civitavecchia to fiumicino airport & hotel

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 2nd, 2006, 05:14 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are booked on a med. cruise this summer, and have begun to make land arreangements.What would be the least expensive way to travel from the port to the airport? Also, we will need to stay in a hotel for one night. What area do you suggest (I guess near the airport will make more sense)? We have been to Rome in the past, so we will not be doing much sightseeing since we will be there for just one night.
In summary--1.port to airport transportation 2. hotel near airport. 3. transportation to airport.

Thank you in advance for any advice.
Old Jan 2nd, 2006, 05:57 AM

Instead of worrying about all transport, hotels, why not spend that last night at www.fontanadelpapa.it Assuntina & Claudio 's beautifully restored family home offers wonderful meals, wines, cooking lessons . They pick up from the dock and bring you to the airport the next day.
Old Jan 2nd, 2006, 02:28 PM
Original Poster

etruria,

Thank you for your reply. This is not the first time I have heard about the fontana...but, I am looking for something more urbane and closer to the airport. Hopefully someone will be able to provide other information. Again, thank you.
Old Jan 3rd, 2006, 04:27 AM

Rh - The cheapest is by train via Rome. This involves a change of train at Roma Trastevere or Roma Termini.
Fare: appr. € 9-15.00
(€9 via Trastevere; €15 via Termini)

For timetables go to:
www.trenitalia.com

Here's a thread on hotels convenient for Fiumicino airport:

http://www.fodors.com/forums/pgMessa...umicino+hotels

Many people prefer to stay in Rome and take the train out to the airport. If you do this it's best to stay somewhere near Roma Termini or Trastevere - from where there are regular trains out to FCO.

Alternatively you could stay in Rome and book a limo transfer to the airport.
These limo companies are frequently recommended here:

www.limoservicerome.com
www.airportshuttle.it

Hope this helps ...

Steve

Old Jan 3rd, 2006, 07:59 AM
Original Poster

steve,
thanks a lot for your precise message. To my understanding then, I will need 1.to take a taxi from civitavecchia to a nearby train station 2. take the train to termini if I choose to go to rome. 3. take train from termini to fiumicino.
last year when I was in rome, I stayed at a very nice and ultra modern Raddison hotel which is just a few steps from the side entrance at the termini that leads to the airport train; however, since I had a very early flight , I could not even take the first train and ended up using a shuttle service for about $40. euros. This year, I am trying to simplify and stay near the airport since we are going to be there basically for less than 24 hr. What I still do not understand is if from civitavecchia I can take public transportation to go directly to fiumicino? Please reply if you can further clarify. Thanks a lot

Old Jan 4th, 2006, 01:20 AM

If you're going direct from Civitavecchia to Fiumicino you will still have to change train in Rome.

In this case it's better to change at Roma TRASTEVERE (rather than Termini). There are trains every 15 mins from Trastevere to FCO.

When you buy your ticket, ask for Fiumicino VIA Roma Trastevere.
If you don't, they may book you via Roma Termini (- which costs € 6 more ...)

The fare is € 8.70

Hope this helps ...

Steve

N.B. Don't forget to VALIDATE your ticket before boarding.
Old Jan 4th, 2006, 06:01 AM
Original Poster

Steve,

Again, thank you for sharing your knowledge. I believe everything is clear now.
Old Jan 4th, 2006, 06:05 AM

Just to clarify for you: the entrance to the port area of Civitavecchia is about a ten-minute walk to the train station...but you are correct in your thinking that a taxi will be essential to get you and your luggage from the pier where the ship actually docks to the train station.

There are ticket machines at that station as well as a ticket window. USE the window (they speak English well enough to understand what you are trying to accomplish).
Old Jan 5th, 2006, 06:08 AM
Original Poster

steve and/or intrepid1,

one more question ,if you please. in order to avoid problems with taxi driver, do you know the name of the train station that I will need to go from the port? The cost of this short taxi ride should not be too much, don't you think? Thanks in advance.
Old Jan 5th, 2006, 06:27 AM

Rh - The station is actually Civitavecchia F.S. Just ask for la stazione ...

It's only about 1-1.5 miles - so really shouldn't cost that much. I'd guess about € 10. It's best to fix the price before you get in.

Hoe this helps ...

Steve

Old Jan 5th, 2006, 06:39 AM

Steve is correct..there's really only one "stazione" in the town..or can can also say, "Stazione Trenitalia."

Now, what i would mentally prepare myself for is this: there will be independent taxis swirling around the pier on the morning you arrive. Some of them are going to want to take you <b>all the way into Rome</b>..this happens all the time and you have to be prepared to possibly be patient until you find one who is willing to take you just a little ways down the road.
Old Jan 7th, 2006, 06:19 AM
Original Poster

again, thanks to all of you for all the help. Now everything is clear.