Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   CINQUE TERRE hotel & train from SML (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/cinque-terre-hotel-and-train-from-sml-467920/)

DAX Aug 17th, 2004 11:35 PM

CINQUE TERRE hotel & train from SML

1.Looking for info on duration & comfort/convenience in taking a train from Santa Margherita to Cinque Terre for the day.

2.We have never been to Cinque Terre so we have no idea how to prioritize the towns as we may not be able to see all in one day.

3.We are also open to staying in Cinque Terre if SML is too far/impractical. Perhaps someone knows a great hotel in Cinque Terre with some luxury/comfort for our pampered wives? We heard there is no 4 or 5 star, so we're hoping for a super 3 star.

THANKS FODORITES! My apologies for the multiple questions.

GeoffHamer Aug 18th, 2004 01:49 AM

You can check train schedules on www.bahn.de, or schedules and fares on www.trenitalia.com. Make sure you enter the names of the stations you want - Monterosso, for example.
You can also do it by boat in summer: www.traghettiportofino.it.

woodsie Aug 18th, 2004 01:52 AM

spent a day walking thru the cinque terre and loved it (planning to return in May 2005). Try the Marina Piccola hotel website

Byrd Aug 18th, 2004 04:46 AM

Check out Hotel Porto Roco (four star) in Monterosso.

We loved it. Great terraces over the sea, beautiful views.

Good info on Cinque Terre is on www.cinqueterre.it. The Porto Roca is described under "Monterosso" there.

Byrd

DAX Aug 18th, 2004 06:36 AM

GeoffHamer: Thanks for the ferry internet site! May consider going by ferry and returning by train if we go for the day. I wished the site elaborates on travel duration.

Woodsie: Thanks for the hotel Marina Picolla tip. Can you tell me what did like/dislike about staying there? Places to go/eat in town.

Byrd: I am glad to get the CT internet site from you. Thanks!! Hotel Porto Rocco looks like a nice 4 star, how far of a walk was it from the station? How far did you have to drag your suitcase?

Anyone else willing to share their special places in CT?

Byrd Aug 18th, 2004 06:54 AM

DAX- The hotel sent a car to the train station to pick us up, so we didn't have to drag our suitcases up the hill!

We did, however, walk up and down lots of times. The beach is right at the bottom of the hill, as is the town.

The "road" up to the Porto Roca is actually part of the hiking trail, and when the little car went zipping up that narrow little path, part of which was occupied by hikers, I thought we were about to take our first swim in the Ligurian Sea!

We absolutely loved the CT and the Porto Roca in particular. Our room (on the top lelvel) was plenty nice, but the terrace was great. I think it was probably larger than the room, and part of it was covered by an awning.

We had two great dinners at the restaurant, and breakfast was served outside with that beautiful view.

Oh my, I want to go back!

Byrd

Huitres Aug 18th, 2004 09:28 AM

DAX: SML to the CT is a 45 minute-1 hour train ride. Other than the Hotel Porto Roco in Monterosso al mare, you are right not to expect 4 and 5 star hotels in the Cinque Terre. The CT is not about luxury lodging, it is/was a more backward strip of coastline with towns that were not linked by trains until the 1930s. By virtue of their isolation from the rest of Italy, they remained "behind the times" in terms of development and tourism. That is the very appeal to their charm. I would hate for the CT to be ruined by 4 and 5 star hotels and luxury highrises. Why stay in an over-priced place when you can enjoy a more authentic experience staying in a truly Italian lodging that doesn't cater to American and foreign tourists' dollars? Monterosso al mare has many hotels to choose from, you can access that information via the website: http://www.monterossonet.com/ita/strutture/index.htm

Other than Monterosso al mare, I would recommend staying in Riomaggiore at the Hotel Villa Argentina. Aside from their hotel rooms, they rent several large villas (~200 euros for the day) and apartments throughout the town with wonderful seaviews and ambiance.

strass Aug 18th, 2004 09:43 AM

I don't know anything about what "pampered wives" might need, but I do think Vernazza is the prettiest town of the five! I rented a lovely room above a gelateria there for two nights. CT is all about hiking, eating, and relaxing in the sun. It's rustic, simple, and picturesque. I only got to visit Vernazza, Corniglia, and Manarola, and have heard that Monterosso has the most hotel options.

chicgeek Aug 18th, 2004 10:30 AM

We stayed at the Porto Roca (I think it is 4-star) this past June, and loved it. Our room wasn't that luxurious, BUT it had a balcony with a gorgeous view of the Mediterranean. And having breakfast and dinner on the terrace of the restaurant is worth staying there. The view is incredible. A great day is taking the ferry to all the other villages in the morning (walking the Via di Amore between two), having lunch at the Lampara in town (outstanding), hitting the beach in the afternoon, and dinner at Porto Roca that night. Heavenly day.

