Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Cinque Terra in one day? Mont Blanc tunnel?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 8th, 2002, 04:47 AM
Heather

Is it possible to see Cinque Terre in 1 day? We are thinking about a train from Siena to Pisa early a.m., sight see for a few hours, then on to San M. (Portifino area) for the evening. Next day travel down to C.T. for the day and back to San M. for a second night. We will do some trails in CT (the short ones) but not big hikers.Would it be better if we stay in C.T. instead of San Mar.?? <BR><BR>Second part of my question: After C.T./ Portofino area, we want to head to Mont Blanc or Megeve. What would be the quickest and best way to get there?? How long from Portifino area? What is the Mont Blanc Tunnel? Where do we catch it at? We were thinking of 1 day in Monte Blanc or Megeve then head to Beaune for the night. Is that a long train ride from Mont Blanc? We definetly want to spend 2 days in the Burgandy area and thought Beaune would be a good base. I know, a lot of questions. Hope someone can help.

Old May 8th, 2002, 05:24 AM
Cindy

The Mont Blanc Tunnel is a toll road through the mountains via Torino. The fee is quite expensive, about $30 two years ago, I think. But Mont Blanc is worth it!

Old May 8th, 2002, 02:45 PM
Heather

So, the Monte Blanc Tunnel is car only? What about a train to Mont Blanc from Santa Marg. L. ? How long would that take? What's there to do in Monte Blanc in July? Any suggestions on where to stay for the night?

Old May 8th, 2002, 04:23 PM
Sue

You can diffinitely so the CT in one day form SM. Go early as it can get hot. The longest walk is 2 hours from Monterosso to Vernazza. I did this walk last summer and I am in my late fifties. The other wlaks are easy. You do not have to so all of them. The walk to Vernazza from Monterosso has the most breath taking view of Monterosso. It is worth it. Th walk that you could leave out is the 300plus steps up to Corniglia. The view is fab, but all the views are fab. The town is sweet but small. Have fun.

Old May 9th, 2002, 12:12 PM
ppp

I´ve only toured the Mont Blanc area with a car ... On the Italian side of the tunnel is Courmayeur and on the French side there´s Chamonix. To reach Chamonix by train from Sta. Margherita, it would take about 8 hours (train changes in Milan and Martigny). <BR><BR>I don´t know exactly how one may reach Courmayeur on public transportation. I´d suspect one has to train to Ivrea or Borgofranco and take a bus, eventually with a change in Aosta. I don´t think one may do it in less than 7 hours or so. I´s also suspect that there´s a bus connecting Courmayeur and Chamonix.<BR><BR>During July, one may take lifts up Mount Blanc, hike and enjoy the view. IMO Chamonix is quite nicer than Courmayeur.

Old May 9th, 2002, 12:41 PM
Heather

8 hours?! Does anyone know a quicker way to get to France from CT or Santa Marg. L. area?? We will skip Mont Blanc if we have to. Wanted to spend sometime in Beaune and Burgundy area then on to Paris. Would it be better to get to Mont Blanc or Beaune on an overnight train from CT?? Are they expensive?

Old May 9th, 2002, 02:54 PM
ppp

The best you can do to enter France is following the coast, to Ventimiglia. It´ll take you from 3 to 4+ hours depending on departure time. From Ventimiglia to Mentos it´s 10 min or so. Nice it´s about 50 minutes away. There´s a train that leaves S. Margherita at 7:45am, arriving in Nice at 11:51am. That´s the best you can do. <BR><BR>To Beaune it´s even worse (compared to Chamonix). The best you can do is 9:10 hours with 3 train changes. <BR><BR>There´s a night train leaving Genoa at 0:25am, arriving in Dijon at 7:20am. From there one may find one´s way to Beaune (short trip). To get to Genoa in time for this train, your choices aren´t very bright You either leave at 10:00pm and wait almost 2 hours for the train in Genoa, or leave 20 min later, change in Rapallo, and shorten your wait to 40 min.