Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   city with best humour??? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/city-with-best-humour-176230/)

tom Aug 16th, 2001 04:13 AM

city with best humour???

Which city have you visited where you found the humour was great? I have been to many cities but found Glasgow & London unique. Glasgow humour had to one of the best! - any thoughts?

Al Godon Aug 16th, 2001 04:40 AM

How can you judge if you cannot speak the language? Or understand the culture? For example, could you realistically compare Munich and Glascow? <BR> <BR>I would have to say that just about any city in Minnesota had the best sense of humor. Just look at what they have for a govenor!!

Sheila Aug 16th, 2001 02:07 PM

Glasgow humour is unique. There have been books written on the subject.. <BR> <BR>It's well known that Germans don't have a sense of humour, Al. And I thought I kept up to speed on current affairs, but just who IS the governor of Minnesota?

JOdy Aug 16th, 2001 02:48 PM

I agree with Al up to a point, we can't understand the humor of a country without understanding the language. having said that , I find the English( and that includes Scots and Welsh, to have the driest , slyest, wittiest, whimsical , wicked sense of humor of ANYONE. Sorry that includes Americans, on whom the subtlities are often wasted.

teehee Aug 16th, 2001 03:03 PM

It's a tie between Pecs, Hungary, and Frederikstad, Norway. Unfortunately, I couldn't understand a word any of the people there were saying, but apparently we're not supposed to let non-comprehension be a factor in this contest. <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR>

KT Aug 16th, 2001 03:11 PM

Jody, if you want to see a Scots or Welsh person lose their sense of humor in a hurry, just try telling them that they're included in the classification "English."

KT Aug 16th, 2001 03:15 PM

Eek! That should have been "Scottish," not "Scots." Looks like I'm testing their sense of humor, myself....

JOdy Aug 16th, 2001 03:19 PM

HI KK, <BR>I know that but I didn't know how to say UKer"s???? <BR>Oh well at least we didn't call them SCOTCH!!!!!!!

KT Aug 16th, 2001 03:25 PM

Well, they're all "British" (the UK includes Britain & N. Ireland), but they're not all necessarily thrilled about that, either. Safest is to say "English, Scottish, and Welsh people," if indeed you do want to view them as all on a par, which in itself could be debatable!

JOdy Aug 16th, 2001 03:35 PM

Maybe we could say "over the ponders"?????? <BR>whatever we call them they ( or should I say You ) do all have a wicked sense of humor and all do understand that we USer's have trouble with the Queen's English. or maybe I should say speech?

Dr. Betty Aug 16th, 2001 03:46 PM

Our Scottish host at the Ardsheal House, a fine and proper highlander decked out in kilt and sporran, happened to be walking by, while his lovely wife was telling us how he had undergone hip surgery while in China several years ago. He patted himself on the right buttock and said, "Yes, I've got 'Made in China' stamped on my left cheek." I loved that place and those people. They made me laugh and they made me cry.

Linda Aug 16th, 2001 04:00 PM

If the amount of laughter in a city is any indication, it has to be Naples, where the inhabitants are overall the happiest I've ever seen. (Not saying they are the happiest, just that their outward appearance is of ones who are very happy with their lives.) But I agree with London, so dry it can be sardonic. Love to laugh in London (or anyplace in the UK, for that matter).

anna Aug 17th, 2001 06:21 AM

Berlin, Germany; but speaking German helps!

carol Aug 17th, 2001 06:31 AM

My hometown--the Big Apple. Ya gotta have a sensa humour to live here!!!!

tina Aug 17th, 2001 11:13 AM

It has to be Glasgow - home to Billy Connelly - The Big Yin..... As yes we are do object to being classified as similar to the English. We are Poles apart - pardon the pun.

lisa Aug 17th, 2001 11:51 AM

Well, I've never been to Ireland, but the people I've met from there have the funniest, darkest sense of humor I've come across.

Joan Doyle Aug 17th, 2001 11:56 AM

I vote for Copenhagen where even the fact that I speak a little Danish was unnecessary for enjoying Danish humor. And the food is terrific too! Joan

ger Aug 17th, 2001 02:12 PM

Lisa: Thanks for mentioning the Irish - dark humour, for sure! My Father used to say that only the Irish and the Russians (he was very fond of Russian literature) share the same "funerial" humour! <BR> <BR>For me, the people with the best sense of humour (from those Islands West of the continent of Europe, with whom I share a commen language (being totally politicaly correct))are the Liverpudlians.