Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Clarks Shoe Store in London (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/clarks-shoe-store-in-london-339689/)

BTilke Jul 22nd, 2003 07:44 AM

Clarks Shoe Store in London

My husband will be in the UK this week-end and would like to pick up a new pair of Clarks...is there a flagship or large store? If not, which department or other store has the largest collection of Clarks for men?
Thanks!

obxgirl Jul 22nd, 2003 08:13 AM

I believe their flagship store is located at 101 Regent Street. There's another quite nearby (also on Regent St.) but I don't have the address in my notes.

BethH Jul 22nd, 2003 10:04 AM

I know that there is a Clarks store near the British Museum (I don't know if this is the one mentioned or not) - we stopped in there while walking from the Underground to the Museum. One caution: my husband is tall and wears size 13 American which is an almost impossible size to find in London, evidently. He saw 4 - 5 pairs of shoes he really liked but they only had his size in one of the pairs.

BTilke Jul 22nd, 2003 12:47 PM

Thanks. He wears a size 11 1/2 or 12 American, so hopefully he can find a pair. Which tube stop is closest to 101 Regent Street? (We looked at the Clarks web site, but to locate a store, you have to put in a post code)

obxgirl Jul 23rd, 2003 10:49 AM

I found my notes on this. Picadilly Circus is the nearest tube stop for the Clarks at 191 Regent Street. W1B 4EZ There's another shop at 203 Regent Street and that one might be a little closer to Oxford Circus.

obxgirl Jul 23rd, 2003 10:50 AM

Whoops. That's 101 not 191 Regent Street.

BTilke Jul 23rd, 2003 12:31 PM

Thanks all...my husband will be having a "manly" mini break in the UK this week-end. After the Eurostar arrives, he's off to have a professional shave at Geo. Trumper's (he likes their shaving products), then will get his new Clarks, then meet up with a friend for lunch. Later, he's catching the train up to Oxford where he's meeting with his brother and they're going to rent a boat to cruise around the Thames on Sunday afternoon. (I would be jealous, but I went to Paris last week-end...)

obxgirl Jul 23rd, 2003 03:09 PM

Well I am jealous of you both! Hope your husband finds the Clarks of his dreams.

Cheers!

Nigello Jul 23rd, 2003 11:28 PM

There is a Clark's sale shop in Elephant and Castle. Go to the Elephant and Castle Tube stop (Zone 1) and try to negotiate the underpasses and traffic! The shopping centre where it is at is pretty ugly, but the shoes will be cheap. You can also get lots of buses there and back (12, 171, 176, 148, 68, 168, 1 etc.) but it is better to get the Tube (Bakerloo Line).

BTilke Jul 24th, 2003 02:23 AM

Thanks Nigello, but I think he will stick to the "regular" store on Regent Street to have a better selection. However, if he's over in the Elephant and Castle neighborhood, he will look for it.

BTilke Aug 1st, 2003 06:00 AM

First, thanks to everyone for their helpful suggestions. In fact, he went to the Clarks store in Oxford and got a great pair of black "dress" shoes for a deeply discounted 20 pounds and another pair of brown shoes for 39 pounds.
Also, the Geo Trumpers in London (www.trumpers.com) store is a real treat that we recommend for men visiting London. He had a shave there (Trumpers is a maker of top line shaving products) and he really enjoyed it. It cost 26 pounds, which was a lot for a shave, but he did feel it was worth it. He bought a few products as well (he first tried them back in the U.S. at Nordstrom's) and I guess he's crossed over the line to become a bona fide "metrosexual." LOL.
No luggage storage at the Oxford train station, FYI, or at least nothing big enough to take a suitcase.
One sight he highly recommends is the Ashmolean museum. We have both read Philippa Gregory's Earthly Joys and Virgin Earth (two excellent works of historical fiction), so he was keenly interested in seeing the Tradescant collection that was the foundation of the Ashmolean.
He rode the Eurostar first class (we got a good price on the ticket) and was glad...second class was packed but first class was empty. Another FYI, the first class lounge in Waterloo is not available to travelers with the discounted "tourist" first class tickets...you have to have a business or better fare.

flanneruk Aug 1st, 2003 09:48 AM

If you set out to insult us loyal Trumper customers, you've achieved it.

Most of us are determinedly heterosexual. No doubt the normal proportion of us are (probably equally determinedly) homosexual. "Metrosexual" is precisely the kind of modish, media-generated, term no gentleman - so a fortiori no Trumper customer - would ever use. Not even the dandified ones who buy their smelly stuff. We're - all of us - fogeys and proud of it.

The place has been threatening to go downhill since they started having women barbers. If they introduced your husband to "metrosexual", final collapse - muzak, photographs of famous customers, branches in places nooves shop - can't be far away.

violet2 Aug 1st, 2003 10:26 AM

There was a Clark store up the street from the High Street Kennsington Tube stop (yellow and green lines).

I have bad luck shoe shopping, no one had sizes for my wide, fat, Yeti feet.

Violet

BTilke Aug 1st, 2003 11:17 AM

FlannerUK, wow we really got up your nose! FYI, my husband has been using Trumpers products for many years, so he's every bit as "loyal" as a stick up the butt old fogey like yourself.
Anyway, I used the term metrosexual (as a joke), not my husband, and I don't mind in the least being told that I'm not a gentleman.