Search

Self-drive or Private driver?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 22nd, 2011, 11:52 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Self-drive or Private driver?

On one of my earlier posts I put my driving itinerary:

Shannon to Killarney to kenmare to portmagee to dingle to doolin back to shannon. 4 Day trip - I know it's going to be a snug fit but I think it's doable.

Now, the question is... should i rent a car and do it myself (if so does anyone know the approximate cost of gas?) or hire a private driver? The cheapeast I can find is 400 euro per person. This only includes the driver, gas, and transportation.

Any help is appreciated.
Old Mar 22nd, 2011, 12:17 PM

"400 euro per person. This only includes the driver, gas, and transportation"

I do not understand -- how does a per-person charge apply to hiring a car? or a car and driver? I'd expect the price quoted for a car to be per day or per mile, not per person.
Old Mar 22nd, 2011, 12:38 PM
Original Poster

I have 3 people traveling... all companies that I've contacted (and I've contacted at least 10!) all quote in per person. So 400 euro per person for 4 days = around 1200 euro. And, that's the cheapest I've found so far.
Old Mar 22nd, 2011, 12:56 PM

nicmic. me dears...rent a car, do it yer good selves...(don't need a driver)....maybe €30-40 per day.
It's been more than five years since I rented in Ireland, so I dunno fer sure. Contact Dan Dooley's web pages..I always had good service from Danny boy on four visits.

http://www.dan-dooley.ie/

Have yerselves a foine toime.
Old Mar 22nd, 2011, 01:16 PM

Unless your party are all elderly, timid drivers, you'll be much happier with a self-drive car. Even paying the premium for an automatic shift, it cannot cost as much as the per-person price you were quoted--that's just nuts.
For petrol prices, see
http://www.aaireland.ie/AA/Motoring-...ol-Prices.aspx
(looks like $8+/gallon, based on E1.49/l)
Old Mar 22nd, 2011, 01:30 PM

If you drive yourself, the following website is really helpful for determining routes and driving times. You will find that the driving times in Ireland are longer than those in the States. http://www2.aaireland.ie/routes_beta/
Old Mar 22nd, 2011, 01:40 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for the great links. I think i am definitely going to drive myself, the 400 euro per person is just TOO MUCH!
Old Mar 22nd, 2011, 02:24 PM

We have been corresponding with www.tourdublin.ie about a private tour. His price is 400 euro per day and covers the transportation, driver accommodation, tolls, parking etc. Entrance fees not included.

While this is expensive, it is an alternative to driving yourself and not a per person charge.

We did something similar about 3 years ago in Scotland and absolutely loved the experience. We are very much looking forward to our next one - this time in Ireland.
Old Mar 22nd, 2011, 05:02 PM

nic, while Roadwatch is helpful, convert to miles and divide by 30 to get the hours that a particular drive will take. They are optimistic, to say the least.

Definitely do your own driving. And start with Dan Dooley, as they will quote an all-inclusive price with no surprises at the rental desk.
Old Mar 22nd, 2011, 05:35 PM
Original Poster

Thank you - I am going to go with Dan Dooley - b/c like you said it's all inclusive. I don't wan tot get there and have an extra $300 tacked onto my bill b/c they charge through the roof in insurance fees. Thank you for your help - I have decided to go ahead and drive myself and just allot for some extra time to get to each city. Thanks!
Old Mar 22nd, 2011, 06:12 PM

IMO You should drive yourself. I drove around Ireland for two weeks no problem, the back roads are small
Old Mar 22nd, 2011, 06:22 PM

Try to see The Gap of Dunloe in Killarney, also drive the Ring of Kerry in the opposite direction of the Tour Buses that way your not following buses the whole time. Check out Rick Steves Ireland tour book.
Old Mar 27th, 2011, 09:44 AM

I specialize in Irish travel and my personal opinion if you only have 4 days and want to get the most out of it, is the privte driver route. I personally work with a couple of companies that would be far cheaper or at least include your accommodation and full Irish breakfast daily. A private driver/guide offers you insight you otherwise wouldn't have regarding Irish history, culture, folklore. They can offer great advice for "off the beaten" track places, restaurants and pubs. And the big bonus is the driver who would have otherwise contended with navigating narrow roads and watching for signposts, can now watch the beautiful scenery instead.