Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page > Climbing athe Monuments of Europe-Most steps?

Climbing athe Monuments of Europe-Most steps?

Aug 7th, 2003, 08:49 AM
Original Poster

Climbing athe Monuments of Europe-Most steps?

When we visit any monument, famous church, or building, my family loves to climb it. What are the climbs with the most steps?
We climbed the Dome of St. Peter's which has 382 steps after you take the first elevator. We walked the whole way, but I don't know the total number.
The Dome of the Duomo in Florence is 483 steps.
What climbs have you made and how many steps are there? Any great stories to go with your climbing?
Aug 7th, 2003, 10:01 AM

fairoaksjim, good to see your family are masochists, also. My wife tells friends that whenever we travel to Europe, that we climb "1,000 stairs a day."

Although exaggerated, we do like climbing to the top of buildings, churches or monuments.

I've climbed the steps to Notre Dame at least once a decade since the 60s (I started young), and plan to have that goal till I die (maybe at the top).

I don't know how many steps there are to get up to Corniglia in the Cinque Terre, but after hiking all day, it seemed like a million. Thank God, there was a nice bar with a view (and good beer) for us to relax before descending.
Aug 7th, 2003, 10:19 AM

What is it with you climbing people?!

A friend I go to Europe with loves to do this and I've been dragged along behind every time.

A few I can think of:

St Paul's in London.

Duomo in Florence followed by the bell tower there.

406 steps up the hillside in Liege, Belgium www.detrixhe.com/belgium/406_steps.htm

Waterloo monument south of Brussels

Spanish Steps, Rome

Steps at Sacre Coeur, Paris

Battle of Leipzig monument in Germany (this has a very orderly red/green light at the top to control traffic in the narrow stairwell.)

Steps to the cathedral in Le Puy-en-Velay
Aug 7th, 2003, 12:05 PM

It must be Milan cathedral. It just must!
Aug 7th, 2003, 12:15 PM

Fairoaksjim: Though I didn't count the steps, one of the most arduous climbs I have done recently was at the William Wallace (Braveheart) monument outside Stirling in Scotland.
Even though my husband and I walked almost every day for eight months before the trip and also did leg weights to build up our muscles, I had to stop and rest midway. On the way down the hill my legs were shaky from the exertion!
The view was more than worth it, though.
P.S. We are going to Europe again in Sept. and have been following the same "get-in-shape for the trip" routine for months now!
Aug 7th, 2003, 12:25 PM

"get-in-shape for the trip" routine.."

My wife and I were just talking about this subject. After work, we'll walk, and I don't even feel like going all the way around the block.

Amazingly, when I get to Europe, I can walk all day, climb all the steps, hike the longest trails and never tire of walking or hiking even more the next day. My wife calls it, "Tom Vacation Mode."
Aug 7th, 2003, 12:36 PM
Intrepid

Uh....would it be possible that the Eiffel Tower has more steps than all of these other "monuments"..perhaps combined. And YES, you CAN climb all the way to the top if you know the right people!

Aug 7th, 2003, 12:57 PM

The 366 steps up The Belfry in Bruges were quite bad, the steps up from Abesses Metro in Paris a killer, not forgetting the steps up from Covent Garden Tube - don't what ever you do try this, wait for the lift no matter how long the queue. I know this is cheating but the worst steps up a monument has to be Bunker Hill in Boston, I thought I was going to die.
Aug 7th, 2003, 01:33 PM

My European record is the Duomo in Florence....and the view is certainly worth the climb!
Some literature says that the tower at the campo in Siena has 500 steps, but I counted only about 400 when climbing up and counted about the same number coming down.
By comparison, the Duomo in Milan is a simple climb!
Aug 7th, 2003, 04:10 PM
Original Poster

Thanks. Let's keep climbing.
Aug 7th, 2003, 04:12 PM

My wife and I have met and chatted with many nice people on our numerous ascentions. I suppose that would make us social climbers.
Aug 7th, 2003, 04:16 PM
Maira

How many steps does La Giralda Moorish Tower in Seville has? It went on forever.

Aug 7th, 2003, 04:23 PM
Maira

My husband just reminded me that La Giralda had no steps, but ramps. He reminded me the story of the beautiful Arabian horses going all the way up to the top. The highest bell tower in Spain, La Giralda (800 years old) stands about 100 meters high. One thing is for sure, it would be much easier going up steps, than going up those ramps.

Aug 7th, 2003, 04:39 PM

509 to the top of Koln cathedral. Ask me how I know that. Go ahead, ask me. But I'll need to catch my breath first before I reply....
Aug 7th, 2003, 04:43 PM

"The 39 Steps are in ________?"
Aug 7th, 2003, 10:33 PM
Original Poster

How do you know?
Aug 8th, 2003, 02:08 AM

the climb from the lower level of the chatalet metro....definitely!
Aug 8th, 2003, 04:58 AM

I didn't realize St. Peter's had 382 steps. Sacré Coeur seemed much worse. After about 200 steps, I thought I was going to have to carry my 6 year old daughter the rest of the way. Fortunately, she stuck it out.
You can also find some great climbs in Monaco. Steps everywhere and aside for the exercise one gets from walking/climbing around town, the cave (La Grotte) in the Jardin Exotique has about 300 steps.
Aug 8th, 2003, 10:34 AM

The 12 steps to recover from my chocolate addiction in Paris!
Aug 8th, 2003, 10:42 AM
dln

Dome of St. Paul's in London. Don't know exactly how many steps, but it was worth it for the view. Also worth it to take a photo of St. Paul's, point to the top, and say "I was way up there."

In Boston, the top of the Customs Building. Did it when I was a teen, couldn't do it now! Found out halfway up there was an elevator but at that point was too stubborn to use it. In for a penny, in for a pound, I guess.

Search this Thread