Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Clothes (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/clothes-106543/)

Sheila Feb 16th, 2001 06:05 PM

Clothes

I'm leaving for Paris in 3 weeks, and I can hardly wait. Will be there for 5 days. Can someone please advise me on the type of clothes that I will need during the daytime and also for evening wear, probably just to nice dinners? Thanks

Deborah Feb 16th, 2001 09:24 PM

Sheila, I've been to Paris many times. Casual clothes for daytime is just fine but Parisians do not wear Jeans over there. You can of course but you will stick out like a sore thumb! If you see other people dressed in Jeans you will know they are from the states. For dinners your clothing will depend on what type of restaurants you will be eating at. Most women wear dresses in the evening there, moreso than a pantsuit. There will be a lot of rain so take umbrellas, rain hats and rain boots. You will most likely need them this time of year. Hope I have helped just a little bit!!

Capo Feb 16th, 2001 09:36 PM

Not being a woman, I'm afraid I wouldn't be very good at recommending specific attire for you. Two comments, however. First, I'd definitely bring something warm as Paris can be quite cool in mid-March. And second, in case you're considering wearing jeans, I must respectfully disagree with Deborah that Parisians do not wear jeans and that you will stick out like a sore thumb should you choose to wear them. Perhaps older Parisians do not wear them, but I've seen plenty of younger Parisians wearing jeans when I've been there. The people who most stick out like a sore thumb, in my opinion, are those with shorts and running shoes, but I doubt you'll be wearing shorts in mid-March. Bon voyage!

richardab Feb 16th, 2001 09:38 PM

For the evening i recommend something casual and black...

Capo Feb 16th, 2001 09:41 PM

P.S. I second what Richard said about black. In my opinion, you can't go wrong with black.

Donna Feb 17th, 2001 03:38 AM

Here's another recommendation for black. When packing for Paris, I take black bottoms (slacks, skirts, maybe a dress), white and ivory tops, and several sweaters in beautiful colors, along with a blazer in black or a color. A black skirt or slacks, beautiful ivory blouse (or even a white or ivory tee), and blazer or sweater, with one or two pieces of nice jewelry, with black shoes of course, will take you anywhere. Add a really nice belt and a scarf, and you'll be tres chic! Twin sweater sets are handy as well.

Sheila Feb 17th, 2001 03:54 AM

Thanks so much for all your advice. I was actually planning on bringing a long casual woolen skirt for evening wear along with different tops. I just went out and bought a "very" comfortable pair of black shoes for daytime wear. My son is insistent upon wearing sneakers for daytime. I'm counting the days and praying we'll be lucky and have very little rain. I can dream, can't I?

Johnny Cash Feb 17th, 2001 06:18 AM

Yes, wear black exclusively, all the time. It'll make you look 'chic'.

vicki Wren Feb 17th, 2001 04:10 PM

I have been reading this forum for a few weeks, and decided to jump in on this thread. <BR> <BR>I've been to Europe 3 times. Every time I go, I pack "light" and never have what I want to wear. I'm going this time with a 26" suitcase, check it , let the taxi driver put it in the car, the guy at the hotel take it to my room,and not touch it again till I unpack and hang up my clothes. I'm taking 5 (FIVE) pair of shoes!! I'm sick of looking like "well, no one knows me, so it's O.K." I'm going to Paris, and I'm going to dress like I'm in PARIS! I will admit, tho, I'm staying in one place for two weeks!

arjay Feb 17th, 2001 06:22 PM

You go, Vicki! After several trips of over-packing (tho I always liked what i took)...I'm getting ready to leave in 10 days..and have a monochromatic, and - i hope- pared down, wardrobe to go into a smaller suitcase. I say....let's compare notes here, after we both return, and see how it goes??

tina Feb 17th, 2001 07:05 PM

Parisian women match the stereotype, they are extremely chic. If you have time for shopping early on get one or two scarves. Parisians wear them all the time, you will treasure them as souvenirs of your trip, they can be as warm as a sweater on your shoulders, and you will feel as chic as can be.

elvira Feb 17th, 2001 07:22 PM

I just packed a week's worth of clothes in a 21" carryon: thin black wool jersey skirt, black faille pants, 2 pair of navy pants, 2 black cotton jersey tops, 2 dark knit tops, a pair of flats (naturalizer walking shoes), 3 scarves, and the undies/sox/pj's. Makeup, OTC drugs, lotions, shampoo and perfume, plus two books, my camera, film and a booklight/flashlight combo. <BR>The way to pack light is to wear things more than once, color coordinate, and find lightweight fabrics (a pair of pantihose + lightweight pants take up less room than a pair of heavy wool trousers). <BR>I hate standing at the luggage carousel, so I'm willing to give up several changes of clothing for the convenience of rolling off the plane, through customs and immigration and onto the shuttle bus&gt;the RER. <BR>

betsy Feb 17th, 2001 07:44 PM

'Vira! <BR> <BR>Are you packing just for exercise or are you headed off on another adventure soon? Does your reference to the RER mean you're going back to Paris? Tell all! <BR> <BR>Bon voyage?