Mincepie Aug 18th, 2004 11:08 AM

I agree with comments about the hotel Porto Rocco. I forget when you are going..but I believe it closes in October. You would need to use the hotel car to the train station..although not far..it is steep. Walks are beautiful and boat and train service very reliable.

DAX Aug 18th, 2004 05:58 PM

We are planning to be there in early June. I really appreciate all the personal experience reports, they help me understand the area better. Love to hear more specific places/details.

Porta Rocca seems to be the hotel for us unless we are travelling by ferry from SML(where we leave our car) to Riomaggiore(only town with ferry service according to its internet site)

Any personal report of Villa Argentina or the town itself? We can forego the ferry and simply travel by train to Monterosso if Riomaggiore is less desirable or too far south.

Our wives also like the idea of a rental villa if there is maid service since nobody likes doing domestic chores during vacation. Any such thing in CT or Lake Como area?

CarolJean Aug 18th, 2004 08:51 PM

I hate to say it, but I really don't think the Cinque Terre is for you and your "pampered wives." CJ

DAX Aug 18th, 2004 10:05 PM

Really CarolJean? My wife is quite enthusiastic to see it because we enjoyed Portofino & Lerici a lot during our honeymoon and had regrets about skipping CT.

I am the traveller so I enjoy being anywhere but I do strive to enhance the travel experience for her, that's why I do a thorough accomodation & restaurant research before any trip.

Huitres Aug 18th, 2004 10:25 PM

DAX: All the CT towns have ferry/boat service, as well as train service connecting them. 5-Terre is the local boat service that runs between the 5 towns and Portovenere, even up to Portofino. Likewise, if you buy the CT daily card, you have unlimited usage of the local trains and can get on/off at each and every town you choose, as well as walk the Via Dell'More (easiest walk between Riomaggiore and Manarola) all for one low price.

There isn't a "less desirable" town than others, it is all about preference. I am biased to Riomaggiore because I have family friends there and I love it there; however others are equally enthusiastic about Vernazza, and Monterosso al mare, etc. Since you have been to Lerici and Portofino, you can expect that type of a place, although a bit more rustic and laid back.

Yes, all the hotels have maid service. Specifically, the Villa Argentina in Riomaggiore and their villa and apt rentals all do. If you get a room in the hotel, they have a daily, ample breakfast that is served (yogurts, fruit, bread, granola, sweetbreads, cereal, coffee, juices, etc). Check out their website for more information and details: http://www.emmeti.it/Welcome/Liguria.../index.uk.html

CarolJean Aug 19th, 2004 08:11 PM

DAX - I don't presume to know where you would stay but I heartily reccomend the Marina Piccolo in Manarola for dinner. The CT is all about walking from town to town and you should be aware that although there is scheduled boat service from town to town, it is dependent on sea conditions. The docks are small and if the seas are rough the boat cannot pick up or discharge passengers in which case it is necessary to take the train. That said, I absolutely loved it there. You just need to have all (or some) of the facts. Bon voiyage. CJ

Byrd Aug 20th, 2004 05:39 AM

Well, it's not ALL about walking from town to town.

We walked some of the trails, but also took the train. The train rides between the towns are just a few minutes, and if hiking is not your thing, it's a great way to see and explore all the little towns.

DAX Aug 21st, 2004 02:49 PM

Huitres,CarolJean & Byrd, thanks for your great info & hotel/restaurant recommendation. I'm planning to buy the CT card and combine the train with hiking & taking a ferry to see CT from the waterside.

I'm wondering which town has the most dramatic ferry landing/view if I have to pick one. Also what's the most dramatic hike (from which town to the next?) if we can only do two hikes.

I'm glad that everyone on this board is quite generous with providing specific infos. I've learned a lot! Thanks again.