Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Cinque Terre vs. Parma: Where would you spend three days, where just two?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 18th, 2010, 09:15 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Again thanks for all the response so far for our trip this summer. The latest plan is that we are meeting friends in CT toward the end of our trip. We originally thought we were going to be able to spend three days in CT and three days in the Parma area. Our friends' plans changed and now we only have five days to split. What would you do?

Three days in CT and two days in Parma?
or
Two days in CT and three days in Parma?

One couple is leaning one way and the other couple the other way.

Help! We need your opinions.
Old Jan 18th, 2010, 11:00 PM

It looks like from your other posting that your interest in Parma is culinary such as Culatello. It looks like the production time frame for the ham is Oct-Feb according to http://www.consorziodelculatellodizi...consorzio.html says:

Il Consorzio ha stabilito che la lavorazione deve avvenire solo ed esclusivamente nel periodo tra ottobre e febbraio, quando la Bassa è avvolta dalla nebbia e dal freddo.

What other interests you have for allocating time in Parma?
Old Jan 18th, 2010, 11:26 PM

Parma is a wonderful, vibrant town, where the other tourists are almost invisible, but there's not much to see there. You could of course spend three days just enjoying the food if that's your priority. Parma seems huge by comparison to the tiny villages of the Cinque Terre, an area with incredible views but mobs of English-speaking tourists nowadays. They are very different places.

On two different trips, I spent three nights in the CT but only one night in Parma. My three nights in the CT was just enough (primary purpose was taking pictures). I would have enjoyed an second night there just to try a few more restaurants and enjoy another day mostly free of tourists in Italy. I do hope to get back to both places again...
Old Jan 19th, 2010, 01:04 AM

I would definitely spend three days in CT and two in Parma. If you want to walk the Via dell'Amore (http://www.visitingeu.com/western-eu...que-terre.html), you'll need a day, and then you will want a couple more days to explore the towns and do some hiking or sunbathing.
Old Jan 19th, 2010, 04:40 AM

LOL-I'd do 3 in Parma and 2 in CT! May I assume you have read about both places. It really boils down to what "calls out" to you.

Also, if you wish to be on the water, CT would take the 3.
Old Jan 19th, 2010, 05:05 AM

"BUT THERE"S NOT MUCH TO SEE" in Parma??????????

Excuse me, but...

?????????????

Andrew, to his credit, has posted candidly many times about how much enjoyed his one day in le Cinque Terre as opposed to cultural and historic sightseeing in Italy's great art cities. But Parma has a mutli-layered history, going back all the way to pre-Christian times, still visible in its bapistery, and heading right up through Napoleon and Stendahl. It has violets, theater, parks, great religious art and architecture, perfume, fashion and a robust contemporary commercial culture -- all in a very compact, beautiful, pedestrianized space -- and if you have a car, there are castles (some of Italy's best) just a stone's throw from town.

Have you guessed yet -- I LIVE on the Riviera and I love visiting Parma with all its fascinations.

I'm not as fond of le Cinque Terre as others as a place to hang around. While pretty, it is mobbed with non-Italians. I prefer spending my time elsewhere on the Riviera, even hiking with greater solitude around the Monte Portofino. But since you want to meet friends there, have a great time! The Riviera is beautiful there. But if you get bored of hiking (or it's too hot or rainy) about the only nearby diversion is the pretty town of Chiavari. But contrast, based in Parma -- should you come to the conclusion there is not much to see there -- you can go to Modena, Bologna, head in the direction of Pontremoli (fascinating little place).

By the way, Parma ham is a cured meat, so unless you want to see a pig slaughtered, you can enjoy the local product any time of year.
Old Jan 19th, 2010, 05:24 AM
Original Poster

I want real culatello. Where is it produced in the region? I had it once at Gallopapa in Castelinna and then at Eataly in Torino. hooked for life. Anyone on the ground know where the culatello is the best?
Old Jan 19th, 2010, 06:19 AM

If I had to choose between those 2 options, I'd spend 3 in Parma and 2 on the CT. The CT is very scenic, but there isn't that much of interest beyond the scenery--that is in terms of historic sights, museums, art, activities other than hiking, etc.

If you are looking to chill out and relax, the CT is fine (but I don't know about spending all that time and money to go all the way to Italy to chill out and relax--there are a lot of scenic places much closer to home to do that at much less of a time and monetary cost).
Old Jan 19th, 2010, 09:14 AM

stepsbeyond: <i>Andrew, to his credit, has posted candidly many times about how much enjoyed his one day in le Cinque Terre as opposed to cultural and historic sightseeing in Italy's great art cities.</i>

Thanks, I appreciate so much how you were able to disagree with me and express your own opinion without criticizing me or making me look like a cultural neanderthal!
Old Jan 19th, 2010, 10:21 AM

Jim,

My understanding is that culatello is produced in and around Zibello. I have read many good things about Trattoria La Buca in Zibello: http://www.trattorialabuca.com/english/start.htm
Old Jan 19th, 2010, 11:07 AM
Original Poster

Nolenomad,

This is EXACTLY what I was looking for. I can hardly wait to try this place. Culatello, baby!
Old Jan 19th, 2010, 11:45 AM

3 days vs. 2 days should really depend on what you're doing before and after those points, and whether days means nights as well - as in, 3 nights and 2 nights.

For example, if you were arriving in Parma from Venice, and planned to spend the day in Venice, and take a late train into Parma, then 3 nights in Parms would be only 2 full days and your departure day. And the same for the Cinque Terre, of course.
Old Jan 19th, 2010, 01:25 PM

I'd opt for 3 days in Parma, it's a lovely city -- lots to see and do, although that does depend on your tastes! Interesting churches and museums, a beautiful park, and of course, the food is great. I also found it relatively inexpensive and not crammed with tourists.

As a preview and a fun read, John Grisham's novel (not a mystery/suspense novel for once) Playing for Pizza is set in Parma. He seemed to love the place!http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Playing_for_Pizza

You may also have seen the really long piece a month ago in the New York Times travel section on Parma. Some good info there. http://travel.nytimes.com/2009/12/27...q=Parma&st=cse
Old Jan 19th, 2010, 05:00 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Ditto Lexma90's post at 12:45 pm.

However you allocate the nights, you can "massage" the days into a 50/50 situation that could satisfy both couples.