Clontarf Castle in Dublin (Ireland)?

Old Jul 13th, 2004, 08:14 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Clontarf Castle in Dublin (Ireland)?

Has anyone stayed at Clontarf Castle? They have an Internet special and they're in a good location between the Dublin Ferryport and the airport for our last two nights in Ireland.
Old Jul 13th, 2004, 09:29 PM

Haven't stayed there, but at a BB close by. The first time we saw it, in about 1982, it was in disrepair, as I remember. It has been renovated. In 1998, we ate in their pub-lounge and had pretty good food. The location is great and busses into the city centre are just a short walk to the road along the Bay. mhm
Old Jul 14th, 2004, 12:45 AM

This is my local most weekends. What is the rate as it is usually quite expensive. There is a bus stop outside the hotel and it is a quick taxi to the Ferryport. Go for it! It's a nice hotel, I have been to several weddings here and a Ball a few weeks ago. The interior is like a castle (Supposedly the remains of the original) the rooms are more modern. There are 2 bars the main one is huge with big screens for sunday sports and its a very social atmosphere at the weekends. The other bar is the Dunbgeon where they do a Carvery on the weekends and is behind the main bar. The reataurant upstairs is pricey and good but I could reccommend better for the money. I would definately stay there are it is a good hotel and a nice unique place to stay. The neighborhood is lovely for walking and you are just a few streets from the seafront.

Let me know if you need any further info...see you at the bar!
Old Jul 14th, 2004, 09:30 AM
Original Poster

Siobhan, the Internet rate is 125 Euro for a double room. Normally I try to keep us at 80 Euro or below for two people, but an occasional splurge is OK. I figure we make it up when we find something for 60 Euro for a few nights.

We'd love to see you at the bar....but we'll be there mid-week (Tuesday and Wednesday nights). Is that your local only on weekends?
Old Jul 14th, 2004, 12:28 PM

Jury's Christchurch runs Euro 108 to E125 per night and they are considered cheap! Sounds like a good deal to me.
Old Jul 15th, 2004, 01:39 AM

I am sure it is usually well over 200 euro. It is an amazing rate, well done. Its a fun place for a castle feel but I believe the rooms are modern (never seen them). If you are eating local here are a few walkable places. I would not eat every night, I ate there sunday in the bar and its OK. Service is a bit slow and we have eaten better it was just convenient.

On the Corner of Vernon Avenue and the seafront is a new cafe opened called The Sand Bar. It is mostly Italian and grood prices i.e.minnestrone 3.50 Bruschetta 3.00. We ate there for the first time Sunday and it was nice. On Vernon ave itself around from the Sand Bar is Picasso an italian place and its a bit pricey but nice. "Les amis" is another reataurant mid priced that does Pasta Burgers etc. They make a great Vanilla Coffee. There is a local Pub there on the seafron opposite side of Vernon ave called Connellys or "the Sheds" Just a local bar. Here is a map showing the the roads from the castle to Vernon Ave. http://www10.mappy.com/sidKJbA444KDG...;x=21&y=14

If you like Indian there is one on the seafront closer to town called Bilash and they do a set menu as well for 25pps including coffee and dessert and I think a bottle of wine. It is walkable from the castle but a longer walk they should be able to give you a small map. If you have a car go to howth or Malahide for the evening for lunch or dinner.

Enjoy!
Old Jul 16th, 2004, 07:46 AM

We just stayed at Clontarf on 1 July for our last night in Dublin. Our rate was 175 Euros (2 adults, 2 kids so they pulled in an extra bed). It sounds like you're getting a good rate. Nice hotel. The rooms are standard hotel rooms but the lobby and restaurants are castle-like. Our 5-year-old son found Sponge Bob Square Pants in Gaelic on tv...he seemed to enjoy it as much as he does when it's in English