Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

"City Holiday Home" apartments near Trafalgar Square?

Jan 9th, 2009, 11:06 AM
Original Poster

My husband and I are thinking of renting an apartment near Trafalgar Square for a week. The owner says the street name is York Buildings; it's a side street between the Strand and the Embankment.

http://www.cityholidayhome.com/id10.html

It's on the fourth floor, and is described as quiet, but it's near such a busy area that we worry about noise. Can anyone advise?
Jan 9th, 2009, 11:22 AM

It's a side street that offers no opportunities for through traffic - so little traffic noise here. All the noise is on the Strand and, to a lesser extent, Villiers St; but the streets between, and behind Embankment Gardens, are a little enclave of relative quiet.
Jan 9th, 2009, 11:31 AM
yk

Here's my 2 cents. I once stayed at the LSE dorm which is located on Northumberland Ave, right off Trafalgar Sq. While the road get heavy traffic, my room faces the inside courtyard of the building. Despite the proximty to one of the busiest areas of London, my room was very, very quiet.
Jan 9th, 2009, 12:36 PM

The location is absolutely fine - in the very center of things but on a quiet side street.

But - having looked at the photos of all three flats -- what WERE they thinking? There is basically no furniture - one has a card table for a dining table. It is really too bad they are so bare bones. The rates are moderate (except for high Summer and Christmas) but not cheap . One would think they could put a teensy bit of effort into things.

Very nice location - dreary flats IMO -- depends on what kind of surroundings you are comfortable w/
Jan 9th, 2009, 12:49 PM
twk

The place where I stayed in London in 2007 is a little bit nicer, and, depending on when you are going, might be a little cheaper. It's every bit as well located, being just off St. James Park (and next to the tube station of the same name).

http://www.vrbo.com/47902
Jan 9th, 2009, 12:51 PM
yk

That's exactly what I was thinking too, janis, when I looked at the photos. In fact, that table looks exactly like the one I have - from Ikea - which I bought years ago when I had no $. It did serve as my dining table for about 6 years.

I am also confused as to why there are 2 very different photos labeled "bedroom" when it is a 1-BR apartment. The photo that shows the actual bed, looks like there's barely 3 inches at either side of the bed.

BTW, the apt also looks kind of dark, but perhaps it's the lighting.

Since you mentioned "my husband and I", I assume there's only 2 of you staying at the apartment, which I guess is okay. I cannot imagine how 5 people can possibly stay there.

Oh, just saw twk's post. I like that apt MUCH BETTER.
Jan 9th, 2009, 12:56 PM

But - having looked at the photos of all three flats -- what WERE they thinking? There is basically no furniture - one has a card table for a dining table.>

Why would someone show a picture of a flat they want to rent out with a card table for a dining table? At least they are honest. I am not doubting jj about the card table but just sounds weird to highlight that. (I have learnt not to doubt anything jj says, except perhaps on some train things.)
Jan 9th, 2009, 12:58 PM

Here's a funny thing: a friend of mine and her family stayed in that flat this autumn, and I've been there for dinner.

The pictures don't really do it justice; it was more comfortable than it looks in those photos. (The washing machine stayed broken for the whole month they were there, though.)

It was a very quiet flat, and in such a handy location for siteseeing, but there isn't a grocery store anywhere nearby. For a week or so, that may not matter to you, but for a month, it was kind of a drag for them.

Good luck with your plans.
Jan 9th, 2009, 01:01 PM

Umh the theory of Better than Advertised is really unique in the flat rental business IME
Jan 9th, 2009, 01:07 PM

Well, same here, Pal, but there you go.
Jan 9th, 2009, 01:13 PM
yk

but there isn't a grocery store anywhere nearby

???

There is a Testo Express at 1-4 Charing Cross (corner of Northumberland Ave & Whitehall)

PLUS a M&S Simply Food inside the Charing Cross train station

Granted, these are not near the size of supermarkets we are used to here in the US, but unless they are shopping for food to feed a village, those 2 I listed above should work well enough for the casual tourists who is staying at an apartment.
Jan 9th, 2009, 01:34 PM

Where I stayed, there was a wonderful big Waitrose. My friends, serious cooks, were jealous and said there were no decent gorcery stores near their flat.

Please, disregard my entire previous post. I obviously have no idea what I am talking about.
Jan 9th, 2009, 05:19 PM
yk

That's too bad about your friends. Since they are serious cooks, did they ask the landlord beforehand regarding area grocery stores?

Trafalgar Sq area is not a residential neighborhood, hence you won't find a large supermarket like Waitrose there.

It's like renting an apartment in Time Square and wondering if there's Stop n' Shop around.
Jan 9th, 2009, 08:01 PM

DH and I stayed in one of those flats this past May.(I can't remember if it was #9 or 10)

the location is perfect--between Embankment station and Charing Cross, just a couple of blocks from Trafalgar Square. The Victoria Embankment Gardens were right next to the buildings, and were lovely even though a few days were very chilly.

The bed is positioned so there isn't much room to move on 3 sides, but it was comfortable. The furnishings are definitely Ikea-style, but the kitchen was large and pretty well equipped.

I would not plan on more than a couple staying there, as the sleeping sofas in the living room are not true beds, but are 2 folding pieces--1 chair folds out to make a single, and the love seat
is a little wider, but still only good for 1 person.

While we would have loved a big supermarket, we did fine with the M&S and the Tesco that were not far. The owner lives in one of the flats, and was great for directions and help with the internet. The connections via tube are great--we went to Borough Market one morning and enjoyed breakfast there and brought home some food.

All in all, our visit was great,and the accomodations were quiet, comfortable, and convenient.