Notices

Closest Car rental office near Pantheon?

Old Jun 20th, 2005, 08:38 AM
rjs
Original Poster

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Closest Car rental office near Pantheon?

I just booked a car through AutoEurope to rent in Rome (with Hertz). We are staying at a hotel next to the Pantheon (Albergo del Senato). AutoEurope told me that the Rome Train Station was much closer to our hotel than the Hertz rental office by the Spanish Steps.

I went online to ViaMichelin to check just how far it is to walk (we'll be hauling some rather large suitcases to the car rental office). The website shows that the Spanish Steps are quite a bit closer (.6 miles as compared to 3 miles), which is the opposite of what AutoEurope told us.

Has anyone been to either location? I've never been to Italy and want to minize our walking with our luggage when we go to rent the car. Could ViaMichelin be wrong in their mapping, or is AutoEurope misinformed? Appreciate the help very much.
Old Jun 20th, 2005, 08:44 AM
rex

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
While it is arguably somewhat challenging finding your way through the Centro Storico, you CAN go get your car, and drive it right to the front door of Albergo del Senato - - and then put your luggage inside, carrying it for ten steps.

Best wishes,

Rex
Old Jun 20th, 2005, 08:45 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Seems to me that the Spanish Steps would be quite a bit closer. You may want to spring for a cab though instead of schlepping "rather large" suitcases through the streets of Rome. Or you may want to reconsider even taking large pieces of luggage on your trip. There is a lot of information on the board in archived posts about luggage and packing.
Old Jun 20th, 2005, 10:11 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Why not take a cab to the hotel, drop off your suitcases, then go get the car? I don't mean to be rude, but you're not serious about lugging suitcases through the crowded and hectic streets of Rome, right?
Old Jun 20th, 2005, 12:43 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
AutoEurope is misinformed. Spanish Steps are much closer. But why do you want to rent a car in Rome? I would suggest (if it isn't too late) that if you are going somewhere by car when you leave Rome, don't pick up the car till then. Of course, if you plan some driving trips to the surrounding countryside, a car would be useful; otherwise it's a burden you really don't need.

Rex is correct that you COULD with some difficulty drive right to the del Senato. But after dropping off luggage, you or someone will need to take your car somewhere to park it.
Old Jun 20th, 2005, 12:52 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
rjs may correct me, but I read the post as if they are staying in Rome a while and when they leave they will rent a car -- that's why they'd have luggage with them, they'd be leaving Rome not arriving.

First, I'd ask the guy who told you your hotel is closer to Termini than the Spanish Steps to tell you how many people it took to move those Spanish Steps.

I'd suggest either taking a taxi to the car rental place, or walking there, get the car and come back to get your luggage.
Old Jun 20th, 2005, 04:09 PM
rex

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
<<I read the post as if they are staying in Rome a while and when they leave they will rent a car>>

my interpretation as well...
Old Jun 21st, 2005, 07:20 AM
rjs
Original Poster

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for your responses to my question. I may not have made myself clear in writing my post (no surprise to me!), but we would rent the car as we leave Rome and head to the Tuscany region. I did email our hotel and they stated that the Spanish Steps are closer. Thanks for all your advice!