Vicki Wren Feb 17th, 2001 07:55 PM

O. K. arjay, you're on! I want Elvira to tell us if she was cold (unless she's going to Italy or some warm spot). I want the liner in my raincoat, and a nice blazer, and I too, am only taking 1 skirt and 3 pr pants, but I want to dress 'em up or down, and can't do that with nothing but flats. <BR>A couple of cashmere sweaters, and 2 silk blouses, three long sleeved tee's, my robe and slippers(yes, yes) and the other stuff she's mentioned and a nice two piece black wool crepe suit...can wear the skirt and jacket with other things. Oh, and my pashmina shawl! The wind in Paris is cold in April. <BR> <BR>I've done the 20" carry-on...been there, done that. I'm taking a leisurely trip, and don't mind waiting for my luggage. <BR> <BR>

arjay Feb 18th, 2001 03:10 PM

Vicki - Well, I'm not totally decided yet, but I'm pretty sure I'll be taking at least two turtlenecks (we're travelling 3/1-3/15; Amsterdam, Brugges and Paris); a black pantsuit in sort of Tencel fabric (like it so well, I just bought one in taupe and I think it goes too!); maybe 4 liteweight tops for under the jackets? black, aqua, white, red and a couple of knit longsleeve tops in dark colors. Just bought a long sleeve cotton knit dress in black, almost ankle length. It could be a uniform for the two weeks, so I'm pretty sure that goes and one pair of low black suede pumps, the only shoes other than the walking ones i'll be wearing. Hmmmm...this probably doesn't sound like 'light' to the veterans here.. <BR>But last time, on a two week+ trip, we had to do laundry twice, and I don't find that much fun either. We've just bought two new 24" wheeled cases, one for each of us, and what doesn't fit, doesn't go...(oh, and an umbrella, of course!)

Art Feb 18th, 2001 08:41 PM

Elvira, I envy you and others who can pack light. I find with 2 pair of shoes (2 walking and 1 dress) I need a checked suitcase just for them. You've seen me Elvira and know what I'm talking about.

Michelle Feb 18th, 2001 09:45 PM

Does anyone have any experience with ECCO shoes? I've heard from many that these are extremely comfortable and come in a variety of styles. We leave for London/Paris in 4 weeks. I really want to pack one pair of shoes that I can dress up or down. <BR> <BR>I plan to pack mostly black, with some colorful sweater sets, blouses and a few scarves. I just found a great 3/4 length black coat that will work in cold/rain. <BR> <BR>Thanks for the previous posted tips/advice!

nan Feb 18th, 2001 10:21 PM

I have terrible feet, and need to wear orthotics. I've worn several pairs of Eccos, and have found them to be quite comfortable, but I recently discovered a new brand that I like better than any I've tried -- Stonefly. I got a pair of short, black lace-up boots that are amazing. I wore them every day on my trip to Paris in January, with dressy clothes and casual. They're also waterproof (Goretex). Got them at Nordstrom. Highly recommended.

Miles Feb 19th, 2001 01:59 AM

Find out the weather, dress appropiately - if you eat in michelin starred establishments, dress accordingly, if you dine in cheap bistros, dress down - simple? I take it that you are an adult and hopefully of reasonable intelligence and self-integrity, why do you need to ask others how to dress? If I asked whether I should wear suit X or suit Y for work I could hardly expect one to take me seriously. Furthermore, why do you thinnk anyone is interested in you? In the grand scheme of things, you, I , and everone else are no one. Please could people stop asking for fashion advice in a travel forum. Learn how to dress appropiately, before you embark on travelling.

Tony Hughes Feb 19th, 2001 03:24 AM

That was a little mean, Miles. <BR> <BR>Deborah, plenty of Parisians wear jeans, more than likely the ones you have seen have been professionals/workers in the touristy areas etc thus they probably dont wear jeans. <BR> <BR>And unfortunately this wearing black nonsense has reared its ugly head again. Anyone unfamiliar to Europe must think we are a nation of undertakers. Do all the Rick Steves tours have stopovers in coal-mining areas or areas whrere there are many old widows etc? Wear black - what nonsense.