Citta Della Pieve in Umbria

Jun 9th, 2009, 05:30 AM
Original Poster

Citta Della Pieve in Umbria

Has anyone stayed in Citta Della Pieve in Umbria? Curious what your impressions were and whether you thought it was a good base to explore Umbria and Tuscany. Even if you have only visited the town, I would love to hear your thoughts.
Jun 9th, 2009, 06:43 AM

I haven't stayed there but did visit Citta della Pieve a couple of years while staying near Lake Trasimeno. It's a nice town, but you can see it and all its important sights in half a day. Although it appears very centrally located in Umbria as you look at a map, working against it as a base is the fact that it sits atop a steep hill with confusing one-way roads accessing it. We stayed at Villa Monte Solare near Colle S. Paolo and loved it.
Jun 9th, 2009, 08:31 AM

Do you have any particular places you are planning to explore in Umbria and Tuscany? Both are very large regions and you will be somewhat limited on where you can visit from a base in Citta della Pieve.

I have visited the town twice on my way from my one week stay in Umbria (near Bavagna) to my one week stay in southern Tuscany (near Pienza). It is a lovely town (lots of locals, few tourists and a nice Saturday market) but not very central for exploring Umbria and Tuscany. I feel it is best to split your stays between a locations in Umbria and Tuscany But, if you want only one base, Citta della Pieve is not a bad choice- just limiting on where you can visit on day trips. East of town there is beautiful countryside and a good amount of agriturismos. If you are not staying in town, look for an agriturismo east of town.

I have found the area near Bavagna to be a great central base for exploring Umbria. The Val d'Orcia the best area for southern Tuscany.
Jun 9th, 2009, 01:59 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies. We are travelling with our two children (6 and 3) and my parents (Who have never been to Italy). My wife and I have been to Italy three times and to Tuscany before (Siena, Lucca and Florence), but have never visited Umbria. We're trying to balance a little of everything, relaxation at a villa and some day-tripping to various towns in Tuscany and Umbria, hence the border location. In Umbria, we were hoping to at least see Orvieto, Perugia, Spello and Assisi. Only Asssi seems far from Citta Della Pieve. In Tuscany, we would love to go back to Siena and Florence, see Montepulciano, and Cortona. I wanted a location close to the A1 autostrada and found a villa on the outskirts of Citta della Pieve that looks quite nice. If, as Grinisa suggests, getting in and out of Citta della Pieve is difficult, then it might not be the right spot.
Jun 9th, 2009, 02:04 PM

If your villa isn't in CdP, but rather on the outskirts, it might work as base because you won't need to deal with getting in and out of the town.
Jun 9th, 2009, 03:32 PM

I think it's a good choice. I've been there several times. It's a nice town, compact but large enough to have some bustle and a lot of options for cafés and shops and so forth. I agree navigating into and out of it is a bit tricky, but I got the hang of it pretty quickly. I was staying nearby outside Paciano (which is a darling little place). Panicale is also delightful. And in summer there's lots to do in and around Lago di Trasimeno - your kids will love it.