City center or on the periphery

May 12th, 2019, 06:09 AM
Original Poster

City center or on the periphery

Hello everyone. This fall we are returning to Italy. This time with grown college age kids in tow. My husband and I have been once, but this will be a first visit for our kids. We’ll be in Rome October 6-10 and I am looking for more budget minded accommodations. If we need to book 2 rooms , I am looking at stating near 200 euro each room. Of course that number would expand if we can book a two bedroom type accommodation somewhere. It is everyone’s preference that we not all share a room as my DH and I snore loudly enough to wake the dead. Having two twins in one of the rooms would also be great.
i have looked at Domus Monami, Tree Charme Trilussa, Relais Le Clarisse, and Buonanotte Garibaldi in Trastevere. Anyone have any information or thoughts on these. I know they are outside the center, but had hoped they were close enough to not add too many miles to our pedometers.
i have also looked at Hotel Navona, Hotel Campo de Fiori ( they have an annex apartment), and Hotel Regno although this is a shared space.
Anyone know anything about any of these accommodations or areas? Is the nightlife in Trastevere a great way to become sleep deprived? I read one review of the area that said it was seedy. Is that your perception? Is it worth the lower preicetag to be slightly outside the center?
Anyway please take a moment to educate me. As always I appreciate your feedback.
May 12th, 2019, 07:07 AM

I'm completely confused.
How many double rooms do you need, how many singles?
What do you want to pay for each of them per night?
Centre? Compared to where?
Seedy: well Travestere is a bit seedy but only a bit. I'd not take a maiden aunt or a vicar there, but for most sensible people it is fine. Is the night life great? No.
Out of interest what is your native language?
May 12th, 2019, 07:38 AM

Trastevere, like many areas of cities, has a variety of neighborhood but it isn't "seedy." It's historically been home to working people so the buildings tend to be more modest than central Rome but it's my neighborhood of choice, a woman of a certain age who tends to travel alone. Seedy? No. Of the places you mention I've stayed in 1, Relais Le Clarisse, loved it. The location is very convenient as it's steps from a tram stop.

You don't mention Airbnb apartments, though you may prefer staying in a serviced accommodation. But I've found apartments in Rome exceptionally reasonably priced. You may want to have a look. You'd have more space than 2 hotel rooms in a 2 bedroom apartment and many of that size are set up for families with twin beds in 1 bedroom. Here are some, filters set for up to $300 a night for 2 bedrooms just to narrow it down: https://www.airbnb.com/s/Rome--Metro...s_tag=TEenSn1J
May 12th, 2019, 08:50 AM

I'm confused, too. You have a huge snoring problem but two twins will be fine? What is it you want to pay for what per night?

It's amusing to me to think of Trastevere as "seedy," but maybe I don't know what your definition of that is. I stay there from time to time when in Rome and I certainly don't suffer from sleep deprivation. I like it better than the "touristy" parts of central Rome. I'm fond of real neighborhoods that have some ordinary neighborhood stuff going on in them from time to time, you know, like arguments about whose laundry is hanging too close to the windows and whose garlic smells too much - if you want to secrete yourself from stuff like that you could head for the more touristy areas.
May 12th, 2019, 11:00 AM
Original Poster

Yes, I am thoroughly confusing. Just ask my husband. I apologize. Let me try to clear things up.
We are a family of 4- dad,mom, 17 year old daughter, 19 year old son.
Ideally we’d book a two bedroom apartment or two separate rooms. My husband and I who still sleep together, despite the cacophony of sounds coming from the two of us, would like a queen or king sized bed. Our young adult children would ideally each have a single. We could, of course, opt for booking a quadruple, but my daughter becomes exceedingly cranky when she hasn’t slept due to the loony tunes symphony taking place in the room.
We would like to keep the budget at no more than 400 euros a night regardless of the arrangements we end up with. I hope this is more clear. I really shouldn’t communicate in any form before coffee in the morning. My apologies.
MmePerdu- Thank you for the link.

