Cliffs of Moher safety

Old May 20th, 2003, 12:43 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cliffs of Moher safety

The Irish Examiner (www.examiner.ie) is running a sad story on its site today about a terrible fall at the Cliffs. Visitors need to take care!
Old May 20th, 2003, 12:56 PM

What a terrible story. The Cliffs do have many areas that would be easy to slip from, especially if the grass is wet. When we were there we saw many young people who had hiked down onto one of the outcroppings and had to lay down to keep from losing their balance in the wind.
Old May 20th, 2003, 03:28 PM

It's a shame that so many folks ignore the postings and climb down to the edge. Eventually, it's bound to happen and leads to things like railings which obstruct the view but keep the less cautious at bay.

When we were there, a couple of little boys, who were NOT by the edge, we holding their jackets as a cape and jumping in the air, the winds lifting them and sending them back some 4 or 5 feet. Looked like they were having fun, but with winds like that, ignoring the signs, the walls and hanging out over the edge is asking for trouble.
Old May 21st, 2003, 05:12 AM

When I was there I thought that if the cliffs were in the USA there would be a guard rail along the edge and it would really interfere with the view...but then people really have to exercise personal responsibility.
Old May 21st, 2003, 10:03 AM

Having visited the Cliffs of Moher several times, when in Ireland, I clicked on the link to the Examiner. Following that, I clicked on various sections of the paper, and eventually got to the Obituaries, which have been archived from 2000. Because Irish names are of interest to me, I scrolled down through the archived names, for a few pages. Imagine my surprise when I saw the last name of my 2nd cousin listed. She had passed away just a week or so ago, and we have not had a letter from Ireland about it yet. The Irish newspapers usually post obits for people from all over Ireland, not just those in Dublin, or Cork. She was from a small townland outside of Skibbereen. So, today, sympathy letters will be going to family members, with an explanation of how I found out.
This BB is valuable for travel information, and for other information, also. M
Old May 25th, 2003, 11:22 AM

We were at the Cliffs the day the lady fell. We met the rescue team as we came back from walking to the tower viewing point. There is a wall along the steps to the highest point, but people were climbing over the wall to take a better picture, even though the wind was blowing furiously. The searchers were at a spot where there was no wall just cliffs with a sheer drop.A very sad story.
Old May 28th, 2003, 07:52 AM

I heard that story while I was there also. The winds were pretty ferocious along the coasts. We stood out on the well guarded lighthouse at Mizen Head and thought we would get lifted off. Imagine the lawsuits if that happened in the States, not to mention having to endure Diane Sawyer and the like interviewing the families.

Bill
Old May 28th, 2003, 08:17 AM
Cam

The media are now reporting that the fall was a suicide by a local resident.
Old May 28th, 2003, 10:16 AM

We were there the two days after the fall and yes, she did jump.
But there were still people taking ridiculous risks climbing over the railings. The wind was very strong. And there was a light rain falling. So it could get slippery on the grass.