City near Zurich for 1 night stay

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 1st, 2010, 09:43 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

DH and I will be meeting up w/ DD next Friday after arrival to Zurich airport, about 4 hours apart. Heading to Pontresina the next day. Trying for 2 rooms on Priceline in downtown Zurich but no luck so far. Also looked for room(s) in Chur. Any other cities we could spend 1 night with good rail connections?

Need this 1 reservation and then we are booked for our 10 day trip to Switzerland and Italy.

Thanks in advance.
Old Sep 2nd, 2010, 12:09 AM

Try the Oerlikon area (essentially a suburb of Zurich); the S16 train from the airport to Oerlikon will take a few short minutes only (maybe 5?). The trains are precise and easy to use. If you have a lot of luggage, this might be a challenge, of course. But w/one legal rolling carry-on (per Delta) and one backpack each, the trains are quite easy to use; for such a short ride, stay near the doors so removing luggage is easy!

Also, booking directly with the hotel may be easier, and for me, has gotten me better service when I arrive. Rick Steves' advice on booking hotels here is good, check his web site.

Bon Voyage!
Old Sep 2nd, 2010, 11:27 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the reply. Searching the UK version lastminute.com we found the Marriott Renaissance, for about $200 for 3 persons and found similar price on hotel's own web site. It's near the airport, on a tram route so should be convenient.
Old Sep 2nd, 2010, 11:52 AM

Lucerne, one of Europe's most gorgeou cities and sitting on a fantastically gorgeous Alpine lake is but 45 mins or so from Zurich, IME one of the most expensive cities in all of Europe for hotels.

Einselden is a short S-bahn ride from Zurich - famous religious shrine which often IME translates into a wide range of hotel prices.
Old Sep 2nd, 2010, 11:58 AM

Another vote for Lucerne if it's not on your itinerary yet.
Old Sep 2nd, 2010, 12:54 PM

Lucerne would be my choice. We loved Hotel Des Alpes where we had a room with balcony overlooking the river.

But several years ago we spent two nights in Chur where we took the Bernina Express. We stayed at a charming (we thought) little hotel in the city center named Zunfthaus Zur Rebleuten.

http://www.rebleuten.ch/

I think the website is in German, but there is an e-mail address, and our inquiries and booking were all in English.

Have a wonderful trip.

Byrd
Old Sep 2nd, 2010, 01:29 PM

Rapperswil is a charming little place about 30 minutes from Zurich by train. We stayed there a couple of nights several years ago.
Old Sep 2nd, 2010, 04:29 PM

If it is just for the price and practicality, google the words > Kloten hotel < and pick one. Maybe repeat this on Priceline, may or may not be worth doing.

Kloten is the town after which the Zürich airport was and sometimes still is named, the nearest to the airport, and within easy reach of downtown Zürich by the frequently running lightrail S7.

Your hotel will then advise you as to how to get there, it may be a shuttle, or it will be a very short cab ride.

That way you can each freshen up immediately after arrival, then head into Zürich proper.