Never having been to Trastevere, I have no idea if it’s “seedy” or not, but I do trust the contributors on this forum to be well informed and honest. When we went to Paris, there were areas we considered staying in and were steered away from by people on this forum and it worked out splendidly.
May 13th, 2019, 02:51 AM

You don't need to spend €400 for two separate rooms, maybe if you want three separate rooms you would. Booking.com lists a lot for those dates including the Hotel Floris which is my preferred hotel in Rome which has doubles for €159 including excellent breakfast. It is about halfway between Trevi Fountain and the train station so I consider that central.
May 13th, 2019, 03:06 AM

Trastevere is a very large area. Some parts are charming, some are seedy. Some are very convenient to the center, some are a pain to reach. Some places advertised as such are not even located in Trastevere.

I don't know all of the 1100-some lodgings in Rome, so I have no clue as to the convenience of these lodgings.

No one can offer an informed opinion about Trastevere without knowing the address.
May 13th, 2019, 03:12 AM

If you use www.booking.com to search for lodgings, using the location "Rome city center" instead of just "Rome", you'll eliminate places out in the boondocks. Then you can sort the list by price, and check for places with high guest ratings;or you can sort by guest ratings and look for affordable places. I don't trust guest ratings unless there are about 20 or more ratings.

When you have a short list, read the guest reviews.
May 13th, 2019, 08:12 AM

Cjar, I thought your initial post was quite clear, I was confused about the confusion.
I second (or third) the use of hotel.com and booking.com. It will make the process of finding a hotel room for 4 much easier than it used to be. I can't imagine planning a europe trip w/out the internet.
We made the mistake of staying on the outskirts of a town in one of our european trips, and regretted it immediately. The money you save typically is far outweighed by the cost of transportation to get back into the city, but even more importantly by the time lost in making the trip.
Homeaway.com is also a good option for an apartment, which is probably the best of all worlds. You just need to be aware of the rules and/or risks of renting in a region when it may not be allowed.
May 13th, 2019, 09:42 AM

We liked the Domus Julia, "Located in the historic center of Rome between Trevi Fountain, Spanish Steps, Piazza Barberini and the famous Via Veneto".

Domus Julia is attached to the Hotel Julia, where complimentary breakfast is served. You have a full-service reception desk at the Hotel, which you don't get with many apartment set-ups.

Domus Julia has rooms w/en suite baths, connected by a kitchen/dining room. It could be perfect for you.
http://www.domusjulia.it

Last edited by MoBro; May 13th, 2019 at 10:06 AM.
May 13th, 2019, 10:07 AM

Regarding "seedy" and transport issues, if you stay within walking distance of the river which runs roughly to the north and east of Trastevere, there are buses that run along the northern edge (south bank of the Tiber there) and trams & buses along the main drag, Viale di Trastevere. Relais Le Clarisse is very near "Mastai" tram stop and the area generally to the north of there is a fun, casual, safe & interesting area in which to stay. The 2 booking sites I use (Airbnb & Booking.com) have maps that show the location, or approximate location, of any accommodation you're considering.

Last visits, along with Relais Le Clarisse, I stayed a few days in an apartment in Testaccio, across the river and east of Trastevere. If you see an apartment in Testaccio that appeals to you I'd consider it, I found the location good and the neighborhood interesting, a very "local" experience. Trams run along Via Marmorata, right to the Colosseum & beyond.
May 13th, 2019, 10:56 AM

Wekiva, you must not have seen the VERY long thread here about one person's problems with Homeaway (which is the parent of VBRO). The listing was a fake (said it was in Italy, but the villa was actually in Spain). Even after Homeaway was alerted to the fake listing, they did not remove it for weeks and I don't know if the Fodorite who tried to rent the place ever got a full refund. In any case, Homeaway proved to be completely unreliable and unresponsive.

