer-wear coat and 2-3 pair of shoes or boots that alternate are important. Add hat, gloves, scarf. The rest is normal layering of pants, t-shirts, sweaters, etc.

Art_Vandelay Feb 8th, 2007 11:56 PM

weather.com gives you 10 day forecasts that are usually quite accurate. Then , just dress accordingly, with the same clothes you would use at home for the same temperatures, it's no rocket science! Granted, avoid loud ski jackets. Americans are also quite fond of long coats that are very seldom worn in France nowadays, even for formal clothing... and come what may never matched with bright white sneakers! Unless you are a twenty-something drummer in a rock bank or a homeless person, or unless temperatures are really below 0° C (32 F), wearing a woolen hat will also attract some glances, but nothing to write home about.

Toupary Feb 9th, 2007 02:51 AM

Beachgirl,

When I said there was a 20° difference between Paris and Washington right now, I should have been more clear -- Paris is the warmer of the two. But your probably figured that out.

I wear a long wool coat with a scarf and gloves. When I was traveling here, I usually brought a black trench coat with a removable lining. Unless you want to bring lots of coats/jackets, this seemed to work best. Layers work well. Bring bottoms (skirts or pants, depending on what you are most comfortable in) that will work with all of your tops.

As previously mentioned, a small umbrella that you can keep in your purse is indispensable. You may never need it, but it's nice to know it's there.

Have a wonderful visit.