Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   cinque terre train to pisa (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/cinque-terre-train-to-pisa-673411/)

caroltis Jan 24th, 2007 01:50 PM

cinque terre train to pisa

I am planning on taking train from Vernazza to Pisa. I forgot where but someplace in a travel forum i read that you should purchase a more long range ticket before you get to Cinque Terre because you can't buy it at one of the 5 village stations. Anyone know if that is true?

teacher33 Jan 24th, 2007 05:14 PM

My sister, BIL and I stayed in Vernazza for a week and were able to buy tickets at the train station there. We took a day trip to Pisa and bought our ticket at the train station. We had to change in La Spezia but the connection was quick and easy (same ticket). When we got into Pisa, the sky was spilling so we took a taxi to the cathedral, tower, etc. We asked our taxi driver for a recommendation of a good restaurant where locals go to eat and he wrote it out for us. It was still spilling after our time at the tower, etc. so we got another taxi to the address. He drove as far as he could and then sent us down this narrow street. The restaurant was full of Italians. Afterwards the rain had let up somewhat and someone drew a map of the route back to the train station--a pleasant stroll along the river.

It was at this restaurant that my sister had an adventure. After we had ordered, she decided to visit the toilet. Suddenly her husband and I saw flashing lights and heard an alarm going off and all the help was running toward the ladies' room. Very shortly my sister appeared as near redfaced as she ever gets. (She has a lot of cool and can smile her way through most situations that would have mere mortals like me falling through the floor.) She said she had got into the place and locked the door. She had just about got down to business when the light went out. She felt around for a switch and felt a cord. Thinking it might be a light pull, she pulled on it. However, it was the "Help me, I've fallen and can't get up alarm." The next she knew, they were banging on the door and shouting in Italian something to the effect of "are you ok?"

Anyway, to make a long story short, yes, you can buy tickets at the Vernazza station.

caroltis Feb 9th, 2007 05:02 PM

That is hysterical! What a fun addition to travel scrapbook. Thanks too for the info.

caroltis Feb 14th, 2007 11:38 AM

"teacher33" I saw on another post that you were in CT in April which is when we are going. Tell me about the weather...we try to travel with only one 22" roller so I'm interested in knowing how prepared i need to be whether it is cool or warm. Can you help?

teacher33 Feb 14th, 2007 06:43 PM

I think the daytime temps were in the low 60's, a bit cooler in the morning. When I went out for my early walk (6ish) I put a light sweater under my jacket. This would have been the first two weeks of April. We started out on the trails with heavy sweaters over shortsleeved tops and shed the sweaters by midday. I saw people in shorts, but was very comfortable in lightweight slacks. The day we went to Pisa was spilling rain and we all had sweaters under light jackets and then plastic ponchoes over. We slept with the window open and I was glad of my flannel nightgown at night. Everything I brought fit in a 21 incher. And that included clothes for farther north in the Dolomites where it was chillier. Altogether we were gone a month. I know that weather can be a crapshoot, but I would think if you brought lightweight stuff to layer with one heavier sweater or sweatshirt, you would be fine.

caroltis Feb 16th, 2007 07:26 AM

Thanks teacher, pretty much what i was thinking. Layering is almost always the answer isn't it? Again, appreciate the advice. carol

martina73 Feb 16th, 2007 09:20 AM

ciao caroltis...
i live at vernazza! from vernazza you can buy ticket until 250 km.(anyway you can buy ticket until pisa.(ABAUT 80KM)
in the 5terre you can't supplement train I.C. (you buy supplement at la spezia.c.
Only Monterosso station you can buy ticket for trainS I.C.
ciao da www.roomartina.com

caroltis Feb 16th, 2007 02:06 PM

Martina you are certainly a blessed lady to be able to live in one of the loveliest places on God's earth. Mille grazie!

caroltis Feb 16th, 2007 02:12 PM

Martina, you might know the answer to my question...we are going to be leaving Vernazza to go to Pisa on April 28th which I believe is your Labor Day celebration weekend. Should we buy our train tickets before we leave the United States or do you think we will be able to wait until we arrive in Vernazza on April 25?

martina73 Feb 17th, 2007 11:07 AM

ciao carolis

you buy ticket for train for pisa C.when you are at vernazza!!!
on day 28 april you buy the ticket for pisa C.at vernazza!
schedule train from vernazza to pisa C.
9,34VERNAZZA----->PISA C.10,30 ABAUT
This train is direct for Livorno and you no change train at la spezia c.
Whit this train no buy ticket supplement .i.c...
(the ticket for trains in italya on day saturday and sunday are few expensive.)

all ok??
if you have questions write me:-)
arrivederci
martina