Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Cinqe Terre or Amalfi Coast? for wedding location.

Old Nov 29th, 2005, 10:50 AM
Original Poster

We are fairly certain about wanting to exchange "symbolic vows" somewhere on the coast of Italy, but are having difficulty deciding where. It seems that both the Amalfi Coast and Cinque Terre are extremely beautiful. For what it is worth, we are more attracted to an authentic feeling of Italy. We have looked at Positono, Ravello, Verannza and other of the five lands. Please help, way too much beauty!
Old Nov 29th, 2005, 02:23 PM

hi-
i was in Amalfi (the city) in October. I have never been to Cinqe Terre so i cannot compare for you. Amalfi the city was beautiful. There is a plaza in front of the Duomo which would be a good place for a wedding with lots of space for chairs and maybe have the ceremony on the steps. Also, there is a dock or jetty protruding out to the sea that would serve as a good picture spot, enabling you to be far enuff in the water to get the whole view.
We traveled to Positano for the day, everyhting is basically 1 hour bus ride from each other... Positano has the best beach, but pretty touristy. I tried to get to Ravello one day, but the bus was full. I heard Ravello is all esates and gardens... another good option.
If you are truly looking of ran authentic feeeling Italian location, then i suggest Sicily. It is 360º coast and soooo beautiful. Very homey and relaxing. Please do your self a favor and check out Taormina or Giardina Naxos.
If you email me I can send you some pictures.
Old Nov 29th, 2005, 02:26 PM

well i thought you could click on my name and get my email... apparently not...
[email protected]
Old Dec 3rd, 2005, 07:00 AM

We were in Santa Margherita Ligure in Ocotber which is west and north along the coast from where you looked at the Cinque Terre.
We stayed there for two nights and on our 1/2 day devoted to simply strolling the city, we came upon a wedding party gathering on the terrace of the Palazzo Durazzo and a church adjacent to it.
It was not a really young couple marrying (exchanging vows?) with all of the bridesmaids, etc. It was an adult group with very few children.

The Palazzo is located in a lovely park, up on a hill, and the views from the terraces on all sides were beautiful. Indoors, there were at least 2 rooms set up for reception, with tables and trays of food, all lit by candlelight.

I am overdue in my remarks here about Santa Margherita and CT. (I am a huge procrastinator of such things.) If you have any interest in this area, I'll try to locate more info in my files.

Old Dec 4th, 2005, 08:36 AM

Dear whetseat -
I actually do not have the brochure I thought I must have packed from SML's visit.
I do know that I incorrectly named the Durazzo. It is not the Palazzo, but... the Villa Durazzo.
The name of the church is San Giacomo di Corte. The grounds are perfect for any reception ~ fountains, garden paths, statuary (sp?) Wonderful photo environs for any party. Just lovely.
Good luck with your planning.
Old Mar 6th, 2006, 12:35 PM

Positano is a stunning place to celebrate your wedding. Words are not enough to describe the feelings and emotions provoked by this cliff-side village with pastel-shaded houses precariously clinging to the rocky cliff, lemon and jasmine-scented streets, olive groves and turquoise sea. In the words of John Steinbeck, "Positano bites deep. It is a dream place that isn't quite real when you're there but becomes beckoningly real after you have gone".

Ravello is located on the ridge projecting from the mountain that divides the Valle del Dragone (Dragon's Valley) and del Regina. Based at 350 meters on the sea level, Ravello overhangs the underlying towns of Minori and Maiori. This enchanted place is among the most beautiful in the whole Amalfi Coast, with an intense and unique landscape. Ravello is renowned for its peacefulness and the deep fascination it emanates from each corner and its image is mostly connected with villas with breathtaking views seen all around the world by pictures.
It is said Ravello is situated ‘halfway between the sky and the sea’ and it is certainly one of the most beautiful places in the world.
This village known as the "town of music" has breathtaking views and irresistible romantic gardens for your wedding of a lifetime.
Ravello is the ideal destination for an exclusive wedding in Italy. The writer Andre Gide has given a wonderful and synthetic description: "Ravello is nearer to the sky than it is to the shore".
Ravello is like an open terrace facing the sea and offering from its dizzy heights, the spectacular view of green terraces cultivated with lemon trees declining to a sea of extraordinary colors constantly changing between deep azure and brilliant emerald.

Amalfi coast is a real paradise
You should have to get married there

jacqueline

Old Mar 6th, 2006, 03:02 PM

whet--what time of the year will this take place?
Old Mar 6th, 2006, 05:39 PM

What's your budget and are you planning to invite friends?

Amalfi is not just pricey when it comes to hotel rooms, it is pricey and difficult to get to without car or driver. It is jampacked in summer.

Cinque Terre is on a train line. It is also jampacked in summer. Top of the line accommodations in CT cost about what bottom tier accommodations cost in Amalfi (although you can find bargains if you dig and don't insist on 4-inch thick towels).

If you want a dramatically beautiful backdrop for your ceremony, I would pick Ravello. If you want an "authentic feeling of Italy," take a look at Lerici - or even Atrani! Or how about Camogli? I agree that Sicily would be great too.

If you need cliffs, maybe Vernazza off season or Corniglia is what you are lookng for. But you probably want to go off season when it's not a mob scene.
Old Mar 6th, 2006, 06:05 PM

Ahhhh-Positano!

The Amalfi coast is unreal!

Rent a car and drive all around. Get on boat and spend the day on Capri. Go into the Blue Grotto.

WOW-it'll fluf your arua!
Old Mar 6th, 2006, 07:22 PM

You can't go far wrong either way, but for sheer beauty I think Amalfi Coast has the edge; for practicality, or people traveling by train, CT may have an edge.