Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Cinque Terre/Tuscany Travel Assistance Needed

Apr 26th, 2012, 01:28 PM
Original Poster

Hello, this summer my girlfriend and I will be visiting France and Italy for about two weeks, though we will be in the latter for about 5 days. We are meeting friends in Venice and renting a car and hoped to see Cinque Terre and a bit of Tuscany before heading to Rome. I'll acknowledge up front that this is a tight schedule and in a perfect world we'd love to spend multiple days and see many more things, but that is going to have wait until next time. My question is what is the best strategy to see Cinque Terre and some parts of Tuscany in about two full days. Here's the only definite plans so far:

- Leave Venice by car the morning of July 1st and head southwest;
- Get into Rome the afternoon/evening of July 3rd.

The issue is where to stay and how to tackle the in-between. One thought I had was to stay somewhere within day-trip distance of cinque terre, say Lucca, and make a day trip of it on the 2nd. That way we get the part of the first day/evenings in the country and can still hit cinque terre. Are there better towns/areas/accommodations to consider? One thing to note is we'd prefer to stay in a secluded B&B/Villa than a busy-ish downtown.

Another option thrown around is to stay around Porto Venere and cover Tuscany on the way down to Rome.

Any other thoughts or suggestions would be much appreciated.

Thanks!
Apr 26th, 2012, 01:59 PM

Skip the CT and spend 2 nites in Tuscany.
Look at this lovely B&B.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Rev...a_Tuscany.html
Apr 26th, 2012, 07:09 PM
Original Poster

Thanks. But we'd really like to try to do both.
Apr 26th, 2012, 08:02 PM

Are you a truck driver by chance? This itinerary sounds like our honeymoon many years ago, we drove through yosemite park in the dark. I know the road was long and winding, but didn't see a thing!
Apr 27th, 2012, 07:34 AM

Less is more !
Apr 27th, 2012, 10:51 AM

I'm with the others, but if you can't be dissuaded ....

Rent the car the day before (June 30) so that you can get a very early start. And I mean early, like 5-6 a.m. The drive from Venice to somewhere on the CT will be upwards of 5 hours.

The next day, leave early again and head to southern Tuscany (the area of Montepulciano, Pienza, San Quirico, Montalcino). The drive from the CT will be 3.5-4 hours.

On the third morning, leave early again, make your way to Orvieto and drop the car. (Make sure you know the open hours of the rental agency office.) Then, explore Orvieto for a few hours before catching a train to Rome. The drive would take about an hour and the train another hour.

Make sure you have good road maps and/or GPS and an International Driver's Permit.
Apr 27th, 2012, 11:38 AM

You actually have one full day and several hours on 2 others. Yuo don;t have time to do CT and Tuscany - pick one and see a small part.