Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Civil marriage on top of a mountin in Europe, is it possible?

Aug 7th, 2001, 06:00 AM
Allison

We would like to get married on top of a mountain during our ski vacation, and from what I've read, you need to get married in a courthouse, civilally. Is there a way to arrange for something else? Or would we be doing something else, but still have to get married in the US?

Aug 7th, 2001, 06:17 AM
Book Chick

Allison,
As long as your marriage is legally recognized by the other country, you will have some papers to prove this. Your marriage will be legally recognized in the U.S.. If you have a particular location in mind, why not contact someone in the town? The local municipal office/mayor's office should be able to help you out & steer you in the right direction. It may cost a little time & money in long-distance calls, but many Europeans speak English fluently & are usually very happy to help, especially for the internationally renowned causes of love & marriage!
Best Wishes,
BC

Aug 7th, 2001, 08:07 AM
Linda

Allison, in Europe, in those countries that require a civil ceremony, many couples opt for two ceremonies. They do the courthouse "bit" to satisfy legal requirements, then have a religious (sometimes pretty non-religious in nature) on another day, usually the day before or day after. As far as I know, all European ceremonies are recognized by the US government. You would not have to get re-married in the States. As I said in my response to your other post, your best bet is to start out talking to the nearest embassy of the country where you want to get married. My late husband and I were married in Scotland (US citizens). There was paperwork that had to be worked out in advance, but it was very workable. And it provided one of the best memories of my life. Persevere--and you'll get there if it's what you want.

Aug 7th, 2001, 08:16 AM
mickey

I've been married several times, and I don't think any one of them was civil.

Aug 7th, 2001, 08:47 AM
Art

This is one area where church and state are more seperated than in the US. I was married in Germany and it had to be a civil ceramony. We were married in a church with family coming over from the US a month later. The marriage documents will be in the local language and will have to be translated, but that is no big deal. Good Luck.
Art

Aug 7th, 2001, 01:52 PM
I'm

... you can have a civil mountin' at the summit, on a ski vacation, if you can find enough seclusion.

And I don't think it matters if you get married in the US, in that country, or ever.

But watch that wind chill factor.

Aug 7th, 2001, 02:50 PM
jhm

Check out the Washington Post's travel archive; it talks about an American woman getting married in southern France. Not sure where you will be in Europe, but you might find some of her work helpful.

Aug 8th, 2001, 04:47 AM
Paige

You might try contacting a hotel, particularly a big resort type place. They may do weddings often and know what's required. I got married in Greece and a local lady that owns a nice hotel there took care of the paperwork for us (and charged us accordingly). Without her or someone like her, it would have been very difficult.