Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Cingue Terre for 1 night (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/cingue-terre-for-1-night-1667319/)

egbautista May 20th, 2019 03:39 PM

Cinque Terre for 1 night

My family of 3 will be taking the train from Pisa to Cinque Terra beginning of July, we have booked a night in Riomaggiore. Would love any suggestions (sightseeing, restaurants) for such a quick visit.

Thank you

Elizabeth

neckervd May 21st, 2019 02:31 AM

There is nothing to see at Riomaggiore. The only attraction is the hiking trail to Corniglia.

Andrew May 21st, 2019 09:30 AM

Take a ferry to the other towns. Many people hike between towns but some trails are closed.

Strolling_Adventures May 26th, 2019 10:45 PM

We stayed 2 nights in Corniglia and walked Corniglia - Vernazza - Monterosso. We wished we had another day to walk Corniglia - Volastra - Manarola. If you aren't wanting to walk I would suggest taking the train between towns and simply wandering around.
​​​​​​Travel to Cinque Terre and see five beautiful towns - Strolling Adventures

AirBalloon May 29th, 2019 11:21 AM

The whole Cinque Terre area is now totally overrated. I would not waste one hour there with so many other interesting, important and beautiful areas to visit in Italy.

MmePerdu May 29th, 2019 11:56 AM

I wouldn't call it wasted but believe that time of year there are better options. The best thing about the Cinque Terre is the vortex that sucks the lemmings to it, leaving a number of equally beautiful towns without the crowds for the rest of us.

Andrew May 29th, 2019 12:33 PM

Originally Posted by AirBalloon (Post 16927252)
The whole Cinque Terre area is now totally overrated. I would not waste one hour there with so many other interesting, important and beautiful areas to visit in Italy.

I just got back from my third visit to the Cinque Terre and hikes some trails I hadn't hiked before (less busy than the "main" trails I hiked a few years ago). The views are just magical and breathtaking in spots. I wouldn't want to be stuck on one of the busy trails mid-day especially in the summer, but there are ways to avoid some of the tourist crowding. And the riviera offers more opportunities than just the Cinque Terre - it's a wonderful area.

PalenQ May 29th, 2019 12:59 PM

Trains go frequently between all 4 seaside towns. I'd head to Vernazza - do the easy mainly flat walking esplanade to Corniglia - little steep at end. But the antipathy many show against the CT towns stems from how super crowded all the towns are - negating any romance they have. Trains - most from Pisa to Riomagggiore are regional (R) trains that have flat fares - no seat reservations even possible so just buy when ready to travel - at stations or online. For lots on trains check www.trenitalia.com; www.seat61.com; BETS-European Rail Experts and www.ricksteves.com.

StCirq May 29th, 2019 01:53 PM

My suggestion would be to skip it.

If beautiful coastal areas are what you're after there are lots better options.

AirBalloon May 29th, 2019 02:17 PM

There is one motto I travel by:

If a first time traveller considers it a must see, I stay away.

Andrew May 29th, 2019 02:44 PM

Originally Posted by AirBalloon (Post 16927366)
There is one motto I travel by:

If a first time traveller considers it a must see, I stay away.

So much for Rome, Venice, and Florence then LOL!

ToujoursVoyager May 29th, 2019 10:12 PM

I agree with Andrew; I have been to Cinque Terre multiple times and the trails are breathtaking (and deserted if you hike the upper ones). There is a way to avoid the tourists and the crowds.

bvlenci May 30th, 2019 07:03 AM

The problem is that it is very hard to get away from the crowds with a one-night stay. It's a two-hour train trip from Pisa, so even with an early start, you'd hardly be able to get out on the trails before lunch. Most of the lower trails are closed, and the higher trails require good walking shoes and an adequate level of fitness. Anyway, in July, I wouldn't want to do any hiking in the afternoon.

The next day, you'd be heading somewhere else, and would have to check out of your lodging fairly early. You could probably leave your bags at your hotel or B&B, but you'd have no place to shower or change after a hike.

If you could stay for two nights, you could catch an early tourist bus to some of the trail heads and have a nice hike before it gets hot. If you can really stay only one night, I would just lie low until the crowds disperse, and then explore one of the five towns; and get out of there before the tour buses start arriving the next day. Fortunately, Riomaggiore is not as crowded as some of the other towns, but, still...

Fleur_de_Lis May 30th, 2019 09:13 AM

Hi Elizabeth,

Sorry you have't received a ton of...um... encouragement on here :) As other posters have stated, many folks stay away from Cinque Terre because it's so crowded. But some of these same posters are hinting about ways to "get around the crowds" and avoid them. Perhaps some of you could enlighten us to what those ways are? (I've only been to Cinque Terre once in May back before it was super popular, but it was beautiful and totally worth it - I'd even consider going back now, despite the crowds).

