Seeking Scenic Route from Bath to Devon

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 20th, 2017, 06:03 AM
Original Poster

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

On Sunday we will be driving from Bath to the eastern portion of the Dartmoor Park. Any suggestions for a route or stops along the way. Is East Devon Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty worth exploring? reading about it sounded like there was limited accessibility. Thanks for your suggestions!
Old May 20th, 2017, 06:33 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Hi Yestravel,

not sure exactly where you're headed for, but for me, the highlights would be [in order of North to South]

Wells [for the Cathedral and Bishop's Palace]

Lytes Cary and Montacute [both NT]

Lyme Regis or Sidmouth if you want to drive through the area you name and see the coast

Topsham

No way you'd have time to see all of that in a day.

My choices would be Wells and Topsham, though Montacute is also ++ worth a stop.
Old May 20th, 2017, 08:24 AM
Original Poster

Hi Annhig! I was hoping you would see this. Thanks so much! Saw st cirq in Oxford last week and she mentioned what a nice meal she had with you. Not sure where you are, but we will be in St. Ives beginning Wednesday for 3 nights. Would love to meet you and thank you in person for all your great tips.
Old May 20th, 2017, 01:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
yestravel, you might want to take the bus from St-Ives to Penzance (we did the reverse). It's a nice town for at least a half a day. You're in a car, if I recall, so you can easily drive to Newlyn (for the fish market if you get there early) and Mousehole (where we had the wonderful dinner with Annhig).

We didn't chance upon any great restaurants in St-Ives (we had OK crab at a place called Rum & Crab or something like that, but it was really pretty pedestrian and the crab sandwhich was bland), but there is one bar (you can't really miss it if you walk all the way down the shoreline to almost the end) that is up on a side street to the left on a second- or third-floor patio (easy to spot as it's the highest point you can see from the shoreline where people are drinking on a terrace) that was really nice and had sunlight long after all the other places were in shadow. Just a thought if you're looking for a place to have a drink before dinner. It's a fairly nice view out over the harbor from up there, though a bit obstructed by cars on the tiny road and sailboats near the shore.
Old May 20th, 2017, 02:39 PM
Original Poster

Hi! Thanks for the suggestions. Food has been hit or miss. Until Bath more miss than hit, so nice to learn of a good one. I do like Bath a lot.
How has your trip been? We've enjoyed ours, but the weather has been so rainy and dreary. I am so sick of opening and closing an umbrella. This weeks forecast looks better. I just hope it's accurate.
Old May 22nd, 2017, 12:15 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Hi yestravel,

hope you had a good journey yesterday - the weather where we were [Taunton at a cricket match] especially in the pm was great - we had to move out of the sun it was so hot! Lovely today too but I was working, sadly.

I'd love to meet up with you but at the moment things are a bit difficult at home due to DH's illness, so I can't really commit myself, but you could send me an email at [email protected] and we can see if we can sort anything out.

Sorry you've had mixed experiences with food; whether we make it or not, good places in St Ives are the Porthminster cafe, [must book] on the beach of the same name, Porthgwidden Beach cafe [ditto] The Alba by the lifeboat shop, and the Pedn Olva up the hill towards the station. There may of course be many more but these are pretty reliable [I've eaten at all of them save the Porthgwidden but a food friend likes that one]

Enjoy the rest of your trip!
Old May 22nd, 2017, 02:18 PM
Original Poster

Thanks! Good to have some suggestions. I sent you email.