Cinque Terre OR Pisa and Florence

Aug 17th, 2012, 05:34 PM
Original Poster

Cinque Terre OR Pisa and Florence

I have only one question, if you only have one day in the area (cruise ship) would you see the sites of Pisa and Florence or take a Cinque Terre tour. I live in a costal provence of Canada, but love photography and my wife likes to do a little shopping or relax in a coffee shop... neither of us are big history people.
Aug 17th, 2012, 05:36 PM

Where does the cruise ship land?
Aug 17th, 2012, 05:45 PM
Original Poster

the ship docs at Livorno.
Aug 17th, 2012, 05:47 PM

What time of year?
Aug 17th, 2012, 05:53 PM

I think this is one of those unanswerable questions, too subjective and dependent on personal taste to know which you'll prefer.

I would say the Cinque Terre without hesitation. But then you should know that I love small towns, like cities less in general and Florence in particular (I know, blasphemy). I've never gotten off the train in Pisa.

I think for a photographer the answer is the same. The Cinque Terre is very photogenic.
Aug 17th, 2012, 05:58 PM

this is apples and oranges.

CT is a series of very small towns on the coast with hiking trails in between.

Florence is one of the art capitols of the world, has an incredible amount of history and is a gorgeous city.

Which do you want?
Aug 17th, 2012, 06:03 PM
Original Poster

We wil be there Oct 11 from 8am till 7pm. the cruise ship offers tours to both areas at comparable prices to what i can find on the net.

I do understand that this question in personality/intrest dependant, but I hoe that hearing what people liked and didn't like in each area will help us decide. Thank you, MmePerdu, your insites and opinion is helpful.
Aug 17th, 2012, 06:44 PM

I prefer Cinque Terre, but I have been to all three places many times. If your wife wants to shop, Florence will be better. There is a large street market there. But if you want gorgeous views, go to Cinque Terre. There are small shops in the villages and cafes right on the water at Vernazza. I love to approach the villages by boat, absolutely beautiful!
Aug 18th, 2012, 07:19 AM

CT or Firenze...you would be very disapointed in Pisa,that would be off my short list , IMO
Aug 18th, 2012, 02:49 PM

If you are going to be with a tour group (even a small one) you are not going to have too much free time. I would recommend CT, especially if one of the stops will be in Vernazza and you have any free time, leave the wife shopping or enjoying the scenary from the waterfront cafes while you take a short hike along the steep hiking trail towards Monterosso al Mare. There are some beautiful shots looking back at Vernazza, along the coast and the vinyards along the trail (even on a short hike). Of course its hard to go wrong with Florence, but you probably wont have time get to the two most photographic spots and that would be the top of either the Duomo or its bell tower and or the Piazzale Michelangelo. Either way have a great vacation.
Aug 18th, 2012, 03:00 PM

Well - I wouldn't have this problem since I would never be doing a cruise. I prefer to see europe rather than sitting on a boat.

However, given the choice I would make my own trip just to Florence - not waste time going to Pisa - to have more time there. It's a beautiful city with a huge number of art treasures and IMHO about 10 times as interesting as CT - but then I'm not hiking anywhere - nor am I interested in shopping (why do some men always think women should be relegated to shopping?)
Aug 18th, 2012, 03:18 PM

We absolutely loved CT. We stayed in Vernazza and a very short hike outside the town to the Northeast on the trail is a winebar with the most beautiful view of the town spilling out into the ocean. After walking the trail, we lingered and watched the sun go down there. Our favorite memory of our trip. Even in the light of day, it's a wonderful spot to spend some time. I'm not sure how much of the trail you will hike but each of the town's are a little different and have their own personality. We found the area to be charming and authenic. The pesto is to die for...I still dream about it.

We are not big fans of Florence or Pisa (personal preference)...not to say that there aren't great things to see...the Duomo & Baptistery, The Accademia and David, The Leaning Tower in Pisa...countless churches. We preferred the Bargello to the Uffizi although the latter is more famous and has some wonderful paintings. If history and art are not your thing, than Florence may not appeal to you. There is some great shopping in Florence compared to CT. Our food experience was good in Florence as well. We stayed for 2 nights and had some very good meals while there.

If I had to choose one for beauty alone (for photo opportunities), CT would win hands down.
Aug 18th, 2012, 04:34 PM

If you have only one day, first see how long your travel will be from Livorno to the 3 places you mention. I believe that Pisa's very touristy Leaning Tower and gorgeous Duomo might be the thing to see.

If you could get an appointment in advance, a run to David in Florence and then its duomo. Florence and Pisa are easy train trips from Livorno. Good shopping in Flo.

Cinque Terre would be for a leisurely exploration amongst the 5 towns on another trip.

Livorno itself might have some places of interest as well.

Just one person's opinion. Do some reading and decide what calls out to you.
Aug 18th, 2012, 06:33 PM

The trains from Livorno to Florence stop in Pisa (Pisa is only 15 minutes from Livorno). If you want to do both of those, I would go to Florence first and stop in Pisa on the way back if you have time. The tower is a bit of a distance from Pisa Centrale,but there are buses in front of the station. You could also take a taxi to the tower.
Aug 18th, 2012, 06:36 PM

ky, because we based there I never took it, but I think there was a station close to the Tower. Anyone know?
Aug 19th, 2012, 05:26 AM

Personally, I'd choose Pisa and Florence over CT, because I have been to many beautiful coastal towns but there is only one Field of Miracles and there is only one Florence.
Pisa's Field of Miracles is a very pretty sight. I spent about one hour there and was happy that I finally saw it.
Aug 19th, 2012, 07:09 AM

>>>ky, because we based there I never took it, but I think there was a station close to the Tower. Anyone know?<<<

Yes there is a station closer, but it's not on the line you would take between Livorno and Florence so it wouldn't be a stop on this particular route. It's easier to take the shuttle bus out front of Pisa Centrale (about 1€)to the tower (drops you right beside it) than to change trains at Centrale to station Pisa S. Rossore (1.40€)and then walk (a couple of blocks).

FYI - Most of these trains are R trains. You must validate your ticket in the yellow machine before boarding or you can be fined.