Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Cinque Terre,how many days to enjoy the area?

Sep 10th, 2007, 04:27 PM
Original Poster

Planning our first trip to CT.for early Sept. 2008. Is everything still open and do the ferrys still run in Sept? What can we expect for weather? How many nights should we stay to do the area justice?

From there we want to go to Rome (4-5 nights) and Positano (4-5 nights) We realize that there will be some travel involved, but we've been to both these locations before and want to see MORE!
Also, will ferrys still be running in mid Sept from Positano?
Any other info would be helpful,
Thanks----
Sep 10th, 2007, 05:24 PM

Hi K,

Our trip was 3 nights in Santa Margherita Ligure at the Hotel Laurin, 3* right on the marina.

First day was arrival in the early afternoon, we strolled the town and the lovely beachfront park, had a great seafood dinner at La Cambusa.

Second day, we took the train south to Riomaggiore, stopped for a long and fabulous lunch in Corniglia (SP?) and continued on to Vernazza and a well deserved gelatto stop! Pooped out here and trained back to SML. Had a lovely picnic dinner on our private terrace and enjoyed the sunset.

Third day, took the first boat (10 min.) over to Portofino, wandered and window shopped, then parked ourselves at one of the restaurants on the marina. Enjoyed the sun, lots of wine, and watched the gigantic yaghts wiggle in.

We would have loved a third, full day. I would have liked to visit Carrara which we saw from the train on the way up.
Sep 11th, 2007, 04:36 AM

ttt
Sep 11th, 2007, 06:24 AM

We stayed 8 glorious days in Manarola,,We rented a very nice apartment and just enjoyed the 5 villages.
Just to change our everyday pattern we visited Pisa one day and the next we went to Portofino..beautiful, expensive but very charming town.
We did our usual walkings and explorings the other villages, swimmings, took the boat from Monterosso to RioMaggiore.
It was a very enjoyable stay..We hope to go back again. To us CT was a true Heaven on Earth.
Sep 11th, 2007, 06:41 AM

We were in CT last year for 3 days and 2 nights late September. One more night would have been better. The ferrys were running and the weather was perfect in the 70's. The ferrys will be running in Positano all of September.
Sep 11th, 2007, 11:55 AM

Hello Klap
I think is better stay in one town
and enjoy to visit other place (portofino -Pisa - Portovenere)
and come back have relax in the evening -wacthed sunset - drink a glass wine on the breakwater -talking
in the square -walking -swimming
Make your stay special in CT
I suggest you the place have you ever been Vernazza the best of the CT
for the accomodation can you look at google.com "room in Vernazza 5 terre"
or in tripadvisor Vernazza forum
I sept the weather is good we take the grapes now and the ferries running untill Nov 5 ( I think also in Positano)
mino from vernazza
Sep 14th, 2007, 05:43 PM
Original Poster

What major airport would be closest to CT?
Thanks
Sep 14th, 2007, 06:33 PM

K,

I think it would be Pisa. We trained up from Orvieto, through Florence, had to change trains in Pisa (where we did a 3 hour stop to see the Tower and duomo) then continued on the local train to SML.
Sep 14th, 2007, 06:38 PM
SRS

We spent four nights in Manarola last year and five nights this year. It was still not enough time! You cannot go wrong - it is simply beautiful. We stayed at a place called Arpaiu both times. Absolutely perfect!
Sep 14th, 2007, 06:40 PM
SRS

FYI we were there both times the third week of August. I think you'll be okay in early September but I would start in CT and chase the weather south. In August last year during our time period I think it was mid-upper 80s. This year it was upper 70s.

I think you need at least 2-3 nights to make it worth it, but 4 plus would be much better!
Sep 15th, 2007, 12:53 PM
Original Poster

Ok--We are thinking of 4 - 5 nights in CT. Then on to Positano 4-5 nights.
I think it will be a looooong day between CT and Amalfi, but we want to finish the trip in Rome 4-5 nights.(easier to get home from there)
Questions
#1. Best airport to fly into to get to CT?
#2 Best way to get to Positano from there?
#3 Best way to get to Rome from Positano?
#4 Does this sound like a ridiculous itinerary?
All advice welcome!
Sep 15th, 2007, 06:06 PM

Hi again K,

Have you visited Italy before? I think your itinerary is very nice, with the right amount of time per area. However, I'm not sure it's one I would do for a first trip.

The reason is, visiting the Cinque Terre and Amalfi Coast is giving you 2/3s of your trip by the ocean in small villages with cliffs and wonderful scenery. This is great, but do you want to spend this much time in the same type of area? Although if you want to see Pompeii and Naples, then the similarities go right out the window!

Yes, the day traveling by train from CT to Positano will be a long one. Check out the www.trenitalia.com site for train schedules and travel times. You will probably have to change trains twice at the minimum. In Pisa and Naples. Once in Naples, you can have a private driver take you to Positano, or get the local train (Circumvesuviana) to Sorrento, then the SITA bus to Positano.

Be sure to take the ES (Eurostar) trains whenever possible, faster.

I would recommend the private driver from Naples based on this long day of travel.

Buon viaggio!
Sep 15th, 2007, 06:08 PM

Oops, I'm sorry. I just read again that you have visited Positano and Rome before. How did you travel from Positano to Rome before?
Sep 16th, 2007, 06:22 AM
Original Poster

DAYLE, LAST TIME WE FLEW INTO NAPLES, DRIVER TO POSITANO & BACK TO NAPLES.
THEN TRAIN BACK TO ROME.
THOUGHT WE'D BEGIN UP NORTH, BUT WANT TO END UP IN ROME FOR BETTER FLIGHTS HOME.
ALSO, I CAN ONLY GET ONTO TRENITALIA SITE IN ITALIAN---SURE I'VE DONE THIS BEFORE BUT I CAN'T SEEM TO PULL IT UP IN ENGLISH! HELP!
Sep 16th, 2007, 08:45 AM

K,

It's been a while since I've looked at the site, and I can't find anything for English either. At least it looks like they have improved the site!

It's not too hard to figure out and these are some good, basic travel words to learn.

On the main page on the left side with the fields to complete:

First box asks where you want to leave from

Second box asks where you want to arrive

Third box asks when you want to leave,
day, month, year, hour, minute

You should be able to take from there!

One thing I've found very helpful is to print out the entire morning / afternoon / evening schedule. This helps you see which trains are faster, gives you more options, and you have your options right with you before arrival at the station in case you change your minds, get delayed, etc.

I don't buy tickets ahead of time, unless I pick up my next departure ticket when I arrive at a station. Haven't tried the e ticket thing yet.

Hope this helps.
Sep 16th, 2007, 08:48 AM

One other thing I just remembered about the Cinque Terre boats. We were there in May and at that time of year, the boats didn't run as frequently as in high season. We were unable to take the boat from Vernazza back to SML, nothing scheduled for that route. Just check before you set out for the day, so you know what you can do.
Sep 16th, 2007, 11:40 AM

Hello Klapp
1* the best (or nearest) are
Pisa or Genova (80 km )
2*The best way go to Positano take the
intercity train in La Spezia at 07.59
arrive in Napoli at 14.36
(if you stay in Vernazza leaving at 07.16 arriving in La Spezia at 07.34)
From Naples to Positano take a bus
3* From Positano to Roma take bus and
train Napoli to Roma
4* the itinerary is your choose and is very good
good planning
mino
from Vernazza the best
Sep 16th, 2007, 11:48 AM

I use this link for trenitalia.com in English:
http://www.trenitalia.com/en/index.html

You may want to check various airline sites for any convenient flights from either Genoa or Pisa.