I actually stayed in Riomaggiore and I loved it! There's a very cute beach (albeit rather rocky) where my friend and I lay in the sun for hours. You could check it out - or you could take the train to Vernazza, which was adorable and very enjoyable. Don't forget to try the pesto while you're there - Cinque Terre pesto is really unique and wonderful!

But I think we should ask the other commenters how you can best avoid the crowds during your stay there? Not at all being sarcastic - i think this would be super helpful for Elizabeth if she's definitely set on going there in July (and I'm interested to know myself)

Fleur_de_Lis May 30th, 2019 09:15 AM

And just saw Bvlenci's post, which has the kind of helpful hints I was hoping for! Also agree two days is more ideal.

AirBalloon May 30th, 2019 02:12 PM

Hi Andrew,

There are exceptions to every rule :)

ToujoursVoyager May 30th, 2019 08:02 PM

Dear Fleur de lys,

To avoid crowds, I kind of apply the same formula to any beautiful touristy location, whether it is Cinque Terre, Venice or Angkor Wat.

1) I get up before sunrise, get a cup of coffee, get ready fast, and go out the door. The early morning sunlight is simply gorgeous; there is almost no one in the streets. Last time I trekked the Monterosso to Vernazza trail with my mother, daughter and husband, we left the hotel in Vernazza by 6 am. Took the first train Vernazza to Monterosso. Sleepy Monterosso was almost empty, but there was a cafe opened where we got breakfast. We still had plenty of time to start our climb from Monterosso in the direction of Vernazza. By the time we finished back in Vernazza, we went for lunch (with reservations) and we relaxed at the hotel.

By 5pm we went out again, this time to swim, the day trippers were dwindling down. In the evening and into the night it is lively without being suffocating.

2) I go off the beaten path. In the case of Cinque Terre, it means the upper trails. I highly recommend the Manarola-Volasta-Corniglia one. In Venice, it means meandering a few streets away from San Marco (and seeing San Marco either early morning, early night, or both). In Angkor Wat it means not seeing the sunrise at Angkor Wat but at Bakheng instead.

Fleur_de_Lis May 31st, 2019 08:04 AM

Thank you Toujours! Really helpful info.

celfan Jun 2nd, 2019 11:25 AM

My wife and I have visited the CT twice during the past four years and will probably go back next fall. Yup, it's crowded with day trippers from the cruise ships. They usually show up around 10:30 and head back to the ship around 4:00. On our last trip my wife and I decided to be out of the villages during this time and explore other areas. We took the train to Camogli, we biked through the abandoned tunnels of Levante (very underrated town one stop from CT and a very nice beach).We took the bus to Telaro, admtitedly we didn't take the right bus and stopped every three feet, but Tellaro turned out to be possibly my favorite town in Italy. I think there is a boat between Portovenere and Telaro but we were there too late in the season. The village of Portovennere is on the crowded boat line, but most people don't get off or if they do, don't wander into town. We loved exploring there.

It's crowded. If you're in Manarola or Vernazza at two in the afternoon it's like being in Disneyland. But the villages are so beautiful we deal with it and do a little extra planning. We get up early and hit a trail before the crowds all fight for the (often) one foot wide trails. We go to bed an hour later and enjoy Vernazza lit up with plenty of space to stretch out.

My main concern when visiting the CT is the weather. If it rains there's very little to do and I wouldn't hike there when it's wet. We were fortunate enough to have perfect, dry weather when we visited and I was amazed each time we walked down to Corniglia (from Manarola) that I managed to not twist an ankle after sliding on gravel and stepping on stones that may or may not have been anchored securely.

I can't think of a more beautiful area. Lots of people here suggest going to other areas that are "just as beautiful", but almost never mention these supposed dime-a-dozen towns. I think the most vocal critics are those that day tripped and saw nothing but crowds. The mornings and evenings are glorious.

MmePerdu Jun 2nd, 2019 12:01 PM

Originally Posted by celfan (Post 16929527)
. . . I think the most vocal critics are those that day tripped and saw nothing but crowds. . .

So those who disagree simply from a personal perspective must have had an innately inferior plan? Wanting to bail for much of the day doesn't seem like a plan worthy of bragging rights either.

I visited prior to the recent influx, enjoyed an apartment in Monterosso for several days in the spring, shared the towns with locals & very few visitors. But places become fashionable, then overwhelmed, leaving innumerable beautiful spots begging (or not if they're collectively wise). A little digging will turn up those possibilities, rather than succumbing to the lure of the "Best of . . ." lists. I don't consider myself smarter for having been there before the crowds, just lucky. But a bit of research can make anyone lucky. If they don't mind crowds or like to see what the fuss is about, no big deal. But saying we don't know what we're talking about when we urge people to look further is just plain silly. I believe that's much of what these forums are for, more information, even when not specifically asked.