Civita del Bagnoregio (from Orvieto)

Jan 20th, 2007, 10:42 AM
Original Poster

Civita del Bagnoregio (from Orvieto)

Rick Steves just raves aboaut Civita (the dying hill town) and we want to see if but are only in that area on a Sunday, staying in Orvieto the previous night. Is there other means of transportation? Has anyone stayed at the Civita B&B or the Romantica Pucci B&B?
Ciao
Jan 20th, 2007, 01:08 PM

Dear patiboo:

Civita is worth a few hours. Try to do as a day trip, or on the way somewhere else. Civita and the larger town of Bagnoregio are pretty dead in the off season.

Good luck,

MY
Jan 20th, 2007, 01:50 PM

If you are a Rick Steves fan, you will be happy making the trip to Civita. If Rick Steves' guidelines in general otherwise aren't your cuppa, forget it.
Jan 20th, 2007, 02:59 PM

LucieV,

Could you clarify your remarks? I'm not sure I get your point?

-Bill
Jan 20th, 2007, 03:14 PM

Oh, I enjoyed my visit to Civita. It's a 1-2 hour visit. We stopped in an old olive press museum and had a glass of wine.

If you have a car, it is easy to get there and get out. If you are going by public transportation, you're held hostage to bus schedules.
Jan 20th, 2007, 04:03 PM

I visited Civita several years ago, on the rave reviews of Mr. Steves. 'Twasn't, for me and my family, all that. Several other recs of his didn't ring our bells either, including some of recs that we read & looked at on our trip this past October. I have nothing against the guy, I just think his recs & his travel style aren't for everybody. I hope that's ok w/you!
Jan 20th, 2007, 04:05 PM

I went there and liked it, not because of Rick Steves (never read any of his stuff), but because of what I read here on Fodors. I think the Fodorites were right on, in my opinion.
Jan 20th, 2007, 04:18 PM

Oh, b'man, I thought of you after I posted that. I do hope you like Albergo Lenno, as it is not a Steves' rec!

(Actually, I know you're going to like it. )
Jan 20th, 2007, 06:11 PM

Okay with me Lucie. O

-Bill
Jan 20th, 2007, 06:19 PM

Of course you should go. I have been 3 times now and always enjoy it--take your camera. There is a bus from Orvieto I believe--we have always driven.
Jan 20th, 2007, 07:13 PM

Hey, Lucie, everyone's got their take on Civita. My wife hated it when she had to cross that bridge to get there. It's a height thing, but enjoyed the enchantment once we got up there.

I think I'm going to like Albergo Lenno, and I appreciate your recommendation.
Jan 20th, 2007, 09:24 PM

Ooooh, I almost forgot about that bridge, b'man. My husband had to sing some crazy song to me to convince me to get on it. Once on it, I was fine -- actually kind of enjoyed it, but I definitely can understand your wife's feelings!
Jan 20th, 2007, 10:16 PM

I too wondered what Lucie V's point was about Civita, and regret to say her "clarification" didn't elucidate anything.
Phrases like "twasn't for me" and "didn't ring our bells" leave no-one any wiser as to should they go there or not. I've read Rick Steeves' travel guides and would find it helpful if Lucie V could explain exactly what it is about his likes and travel style that sets him apart from, say, her (or someone else's) likes and travel style.
Jan 20th, 2007, 10:44 PM

As opposed to a couple of other posters who have stated that they "enjoyed" Civita and that it was "worth the trip", I will say that for me it wasn't a highlight, it wasn't a place I would say, "you have to see this." Since when is it not okay to have a different take on a destination?!

As I understand this forum, one of the goals is to attain points of view about individual experiences. Example: I love Orvieto, but I am well aware of the fact that not everybody who's visited it has loved it, simply because people are different and we all can see & feel the exact same place very differently.

OTOH, two people, both of whom are close friends of mine, did not particularly enjoy Cinqueterre. So, despite its being a place we hadn't yet visited but were curious about, we almost did not go there on our last trip. We ended up falling so in love with the place that we altered our itinerary so we could stay longer.

The point: one person's rave may not be everybody's rave. And one person's "whatever" may be another person's "fantastic."

As far as Rick Steves' travel style ... all I can say is that the lodging and the "hot spots" that he recommends tend not to be the places that I like best. Simple as that! As I very clearly stated, I've got nothing against him or his books, he's just not my guide. My sister loves his recs, & I've run into many travellers who've told me that without his guide, they would never have had the confidence to travel, which is certainly a good thing.
Jan 21st, 2007, 12:37 AM

"Since when is it not OK to have a different take on a destination?"

The answer to that is "since never". Of course it's OK. But then I didn't suggest that it wasn't.

What I did say was, if I were debating whether to go to Civita or not, and RS says one thing and LV says another (which I repeat is perfectly OK), it would be helpful to my decision if I knew what different things RS and LV are looking for. And I'm still, even now, no nearer to knowing that.
Jan 21st, 2007, 07:37 AM

Hi Pati - There is a bus service from Orvieto - but not on Sundays, unfortunately.

If you don't have a car, your best option will be taxi.

Steve
Jan 21st, 2007, 07:51 AM

I visited Civita in later October 2006 and loved it. I had no idea it was a Rick Steves destination until I got there and ran into a pack of Americans with Rick Steves patches on their backpacks and their noses in Rick Steves guidebooks. Oh well. That didn't have any effect one way or the other on my enjoyment of the place. What I did NOT like was the old lady sitting on the stone wall outside her house inviting us to come into her garden to see the view and then, as we left, demanding payment - which I later found out from locals was a well-known ploy. I begrudgingly gave her a few euro, but felt scammed, as the view from her back yard wasn't anything any more special than the views from anywhere else.

I would't spend the night there. For me it was a nice two-hour stop-off but not someplace I'd want to linger. As far as the bridge is concerned I didn't find it the least bit daunting or scary, just a bit of a trudge.
Jan 21st, 2007, 07:52 AM

twoflowers, I have made my point as clear as I am capable. I'm sorry if I've failed. I assume the op will be consulting more than one guidebook, but if not, I am sure s/he'll have a wonderful trip.
Jan 21st, 2007, 08:00 AM

I would agree with StCirq in that I would not want to stay in Civita de B. Once you cross that long bridge (on foot) you don't want to do it again until it's time to leave. It's an interesting place to visit for a couple of hours, which is what I did. I was there in the summer (June) and boy was it HOT that day. There's no escaping the sun when you are on that concrete bridge. Kinda' reminds me of the Great Wall... no shade along the way.
Jan 21st, 2007, 10:14 AM

Hi Patiboo,

I have read some of Rick Steve's guide book and watched a few of his shows. I use them for ideas, not as a bible by any means. I once stayed in a hotel in Rome that I understand is a recommendation of his, but I didn't know it at the time. I was very happy with the hotel.

We did visit Civita di Bagnoreggio as a 1/2 day trip from Orvieto (which we LOVED and stayed in 3 nights). My two friends thanked me over and over for putting Civita on our itinerary and we all 3 found it charming and unique.

The walkway bridge is wide and it is not a hanging bridge. It's on supports and has railings. Nothing scary about it at all, unless you have a "fear of heights." It's a bit of a walk and does get a little steep with stairs at the end going up to the town.

Very cool to look up and see the village floating in the clouds that frequently hang below! Great photo ops!

The village itself is very tiny, only a few residents remaining. It's eroding away (like Orvieto) and there is a preservation society raising money to restore the village and cliffs.

Lots of gorgeous views, flowers, vines. We spent about 1 1/2 hours there and enjoyed a gellato. I would not stay overnight.

Hope this helps!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO