Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Civitavecchia: What is there to do there?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 4th, 2004, 11:00 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Our next trip will give us a day in Civitavecchia. Does anyone know of things to do in or near there since we don't want to go to Rome for the day? We're wondering about trying to find ancient Ostia which shouldn't be too far away but we're not sure there will be much to look at. Thanks!
Old Aug 4th, 2004, 11:08 AM

Ostia Antica is near the Rome airport and a good hour from you. That location is isolated---I suggest getting a driver and seeing the Etruscan towns of Tarquinia, Pitigliano, and Sovana. It is hard to see Italy from a cruise ship.
Old Aug 4th, 2004, 11:14 AM
GAC

Consider your day a success if you visit the Archeological Museum and the necropolis of Tarquinia. You can go there from Civitavecchia by bus or train.
Old Aug 5th, 2004, 01:26 AM

I agree with bobthenavigator, that you should consider getting a driver for the day and take a drive along the coast. I think Tarquina is particularly interesting. My guess is that it would be about 30 minutes from the port. Get a guidebook to that area before you go, or do a search on the internet, you may find information and maps of the area.

From Tarquina, you could continue north along the coast, stopping for lunch at the Il Pellicano Hotel on the Tuscan coast. I believe the drive would be less than 45 minutes from the port. It has a wonderful spot right on the cliffs overlooking the sea. Not so much of historical interest, but a lovely area. Take a look at http://www.pellicanohotel.com

I think that Ostia Antica is doable from the port for a day trip. Ostia Antica is south of the port, near Fumicino airport. (There are two airports in Rome, one is inland primarily for domestic flights, called Ciampino, the other Fumicino is near the coast and is for international flights.) You could get there in about an hour from the port, not really a long drive. Rick Steve's has a good self-guided tour to Ostia, go to http://www.ricksteves.com/news/0202/ostia.htm. The little town of Fumicino is nearby on the water and has some good and very casual seafood restaurants. For more of a splurge, on the way there or back you could stop for lunch at the lovely La Posta Vecchia hotel on its black sand beach, a 17th century mansion which is also a former residence of JP Getty, and a sister hotel of Il Pellicano. (Both of these hotels are in Patricia Schultz's book, 1,000 Places to See Before you Die.) They also have the remains on two Roman villas on site which you can arrange to see by appointment. Take a look at http://www.lapostavecchia.com. The hotel is about a half hour from the port.

The following car service companies have been recommended by others on this site for drivers in the Rome and Naples area. I have used Positano Car Service several times and have always been pleased. You may want to contact all of them for a quote for a 5-7 hour day with a car and driver.

positanocarservice.com
www.cuomonet.it
www.sorrentolimo.com
www.benvenutolimos.com

You could also rent a car yourself, but I am not sure where the nearest car rental office would be from the port. Perhaps you could call Hertz, Avis, Europcar, etc and ask.

Old Aug 5th, 2004, 05:29 AM

If your reason for "not going to Rome for the day" is because you have been there before and have no interest in returning---that is understandable.

If your reason is the cost of a planned day excursion bought from the ship at about $175.00 per person, that is also understandable. However, as noted by the other posters, it is a fast trip into Rome (either San Pietro Station or Rome Termini) by train----if you want to "go on your own".

You can see quite a bit of Rome in one, full day.

If you prefer to see some sights outside Civitavecchia, there are car rental agencies in the port area.
(Example: I checked Auto Europe and their one day rate is about $160.00---you should be able to do better. I only checked one car rental site for pricing.)

As other posters mentioned, Tarquinia is a lovely, small hilltown northeast of Civitavecchia and it has a great Etruscan treasures' museum on the town's main and quaint piazza. (For a town that size, we were very impressed by their collection.)

East of Tarquinia (about 1 mile), you will find several Etruscan tombs that are open for viewing. You walk down into them from ground level, and most have still-intact, painted murals from the Etruscan era.

You can also get to Tarquinia from Civitavecchia by car or bus.

If you want to then venture a little further afield, try Civita di Bagnoregio (The "Village in the Sky" of Rick Steves' fame). It is not a far drive---and is great fun to explore. It is medevial,with friendly townspeople, a homey atomosphere, and killer views of the surrounding countryside.

Personally, I would not go all the way down the coast to Rome exclusively for the purpose of seeing Ostia Antica.
Old Aug 6th, 2004, 02:57 AM
Original Poster

Wow! That was my first posting and I'm thrilled with such informative responses. We were in Rome last year and the year before for a week each time so with only a cruise ship length day it seems a good idea to see something wholly new. Thanks to Bob the navigator and GAC and Cicerone and Georgine I'm now eager to see Tarquinia especially. My husband has his heart set on Ostia (thanks Georgine for the explicit and helpful info). I'm off to Google to learn more! Again, thanks!