So use a different agency - AirBnB, or a local agency for rentals.
May 13th, 2019, 05:43 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all so much. I have used MmePerdu’s link to AirBnB and am actually a bit overwhelmed by the number of options for our dates. I am narrowing down those options and then will compare them to a few hotel options I like. I loved that Relais Le Clarisse offers a Smartphone with gps, a nice perk. On our last trip we went phone free, but since we’ll have the teens roaming around, we won’t do that this time. Another option I liked the look of was Domus Monami on via Giacomo Medici 1a, although it seems a bit far away.
I am also looking at
Buonanotte Garibaldi 83 via Giuseppe Garibaldi. Anyone familiar with these areas?
Hotel Campo de Fiori- Via del Biscione 6 - 00186
We have actually used Homeaway here in the states and stayed in some nice places and some that just photograph well. It makes me a little leery of using homes , but all of the properties I viewed on AirBnB seemed to have management companies or groups. Anyway thanks again for the recommendations and guidance. I will look at all of the suggestions. I always find the people here to be so giving of their time and knowledge.
May 13th, 2019, 06:51 PM

Cjar, it's possible to whittle the number of possibilities on the Airbnb list down by adding to the filters, found at the top of the page. For instance, though I put in 2 bedrooms you could add 3 beds for your preferred 1 large + 2 singles. You might try for 2 bathrooms. Look at the rest of the filters and use any you might like to reduce the numbers further. There are so many in your price range you might be able to get very specific about the amenities you'd like. And if you decide on 1 area you'd like to be, you can zoom in with the map to that area to exclude neighborhoods that interest you less. It will only show the possibilities that are included in the area of the map you can see.
May 13th, 2019, 09:20 PM

Cjar, I too have successfully used Homeaway/VRBO over many years in both the US and Europe. But as Kathie says there’s a loooong thread with a truly horror story which makes one wonder. I will soon start looking for vacation rentals for our trip next May and am debating the pros and cons of VRBO who have been my go-to agency... I think the key is to be wary of places which sound too good to be true, also make sure there are reviews.

Booking.com is also an excellent tool, though the number of apartments that show up are of course much less than on VRBO or Airbnb.

Last edited by geetika; May 13th, 2019 at 09:22 PM.
May 14th, 2019, 04:00 AM

I used to use sites like Homeaway when I wanted an apartment, but now I always use booking.com to find apartments. I just checked for a random date in July, and found 298 available apartments in "Rome city center", for four guests, and using the filter "guest rating 8 and above". Some other sites might have more, but I think that beyond 100 or so, any other possibilities are superfluous.
May 14th, 2019, 04:03 AM

Another advantage of staying centrally is that you can conveniently drop off purchases, or change clothes, take a nap, or pick up something you forgot.
May 14th, 2019, 04:38 AM

Originally Posted by bvlenci View Post
I used to use sites like Homeaway when I wanted an apartment, but now I always use booking.com to find apartments. I just checked for a random date in July, and found 298 available apartments in "Rome city center", for four guests, and using the filter "guest rating 8 and above". Some other sites might have more, but I think that beyond 100 or so, any other possibilities are superfluous.
Thanks bvlenci, I’ve mostly used booking.com for hotels, this opens up a reliable vendor, will keep this in mind going forward.
May 14th, 2019, 05:28 AM

You should be able to find hotel rooms or an apartment in central Rome with the budget you've indicated.

About 10 years ago we rented an apartment in the Jewish ghetto neighborhood and found that to be a great location. It is easy to walk to the forum, Piazza Navona, Piazza della Rotunda(Pantheon), the Campo dei Fiori and across a pedestrian bridge to Trastevere. It is an interesting neighborhood with lots of good restaurants serving traditional dishes and I'd recommend walking through it.
(Our rental was in the era before airbnb, and we rented through an agency called RealRome that is still in business. The apartments it offers are inexpensive and we had a very good experience with this agency)
I think a lot of the apartments you will see have doubles rather than queen or king beds so this may be a limiting factor for you.
May 14th, 2019, 03:24 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone. I also tend to agree that staying central is nice for a midday rest, dropping purchases, changing before dinner, etc. I have found several at a good price near Trevi Fountain, Pantheon, and Campo de Fiori. I also found one across the Tiber near the Vatican that looked lovely, but am really leaning towards the other areas now. We probably won’t spend a lot of time at the Vatican or St. Peter’s , so I’m thinking that might not be the smartest choice.As I recall and I’m fuzzy, lodging near the colosseum is also a little out of the way for everything but the colosseum. Am I remembering that correctly? Hard to tell on the map. It’s kind of like finding the miles between 2 places. Sometimes it takes longer to go 10 miles than others.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO