Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Cinque Terre / Positano (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/cinque-terre-positano-383519/)

Adrian45 Jun 23rd, 2008 05:22 AM

Cinque Terre / Positano

We was this May in Cinque Terre and we love the views there!
I never was at Positano, but yesterday I watched at TV a movie from 2003 "Under Tuscan sun". I saw there very beautiful images and I was sure that there are from Cinque Terre, but they were from Positano.

Can somebody tell me if really Positano is similar with Monteroso for instance, or, in your opininion which of them is more beautiful?

yipper Jun 23rd, 2008 06:17 AM

Hi,
Indeed both are wonderful. I think that the Amalfi coast (Positano) is more upscale in hotel accomodations and shops. The views from both are fabulous. On the amalfi coast the hiking trails are way above the towns and the sea. On the CT you are much clser to the sea when hiking. You can not go wrong with either place.

happytrailstoyou Jun 23rd, 2008 06:36 AM

Both are beautiful, but they are two different places with two different settings.

While we were in Monterosso in May, we took the train to Santa Margherita. From there we took a ferry to Positano--a wonderful way to approach the town. We took the local bus back to Santa Margherita.

I recommend this little side trip.

Micheline Jun 23rd, 2008 06:43 AM

They are both wonderful but I think Positano is the most beautiful.

happytrailstoyou Jun 23rd, 2008 06:49 AM

Absolutely, Micheline.

Positano has a far more beautiful harbor than Monterosso and it doesn't have a train running through town.

Monterosso is more of a working town. I love it in the morning when the shops are getting ready for the tour groups which haven't yet overwhelmed the place.

Mimar Jun 23rd, 2008 07:01 AM

Happytrailstoyou, I think you wrote Positano when you meant Portofino. To the OP, you can't take a ferry from Santa Margherita Ligure to Positano or a local bus back.

Within reach of the Amalfi Coast are Capri, Pompeii and Herculaneum as well as Naples and Sorrento. So I think there's a little more to see near the Amalfi Coast.

And I think the Amalfi coast is a little denser than the CT.

Both are very beautiful. Ain't Italy great!

crazyfortravel Jun 23rd, 2008 07:17 AM

Both are beautiful. I've been to Amalphi twice and CT once...prior to the big tourist boom. I would say the CT is beautiful in a more rustic way and I enjoyed so much the hike from town to town.

We stayed in Vernazza and enjoyed the early morning when the fisherman were unloading their catch..also sunset at the little cantina outside of town perched high above the village. That view the rugged coast and the town spilling down the hillside with the setting sun is etched in my memory forever.

Positano has gorgeous views and I just love the town of Ravello as well...talk about views!! I didn't feel the same tranquility in Positano as I felt in the CT though. Not sure if I would feel the same way now or not. I choose to remember CT as it once was..unspoiled.

happytrailstoyou Jun 23rd, 2008 09:36 AM

Mimar, you are so right.

I associated Monterosso with Portifino not far away Positano.

I find less comparison between Monterosso and Positano than between Monterosso and Portifino.

Adrian45 Jun 23rd, 2008 10:39 AM

Thanks for answers. Unfortunately I can not visit this year Positano to make comparison with CT, as we just returned from our vacation in Italy and we can not have another vacation this year.
Any case, we included Positano in our plans for one of the next vacations.
Italy is so beautiful and has so many to offer!