Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

CINQUE TERRE BOAT WITH EURORAIL SELECTPASS

Old Sep 9th, 2004, 04:09 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I plan on traveling from Menton to Vernazza and then the same day travel around in the area. Thinking of taking the train to La Spezia and then the boat back to Vernazza. Will my pass cover this boat?
Old Sep 9th, 2004, 04:24 AM
rex

I don't have your answer, but I am crossing my fingers that you have checked your itinerary at www.railsaver.com to see how much money you save - - NOT! - - with a "railpass".

Best wishes,

Rex
Old Sep 9th, 2004, 05:38 AM
Original Poster

Yes I have checked and it does average out to be cheaper since I am also using it for some quite long journeys. So when I take these journeys into account the pass does work out a little cheaper if I plan to go somewhere else the same day as I travel to Vernazza. It does not pay if I just travel from Menton to Vernazza!!!!!!
Old Sep 9th, 2004, 05:47 AM

Having used train passes in Italy before, I have never seen any boats such as the ones along the CT listed as being included. Very few boat lines are included on passes -- the Swiss Lake steamers and the KD line on German Rivers, being only a couple of exceptions.
You can easily email RailEurope and ask them. They are great about getting back within a day or two answering all specific questions by email.
Old Sep 9th, 2004, 07:49 AM

The boats are run by private companies totally unconnected with the railways. Your rail pass will definitely not cover the boat. Italian train fares are calculated according to the distance in kilometres and are very cheap. Boat fares will be a lot higher than the train fare, but are still reasonable compared with similar trips elsewhere in Europe.