Cinque Terre in 1 day?

Aug 4th, 2017, 05:25 PM
Original Poster

Cinque Terre in 1 day?

Hello!

I will be visiting Cinque Terre at the end of August with my friends and was wondering what is best way to see it all in one day? We're short on time and staying in La Spezia right outside. Would it make more sense to start in Riomaggiore or Monterrosso? We were thinking a combination of hiking and taking trains between each town.
Aug 4th, 2017, 06:35 PM

I would hike in the morning before it gets too hot. It's going to be crowded anyway - you're visiting at high season. Decide how much hiking you want to do - and then start in Monterosso, Vernazza, or Corniglia and hike to one town, perhaps to the next. The "main" trails between Riomaggiore, Manarola, and Corniglia are closed right now, so you'll need to get between them by train or boat (no boat from Corniglia). I'd probably wind up in Riomaggiore last as you head south back to La Spezia. You should be able to see all five towns easily and do at least one of the long hikes described above.
Aug 4th, 2017, 07:36 PM

Find out when the first ferry boat of the day leaves from La Spezia for le Cinque Terre and try to be on it. If there are cruise ships in port, you might need to get there early. Go all the way to Monterosso al Mare, so you can see all 5 towns from the water. Then hike + take trains or vice versa as you like. making your way back toward La Spezia.
Aug 4th, 2017, 08:13 PM
kja

If you get there before the the masses, I think starting a hike in Monterosso al Mare makes the most sense. If you arrive with or after others, you might want to start with the villages that aren't currently connected by hike-able trails (Riomaggiore, Manarola, Corniglia), and then hike from Corniglia through Vernazza to Monterosso al Mare. BUT you might want to approach your plans with a lot of flexibility -- those trails can get tricky when a lot of people are on them!

Be sure to have appropriate hiking gear -- depending on the weather, the park guards limit access to those who have suitable footwear.

Search this Thread