Cinqueterra and Tuscany or Amalfi Coast

Old Jan 16th, 2002, 03:23 PM
grant

Cinqueterra and Tuscany or Amalfi Coast

I am narrowing a vacation search at this time. If I choose Italy it will include Rome but from there I would like helpful hints. Would you return to Tuscany and Cinqueterra or the Amalfi Coast. Never been to either and would appreciate your thoughts. I don't believe I have enough time to go to both on a seven day trip. I realize either option will be incredible but it is so hard to decide.

Old Jan 16th, 2002, 03:34 PM
Grasshopper

Grant,

Now I see this post in addition to your Rome vs. Athens one. Here's what I'd do it I were you. Go to Rome and take a trip to Pompeii (for the antiquities - the best part of Athens!) and then take a trip down the Amalfi Coast. You could even take an overnight trip doing Pompeii, proceeding on to Sorrento and then taking a quick bus ride down to Amalfi. It would be a rush but you'd get a nice sample of what's to see so you'll want to return again.

I will probably be lambasted for saying so but I think Cinque Terre is highly overrated. It's pretty but it's overrun with Americans (toting Rick Steves tour books). And unless you have time to take the hikes from town to towns it's just not worth the time. If all you have is 7 days I wouldn't leave Rome for more than 2 or 3.

Old Jan 16th, 2002, 04:08 PM
grant

Thanks for the information. I have been leaning toward the route you mentioned but have struggled between Athens and Santorini, Rome and Tuscany, or Rome and the Amalfi. I know there is much to see and do in Rome but to be honest I am not a big city person. Therefore I wanted to see the must-see sights of Rome and head out to something relaxing for about three days. Thas is why I will either do Rome or Athens and then park it for a relaxing time in either Santorini, Positano, or Seina. The comments are appreciated. Pompeii is a big draw.

Old Jan 16th, 2002, 04:18 PM
Grasshopper

I recommend the Hotel Aminta in Sorrento. You will get EXACTLY the experience you are looking for. And they can arrange a tour of the Amalfi coast for you. Visit www.aminta.it You will have an incredible view from your balcony.

Given your criteria I would say 3-4 days in Rome an the remainder of your stay in Sorrento.

Old Jan 16th, 2002, 04:22 PM
Capo

Grant, Grasshopper is very wise indeed.

Although I loved Vernazza (one of the five Cinqueterre villages) when I was there in 1987; I'd also recommend heading south from Rome, to Pompeii and the Sorrentine Peninsula.

Old Jan 16th, 2002, 04:26 PM
Kay

All are wonderful, but I would choose Positano and Ravello 1st, Tuscany 2nd, and the CT third. I am not particularly a city person but Rome is my favorite city in Italy - so much to see! Positano and Ravello are very dramatic, beautiful and relaxing. Tuscany is also quietly beautiful and relaxing and you can visit various lovely hill towns. CT is charming, but I prefer the other two first.

Old Jan 16th, 2002, 04:32 PM
grant

Thanks for the input. I viewd the site for the Sorrento Hotel and it looked incredible. I have to email for rates but it appeared out of my budget range.
I take it the recommendation is to base in Sorrento and day trip to Pompeii and the coast? Kay - do you know of a hotel with parking in Positano? Grasshopper - would you just take the train to Sorrento then, even with luggage?

Old Jan 16th, 2002, 04:47 PM
Grasshopper

Grant, I haven't stayed at the Aminta in a year and a half but it was only about $120 a night (includes breakfast). We took the train from Rome to Naples then the Circumvesuvius (local train) to Sorrento. No problem with luggage. Then take a taxi to the hotel. Gianfranco Acampora is the manager and he is very good at accommodating you.

Old Jan 16th, 2002, 06:50 PM
Dayle

Grant - echo the comments above! I liked the Cinque Terre, but also think it's a little overrated. Definitely visit Pompeii - facinating. We were there for only 2 1/2 hours & could have easily spent double that. Do a search, there have been many threads about taking the Circumvesuviana (local train) to Pompeii Scavi station. Regarding Rome - go with an open mind! my first trip to Italy I though Rome was just a big crowded dirty city & I didn't care if I saw any of it. Surprise! I LOVED ROMA! Can't wait to go back and spend a whole week. There is so much of everything there it's mind boggeling. Buon viaggio!

Old Jan 16th, 2002, 08:03 PM
Kay

Grant, I have never used a car in Positano. I know the Sirenuse has parking, but it has become very expensive. I think I will check out that hotel in Sorrento!

Old Jan 17th, 2002, 01:23 AM
wayne

Cinque Terre is like a backpacker's Amalfi.The terrain is the same. I would visit Amalfi first, Tuscany then Cinque Terre.

Old Jan 17th, 2002, 03:40 AM
Mike Miller

Grant, in Oct we stayed in Sorrento and loved it. Visited both Pompeii and Herculaneum. My choice of the two was Herculaneum. It's better preserved and much smaller. You can thoroughly tour the whole site in about 3.5 hours. Pompeii will take you all day. You can access both of these sites on the Circumvesuvina (sp) train from the Sorrento train station. We stayed at the Hotel Il Nido which is far above Sorrento. Great rates with a great view and most importantly for us, it was very quiet. You will not find quiet at some of the hotels on the coast.

Old Jan 17th, 2002, 01:03 PM
Grasshopper

Grant, If budget is important... check out the recent post on Massa Lubrense. It has some places to stay that are very affordable.